1st year running (Read 1204 times)

Today marks the 1st anniversary of my beginning as a runner!

On this day last year, I decided that it was time for a lifestyle change.  That day, my wife and I walked 32 minutes at the local park.  Later that week I found that after only 2 minutes of lite jogging, I was violently sucking air.  After 6 weeks, I could jog all of 1 mile straight.

Now, after 12 months of dedication (with the support of my loving family, esp. my DW), I have seen 968 miles of pavement, built my base to over 30 mpw (without getting injured Smile ), and have achieved my original weight goal by losing 37 pounds.  My 3rd half marathon is in November...shooting for a sub-2:00).  It took months, but I remember when I realized I had transitioned from the point of pushing myself to walk X times per week.  Now I feel a little disappointed when I don't lace 'em up on my rest days.  Pretty cool.

Overall, a much happier, healthier me is amazed at how running has improved my lifestyle.  Looking forward to more great changes in year 2 and a new set of goals to pursue.

You guys here at RA have been super helpful & motivating with all the advice and support for all levels of runners...especially us noobs.  Thank you all!

Thats a pretty solid first year Russell..........you've done really well.

Good job - and keep on running because it will continue to get better for you.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

definitely a great 1st yr!  &  I predict more great achievements for you!

jeffdonahue

Nice job - keep going, it only gets better.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

congratulations to you russell.   you are doing so well.

steph  

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Way to go! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Feeling the growl again

Nearly a thousand miles in your first year and targeting sub-2 HM in just a few months extra....very impressive!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

These success stories never get old.  Nice work!

Not at it at all. 

Nice job - keep going, it only gets better.

+1!  Enjoy!

That's an amazing first year! Congrats!!

Great Job!!  I recently started running again after taking several years off and am now remembering all the things I love about it!  Congrats on some pretty impressive goals.Approve

Slice

That's fantastic! You're rocking some pretty impressive numbers in both mileage and weight loss!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

Nice and consistent. Be very proud of yourself, you deserve to be. Big grin

Running Blog: On my two feet

jfa

Excellent !!