Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - weather looks pretty good at upper 40's with light rain. Of course, you will be super cold after the race when you're soaking wet, but otherwise, give it a go!

Keen - I do agree it can sometimes be weird. I'll be doing workouts in the 15-16 mile range, but my long run will be only 18. I think it's completely okay, as those 15-16 mile long runs involve a lot of walking or super slow jogging breaks, where the 18 milers are run non-stop (with maybe a few water breaks). On my easy days, I do not go above 10 miles though. My weeks generally break down as follows:

2Q: 14-16 miles with quality, or one long run

3E: 8-10 miles

1E: 6 miles, which are my recovery runs if done the day after a Q day, otherwise I take the day off.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Over in LetsRun, I saw this pop up as a hot thread: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8940328

@brosendahl, is this you??? It has to be, sounds the same with very fast shorter times, but can't break 1:30 (and ran a 1:35 in the last race).

If it is, consider me the sleuth of this thread 

Anyway, if it is you, let us know, so we can post (over here) some help!

There certainly is a wide range of training advice over there... I particularly like the "run 10-13 miles at 7:00 pace" 

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There certainly is a wide range of training advice over there... I particularly like the "run 10-13 miles at 7:00 pace" 

Oh yeah that's a great one, just run HMP for 13.1 miles and you may be able to achieve the time you want 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Oh yeah that's a great one, just run HMP for 13.1 miles and you may be able to achieve the time you want 

Works as a race strategy, maybe not as a training plan though 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Works as a race strategy, maybe not as a training plan though 

Exactly! My training plan has "1x 26.2 at GMP" on race day. 

JMac - I've had a tab open for that thread in particular since it started - interesting reading. And I have the same thoughts as Rune regarding the 10-13 @ 7min/mi suggestion.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Okay, today is the day I decide to race on Sunday or not...my goal won't be what is on the front page of the thread due to the last month or niggles and illness but I'd use it to set up a PB attempt in 7 weeks.  Race plan would be to have fun and see what happens.  With my base I think I can set out at 1:35 pace and take it from there.  Last nights training run:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2896702312

So I guess if the forum tells me to I'll do it...I need to decide today so I either keep training as normal or mini-taper.

Forecast is 10 degrees (C) and rain.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - I'd just turn up and have fun.  Don't push it too hard for the first half (say 4:20/km) and then dial it up if you're feeling good (say 4:10/km).  There's a little bit of a pace/HR fade on those intervals you ran, but they're also a solid 8-10 secs/km than your HM goal pace so I wouldn't read too much into that.  Go out and enjoy it, and give it a bit of a nudge if you're feeling up to it!

Me - Last workout today, just a short 10 minute tempo.  The legs were kind of sluggish but I'm not too worried about that as I often get that during race week and then when the day rolls around it magically disappears.  The last 4 months have been close to marathon volume for me, but with a lot more quality than I did during my marathon prep last year, so I'm pretty excited for the races coming up over the next 5 weeks.

The winning time for this race has been between 1:12-1:17 over the past few years, and occasionally there have been some elites like Ben Ruthe and Andrius Ramonas so I'm hoping some of them show up to give me a bit of an extra kick / someone to chase otherwise it could be quite a lonely race as the field generally isn't that deep.  I think JMac is probably right re the weather, although last time I did this race was the one and only time I've ever gotten cold during a race - so hopefully the rain isn't too bad (and hopefully there's not much surface water around either).  Crucially, the winds look light, if there was a northerly coming off the lake, the second half of the race would be misery.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Okay, I'm in...I think I'll go even slower than that for the first half and then see how I feel.  I also want to be mindful that my post-race time is always danger time for injury but with 7 weeks until the next one I'd only want one quiet week.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mark 11c-4c Rain gradually setting in and light winds. Sounds alot better than 2016 ! Ben Ruthe is on my Strava. Hes on a little comeback after hitting the mid 30s with kids etc. Although I havent seen any Strava entries for a couple of weeks which may be a ploy to hide from his competition.

Jmac thats gotta be Bro. Trouble is he posts so infrequently I dont really have a handle on his training etc. I just look at his 17.30 5k PB and think hes gotta be an easy sub 1.30.

Steve Dont do it, dont do it  Im just messing with you. Have fun and good luck.

Im getting fatter by the day as I wait out this chest infection.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

runethechamp

You can always count on Piwi to bring some humor into the thread. The good thing about gaining weight is that it's a lot easier to get in better shape when you start running again. Losing that extra weight again will do that for you .

Steve - I would start at 1:35 pace, and then see what you feel like. Even better, if there is a 1:35 pace group, just latch on to them to make sure you don't start too fast.

Mark - Good luck in your race. You will be running about 20 hours before me I think. I'm happy it's just easy days for me now until the race, that 3T+2T+1T workout yesterday was pretty rough.

I wish I could run a 17:30 5k off my 1:35 HM time!

Getting back into it

Rune good luck for the race. The Letsrun thread mentions his PB at 16.58😀

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The thing is, his mile time lines up, and his splits he posted over at LRC are almost exactly the same as what he posted a few pages ago. 100% it’s Bro. He really could get some good advice over here, although I’d probably just recommend longer intervals like a bunch of people are mentioning over there.

Piwi the problem with illnesses and such is that sometimes not running feels soooooo good. Just being able to not even think about exercising for the day is refreshing. I understand why so many Americans are fat and don’t bother with it 

runethechamp

I didn’t run today and had a couple beers instead, and it felt really good. I call it taper.

Getting back into it

I didn’t run today and had a couple beers instead, and it felt really good. I call it taper.

Hmmmm this is me everyday . Actually I did 8kms on the beach today. My legs felt amazing and my chest was a little tight but overall I think Im on the back end of this thing.

Jmac Im actually a little shocked over the wad of fat Ive got round my gut right now. My diet must need tidying !

I also think that it is important to practice a mini taper every now and again. Mine involves cheesecake and chocolate.

The love handles are perfect to avoid glycogen depletion too!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!