Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

I need to research this further. Thanks for this! Too bad you guys aren't part of the 6 nations!

Well my nephew might be the England captain 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Hey all, a bit to catch up on here, but re shoes... I overpronate slightly but have had no issues mixing up neutral and stability shoes - my standard rotation includes a mix of both and I've had a lot of advice that says actually mixing it up is a good thing.

Piwi is dead right when he says the key is learning to figure out when your shoes are dead and recycle them accordingly.  Typically for me it's about the 600-700km mark as I can be a bit stompy but I had one pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 11's that were useless after 350km and others that were going strong at 800km.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Oi Flavio: the problem is that it doesn't keep the slow motion somehow. I have to figure this one out - not really tech savy. Nice finish at the race though Smile

JMac: I am currently doing 100% easy with some strides until I reach a nice base of around 35-40mpw on 6 days. So that will take another couple of weeks and I will keep the quality workouts very light. I don't think I will be running the 12k in 47min yet, but I will do my best and got your point regarding VDOT adjustment Wink

Piwi: Jamie George? I love the Saracens.

Mark: I had the same experience with the Mizuno's. I am impressed with Asics' durability. I might then go for a stability shoe (Brooks Glycerin) next.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

aaaaaa

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

MJ actually Dylan Hartley. I have one foot different to the other too. I do lunges for strength and its harder to balance on that side.

Flavio: https://youtu.be/MieMMcd_aNU

Can you check if this works? Should be in SloMo. And I have a picture of my right shoe sole that I can post. The video was taken after my run - so the poor posture is totally intentional Smile

Piwi: Hartley will play for sure. He was named team captain for the championship! Wow. If he is part of your family I am sure you are safe in any pub dispute in NZ & GB! Enjoy the tournament!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

aaaaaa

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

JamesD

JamesD

MJ - Thanks for the spreadsheet.  I was amused to see that the how-fast-will-you-run-at-different-weights section wouldn't give me a time for lower weights than my 128 lbs, just saying, "too thin."

I seem to be pretty much recovered from being sick, and my conditioning is slowly returning.  As I've increased my mileage back to a normal level, my thigh soreness has mostly disappeared and my chronic left knee issues have returned in a mild, not-particularly-troubling way.  Next steps are to lengthen gradually my Monday and maybe Thursday runs until the Monday run reaches 12 miles or so, and to start strides on Tuesdays or Fridays to get ready for tempo runs after a few weeks.  May also start swimming again.

Sun - off

Mon - 7.8 miles moderate

Tues - 6.2 easy, stopping every 3/4 mile for exercises

Weds - off

Thurs - 7.8 moderate

Fri - 6.2 easy, stopping every 3/4 mile for exercises

Sat - 6.2 moderate, avg. ~8:18/mile

Total - 34.2 miles

I think I'm going to use my Saturday runs - which I'm running these days the same distance and more or less the same effort each time - to give me an idea how to handle upcoming base-building weeks.  Last week I ran 31 miles and averaged 8:20/mile on Saturday; this week I ran 34 and averaged about 8:18 on Saturday.  That suggests that I should be ok going to 37 next week, which would be a new high for me.  If my Saturday run slows or feels harder, I'll either hold mileage or take a down week..

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

I took 5 days off from running.  Getting out of bed in the morning was getting bad with the PF and adjusting to the keto diet was doing all kinds of wonky things to my HR and energy levels.  I abandoned pured keto. Not for me!  Still going low carbs through the day and then carbing up before/after workouts.  My diets was super carb heavy before (tons of bread, starches, etc).  I'm just going to be more mindful of that.  I like that lack of dips in energy levels through the day but it is not worth it to see if my body might take to extreme low carb lifestyle.

Today I did my first workout run in a while.  I planned on 3x1mi cruise intervals at slightly slower than tempo pace.  I did this on a TM.  Going by JD VDOT from last race, my tempo pace should be about 4:15/km. I went at 4:23/km today.  The first mile was ok.  About halfway through the 2nd mile it started getting tough.  I figured it's just that I hadn't done much tempo work lately (have done VO2 work in the last couple months).  I glanced at my HR and "192!" I did a sort-of max HR test a while back and got up to 186 although I could've sworn I saw 190 before I get my HRM on a TM a while back.  I figured I should dial it back.  Took a 2 min jog break then went at around 4:30/km for a quarter mile and shut it down.  Jogged it out for almost a mile and my HR didn't get back down below 170 until I walked.  Playing around with my diet had an effect no doubt. But I wonder how much is fitness.  Otherwise, legs feel ok afterwards and I wasn't way out of breath or anything of the sort.  Long run tomorrow and hopefully my normal HR will be coming back to normal in the next couple weeks for proper tempo runs.

