What is a realistic target to cut off my 10k time? (Read 842 times)

Hi. I was an occasional user of Cool Running which was fantastic for encouragement and advice (even though I mainly lurked) and hope I might be able to get something similar here. I ran my first race last week, a 10k, in a time of 54:58 (no real idea if that's good or not) and obviously want to improve on that time. I've tried searching, but haven't found anywhere that indicates what would be a realistic, but challenging, rate of improvement. I've been running properly for about 9 months, although I had tried taking it up a few times before then, and am tending to average around 20 miles per week over three or four runs. The next run I was thinking of entering was the Nike Human Race 10k at the end of August. Can anyone offer any advice on a good challenging target for me?
    "Distance breeds speed" - Oscar Wilde
      Rigsby, Lots of great advice on this site, but first you might want to make your log public, so that the folks can get as clear a picture as possible.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Rigsby, Lots of great advice on this site, but first you might want to make your log public, so that the folks can get as clear a picture as possible.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Repeating for emphasis Big grin Big grin MTA: Smarta$$es Clowning around

Quote from JVol44 on 6/3/2008 at 12:35 PM: Rigsby, Lots of great advice on this site, but first you might want to make your log public, so that the folks can get as clear a picture as possible. Repeating for emphasis MTA: Smarta$$es

an amazing likeness

I put a sign next to my back door so I see every day I head out -- "Distance breeds speed". Don't know if this theory is true or not, because I just made it up. But it works for me, I work on distance first, then add pace for the target race.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Don't know if this theory is true or not, because I just made it up.
                        You know you could have just attributed that quote to someone famous. There seems to be a bit of a feeling that I should make my log public. I have, although I've not actually been using it, so I've got a pretty long job of putting all my historic data in there if people are insistent.
                        "Distance breeds speed" - Oscar Wilde

Giants Fan

How far do you normally run for training? What is your longest run of the week? How many days a week do you run? All important.

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

response to training varies... I would say... 54:58 10k is.... 8:50 per mile. Dropping to 52 seconds is an 8:21. I think that is a realistic goal yet challenging goal. My suggestion is not run run faster but just run more...
                            RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Hi. I was an occasional user of Cool Running which was fantastic for encouragement and advice (even though I mainly lurked) and hope I might be able to get something similar here. I ran my first race last week, a 10k, in a time of 54:58 (no real idea if that's good or not) and obviously want to improve on that time. I've tried searching, but haven't found anywhere that indicates what would be a realistic, but challenging, rate of improvement. I've been running properly for about 9 months, although I had tried taking it up a few times before then, and am tending to average around 20 miles per week over three or four runs. The next run I was thinking of entering was the Nike Human Race 10k at the end of August. Can anyone offer any advice on a good challenging target for me?
                              Your next race will be faster if you train BUT no one can tell you how much you can drop your time. To get an idea of how your current time stacks up, you can check out your age graded time... http://www.runbayou.com/Wavacalc.htm I'm not sure on your age but let's assume you're a healthy 30 year old male (sorry if you're actually a 24 yr old female). As such, your 10k time is in the 49th percentile for your age. I guess that makes you average. Sorry again. Note that 60% is local class and 70% is regional class. Goal: Try moving up that % scale. A 5% improvement in age grading equates to a 5mins faster time for you (assuming you are 30 yr old male). Note that some folks want to run a specific average pace, e.g. 8mpm, or place in their division. Figure out what matters most to you. Anyway, pick a 10k training program and follow it basing your pace on your 10k performance (use the McMillan Pace Calculator). Coolrunning or HalHigdon.com has some easy to follow plans. Remember to gradually build your miles and be consistent in your training.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

If you continue training about the same amount, expect about the same time, maybe a few seconds to a minute faster if conditions are about the same. If you train more, expect a slightly better time if you don't get injured. If you train less, expect a slightly worse time. Looking at the 4 entries in your log though, slow down your training, they're all at 10K race pace. You shouldn't do all your running at the fastest pace you can race 10K. If you keep running, try to eliminate stretches of two or more consecutive days of no running, increase the amount you're running by a small amount, 50 min is an aggressive target. Based on your race though, your easy runs should be a lot slower (as in 1 min/km or 1:30/mile slower). If you didn't feel tired or out of breath at all after the 54:58, that's a different story, but I suspect you've been training too fast.