Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - dehydration sucks. I'm well acquainted, having gone near the red a couple of times. The first time I begged some road side vendor to give me a few blocks of ice to chew because I didn't have money.

The second time I actually stopped and bought a Gatorade.

I was near a marina and honestly thought about going over to a hose and just putting it directly in my mouth, but then thought better of that. Been dehydrated plenty of times on a run where water stops are essential with your thirst, or the post run Gatorade is drank in 30 seconds, but I've never been even close to where I was during that run.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Marco - welcome back!! Good luck getting back into the running and sounds like you enjoyed the holiday.

Keen - awesome week.  Your mention of avoiding tall metal poles in a thunderstorm reminded me of hockey days... field hockey is pretty much played regardless of weather, except if the turf is flooded (bear in mind, they're water turfs which are drained so that takes a LOT of rain in a short period), or thunderstorms - because having 22 people running around holding sticks of carbon fibre in a thunderstorm is generally a Bad Idea.

JMac - sounds like that humidity was brutal.  Yuk.  Hope conditions improve.  That just makes running miserable.  And thanks for the support.  I'm looking forward to this race, especially considering it's been almost 4 months since the last one.  I'm not sure it's going to be a PB course/conditions, but I'll certainly be aiming for a good time and hoping to also beat my 10km PB at either Auckland Road Champs or NZ Road Champs in the next month, given the training I've gotten under my belt.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark those dogs need serious exercise and they are actually pretty good cat chasers too. Here is what I else I found out about the dog: Bored German Shorthairs are famous for chewing through drywall, ripping the stuffing out of sofas, and turning your yard into a moonscape of giant craters.

Your wife and cat will be super happy. Smile But I think its probably the best dog for you - can probably run a 4 minute mile off the breader! Glad that everyone seems to like the new home and hope for good weather on the weekend for you!

Flavio: how come you never run in the botanic garden and instead always around that faculty on your easy days???

Keen: great week and long run. Your marathon PB is indeed a few minutes above the BQ time. That will be a party. Please post some pictures on strava as I have no doubt that you will make it with all that great work and consistency and animal / mamil counting.

Rune: amazing workout - i could have held that pace for 1km and you did 20 of it or so. Just a bummer that this is the easy pace for Marc for example Smile amazing that the cat apparently doesnt mind the sweaty smell of a runner. Nice one!

Piwi: hope you are able to shake the cold off soon!!!. The best thing about the 80s and the Ironwar is actually how those people looked like. Dave Scott had this great Marc Spitz mustache. Phantastic. I wish it was back in the days and I could grow one too without people wondering whether its Movember again Smile

Marco: hehe you trained at the table like a real Italian Smile love it. Was it crazy full? Do you recommend Sardinia? I have never been but I think I can drive to Genova in 7 hours and then take the fary?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

runethechamp

MArk - Good work juggling your running and the house move! Hope you end up liking the new place. And good luck with the unpacking.

Flavio - Happy belated birthday!

Watson - Nice week. That Tuesday workout sounds a lot like the fartlek workouts the Kenyans do.

Mick - Good to see you're getting some good consistency in your runs. And thanks for the comment about my workout, I hope the efforts will eventually pay off. And that cat is one of the friendly ones on one of my usual running routes, so I like to stop and talk to him when he's out. It was on the cooldown part of the run as well so I figured it didn't affect the workout much, if at all.

Corey - Nice week again for you. I was a bit weekend heavy on my runs last week as well but not nearly as much as you!

Piwi - Hope you feel better soon. Sucks when you get a bad cold like that.

Steve - I guess it's just wait and see for you regarding the race.

Marco - Welcome back! I like the sound of that table training you mention.

Keen - Super solid week! And nice paces on your tempo workouts. I was thinking your HR looked high for tempo efforts, but then I realized I have no idea what your max HR is.

JMac - Hope you are recovering well from your dehydration run. I had one workout in the summer two years ago where I think I must have been dehydrated before I started. Temperatures were in the mid 80s, and the tempo workout I was trying to do felt waaay harder than it should have. I cut it short by a mile when my HR started approaching 180, and even when I slowed down to a very slow jog it stayed at 160 or above for 10 more minutes.

I managed to reach my 50 mile goal for the week but it was not easy. Ran close to 11 easy miles on Saturday, and followed up with 2x6 miles at m-pace during my workout yesterday. Today all I want to do is take a nap as I'm super tired and sore all over. To prepare for my HM on Saturday my plan was to move Wednesday's workout to Tuesday, but I'm really not sure how that will work with only one easy day between two hard workout days. I will see how I feel tomorrow (and maybe check and see if JD has noted tomorrow's workout as one you can skip if you feel particularly tired).

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Jul 23, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 29, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>

Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
          Mon 6.0 10:03 1:00 Seattle is hot these days! 132 (69%) 410 strava
          Tue 5.0 9:38 0:48 More forest, less sidewalk with Sam 128 (67%) 335 strava
          Thu 11.4 7:54 1:30 Headlamp Tempo 146 (76%) 186 strava
          Sat 10.8 8:32 1:32 Running towards the fog 138 (72%) 265 strava
          Sun 17.0 8:00 2:16 M-pace galore 149 (78%) 368 strava
            50.2 8:31 7:07     1564  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - Thanks, and nice week yourself. My max HR is 196 (via 5k) with a resting ~40, possibly a little lower. This week is going to be a good deal cooler than any in the last couple months thanks to some storms rolling in, so I'm curious as to what my HR looks like during my upcoming workouts.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - I have this image of the dog exhausted and you pissed off you had to finish your workout early haha.