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
                    2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

James nice increase in miles.

Mick Im no expert but your foot strike looked fine to me. We are supposed to land on the outside and roll in, its our natural suspension. Hartley is my sisters middle son of 3 boys.

Just finished my week with a pack run with 8 others. They are all fast guys and it was my longest run for a few months although only 22kms.

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Jan 29, 2018 thru Sunday, Feb 04, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Mon 6.2 8.0 Morning Run Link
                      Wed 5.0 7:41 Morning Run strava
                      Thu 7.6 10:15 Morning Run strava
                      Sat 6.2 7:01 Morning Run strava
                      Sun 13.8 7:16 1st longrun for a while with the lads strava
                        38.8 7:59    

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

aaaaaa

JamesD

JamesD

Flavio - Sort of.  I did average 25 mpw for last year as a whole, but that was pulled down by some weeks when I was sick, on vacation, resting an injured knee, tapering/recovering, etc.  My normal training weeks last year were between 26 and 33 miles.  I got up to 36 easy two weeks in a row in December before going on vacation and felt fine, so I assume I should be able to stay in the high 30s for a while before I start some faster running.  Over the last few years I've been gradually building up - 12 mpw average in 2014, 13 in 2015, 16 in 2016, and 25 last year.  My knee issues haven't gotten worse despite the increased mileage, so I'm hoping I can keep gradually increasing (and gradually getting faster).

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

James - is there anything you can do about the knee issue from a functional/preventive perspective? Any muscle strengthening or stretching?

jaimegu

Hi, guys,

Flavio:  In general I keep it in the aerobic range but there are exceptions... sometimes my long runs are social, so pace and HR are low, other LRs have a purpose like some MP or hills, so the average increases... In numbers: 69-78% HRR.  Keep in mind my long runs are currently FM oriented.

Blair: Well, at least you gave it a try, and learned from it (and probably lost some weight in the process).

James: Nice job increasing the mileage

Piwi: Fast guys indeed!

Me:

Regular TM runs during the week, Very cold (-15C windchill -20C) unexpected long run on Saturday thanks to a friend, and it was on tired legs I ran  on Friday night). I was lucky as on Sunday it never stopped snowing... So apart from snow shoveling for 1.5 hours, I didn't go out.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Tue 8.9 7:09 Tempo (5k+2k)@4:05 total:14k strava
                              Wed 10.0 7:35 Easy Run with 10x1min@16kph strava
                              Thu 6.3 7:41 Easy 10k Run strava
                              Fri 7.3 7:53 12k easy Run strava
                              Sat 15.9 8:43 Impromptu long run with Dmitri strava
                                48.4 7:57    
                              runethechamp

Flavio - Nice mileage. Regarding %HRR on long "easy" runs, if I claim a resting HR of 38 and max of 192 I try to keep it under 70% of HRR, or about 145. It usually goes higher than that at the end though, so today it lasted about 14 miles. Overall for the run I think I came in below the mark though.

Piwi - That's a fast long training run. I'll be happy if I can keep that pace in my race next weekend 

Mick - I think your stride looks pretty good from that angle.

James - Good to hear you're back!

Blair - That's some crazy HR stuff right there. I'm with Flavio on the diet advice.

Jaime - Nice week. Regarding your weather, we've had the exact opposite here. It basically turned to summer in the Bay Area this week, and I lost 7 lbs of water running my long run in the heat today! Just hoping Saturday will bring cool temps in the morning.

Had a good week overall. Cut a couple of the easy runs a little bit short but stuck to the 19 on my long run today. Just made it back home before the Superbowl on TV.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
                                Tue 3.6 10:02 0:36 Evening Run 119 (62%) strava
                                Wed 11.0 7:56 1:27 E-M-T-M-E 149 (78%) strava
                                Thu 6.1 8:58 0:54 Easy Lunch Run 131 (68%) strava
                                Sat 4.3 9:44 0:41 Evening Run 125 (65%) strava
                                Sun 19.0 8:30 2:41 SuperBlack eyeowl) long run 143 (74%) strava
                                  44.0 8:40 6:21      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it