PRs are coming for you, you just ran 14K at 3:52/km.

MJ - The botanic garden charges an entry fee Big grin

Keen - I'm envious of your heart rate might!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Keen those group runs can mess with your paces. I just come to expect it now if i go run with the fasties then it will likely be 20-30kms at 4.30/km and Im buggered for the rest of the day 

Rune excellent week. I keep wanting to make a rude joke when i see the cat photos but have been refraining.........

Mark I used to be a good lightning conductor while windsurfing in storms with my 4.5m carbon mast haha.

Mick yeah I remember alot about the 80s. Magnum PI had the bomb moustache. Miami Vice looks so lame now but was so cool then !

Jmac that sounds nasty. I guess you didnt drink enough the day before ? I sip all day long out of a stainless steel tanker/drink bottle. I also pee all day long.....its a side effect 

Still coughing up a lung here but able to go and do the odd job.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

back in Tuscany it's hot and much more humid than in Sardinia. This morning I really suffered the intervals, with close to 100% humidity and 30 degree Celsius at 6 am after a few hours sleep (the kids struggle sleeping as they are not used to the hot weather...).

I decided to go for the 8X800 mt. aiming for 3'50'' per Km. It was really hard, but I somehow managed to keep the pace. The only deviation I allowed was to run 500 mt. in the 7th (there was water and I needed, so I stopped) and 1000 instead of 800 for the last (so I kept the training above 6000 total + 2 miles warm up and 2 miles cool down). Happy but tough going in this weather, i guess I got used to the UK after 10 years...

Mick, I definitely recommend Sardinia, you can go from genova or livorno, but book well in advance and go in lower season (June/July or September). also I love the west coast (green coast or costa verde) as it is still wild and not too much developed (less people around... there are a few beaches close to Oristano which are amazing and fairly wild).

I will be in Italy for another 3 weeks, working from here. Hopefully i will get used to the hot weather and will manage to keep up the training.

I see a lot of good training going on and i look forward to the races reports Smile

have a good week

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - another really solid week.  You have really been putting in the work!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Thanks guys. Although I am sure the training will show off somewhat in my race on Saturday I am nervous that it somehow will not, and if that were the case I think my motivation would take a serious dip. Looks like slightly less than ideal conditions with clear weather and lows of 55F the night before and predicted daytime highs of 76F, but with a race start of 8am I bet the effects will be minimal.

Piwi - Haha, I'm not even going to try to imagine what sort of comments you would leave . I think Mick left a funny one on my picture of the Oakland Mayor from the Warriors parade.

Keen - That's a good spread in HR. I get HR envy just like Flavio. Looking at your HR it looks like you run your tempo intervals harder than me, but that might be due to the temperatures there.

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - That's a good spread in HR. I get HR envy just like Flavio. Looking at your HR it looks like you run your tempo intervals harder than me, but that might be due to the temperatures there.

Yeah that HRR gives you a lot to play with!  My RHR is ~40-42, max is ~190.  Temperature does make a big difference, though.  I have to really work to hit Z3 in winter here, and in summer, it's much easier, probably different by ~6bpm worth on average.  It would probably be even more for you guys in the US given the wider temperature range.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marco: thanks for the suggestions! I have two school kids at home who force all of us to go on vacation during peak season due to the school break in Svizzera. But we might check it out in the first weeks of July maybe next year. Training in Tuscany means more Italian practice at the table? Carb overload Smile Enjoy!

Rune & Piwi: oh sorry I didnt know she was your mayor! I hope none of your friends were offended!!! I like the typical Piwi jokes commenting on Runes lounging doggy with the words of "Rune you look tired" Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - My HR has been a bit higher than I'd like for those tempo runs, but that's likely due to the heat and humidity. I've let pace on those go a bit and have largely been using Stryd to pace them, which seems to work well for me. Temps should be really nice the rest of the week, so I'm a bit anxious to see what my HR looks like during my tempo on Thursday.

Mark - Temperature does make a huge difference in my HR numbers. Once the temps get down into the 45F/7C range it usually takes a couple tempo miles for my HR to get to where it should be for those efforts.

So I'm trying the whole "long workout days, short(er) easy days" thing, but a thought occurred to me this morning: If I'm doing ~16mi/25k+ on a workout day, does that change how long my LR needs to be? It seems a bit "wimpy" to do the same or less easy mileage for a LR than I am doing a couple times a week with a workout included. Or perhaps that's the wrong way to look at it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Keen - It’s funny, I pretty much look at my long run days as a break in my workout schedule  . And I try hard to make sure I keep the effort low enough on those runs. It seems kind of opposite I guess, but at least the long run days will give you more time on your feet than the workout long runs.

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Over in LetsRun, I saw this pop up as a hot thread: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8940328

@brosendahl, is this you??? It has to be, sounds the same with very fast shorter times, but can't break 1:30 (and ran a 1:35 in the last race).

If it is, consider me the sleuth of this thread 

Anyway, if it is you, let us know, so we can post (over here) some help!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)