Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - Doing T (and I) workouts on the track is only for my upcoming race. The course for my goal marathon is far more flat than anything I can run on without driving for 20-25 minutes (except the track, of course). I'm just trying to get as used to the flats as I can ahead of the race. After this race the only thing I'll do on the track will be R work. Oh, and it's not "just" 6 miles on the track. With the exception of heading to/from my neighborhood (.75mi each way) all of my workout days are on the track, so I'm getting ~13-15 track miles on those days. 

I believe it was you a couple pages ago who said to me something to the effect of "it's amazing what a look back can do". I hear you on getting beat down by the weather conditions, though. Hopefully that 5:1 rest makes things a bit more manageable.

13+ on the track! Wow, I need to stop complaining about being mentally drained. You take the cake.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - have added your race.  Interestingly one of the local clubs here are running a 5 miler in September as a fundraiser.  I'm tempted to do it because it's likely the only 5 mile race in the country!

Watson - all the best for the race on Sunday.  Looks like the weather will be near-perfect for you.

Keen/JMac - I am actually OK with longer track sessions as long as there's intervals and pace variation.  Anything up to about 16-17km is OK.  It helps that the track I normally go to is actually in a pretty cool location, with trees along 3 sides and a high performance institute on the other.

Piwi - hope you're feeling better, haven't heard from you in a while!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark, throw my next race up on page 1 too...I figure all my interruptions have happened now so I can go hard at this one.  My only distraction is work at the moment with a fairly intense month ahead - big project to be delivered (to NZ Cricket!) by the week after the race so I hope that doesn't impact training too much.

Also, I think the Friday beer next week sounds good.  Are you at an airport hotel?  The only one currently is Sudima I think?  I think they have a bar, I could just head out that way about 5. Lone Star could work too.  It's (kind of) on my way home.

I only wear the one pair of shoes.  This discussion does have me thinking.  Maybe my legs will pull up better if I adopt the strategy some of you guys use.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - Was going to send a shout out, but Mark beat me to it. Hope things are okay!

Mark - 5 milers aren't even popular here in the US. We have a lot of 10 milers though, it's a very popular distance. Cherry Blossom and Broad Street are probably the two most popular ones.

Watson - I'll be on vacation this week in Florida so may not check in before your race, so best of luck! If the weather is good, go get that sub 1:25. We need it on this board.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - added your race.  I'm at the Commodore Hotel near the airport, which apparently has a bar.  Happy to meet you wherever you think is easiest/best though.

JMac - I'm even more persuaded to do that 5 miler for rarity value now!  It'll be a good tune-up with road relays happening two weeks later, most of the relay legs are a similar distance.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac/Mark cheers Im fine had a few low weeks 26kms 21kms 32kms 44kms. Im at 36kms this week. I havent been putting them on Strava. Motivation for racing is very low but for fitness is ok. You guys know how I operate with wild motivational swings 

Jmac I saw your comment on sub 3 about the London Marathon. I applied through the lottery which is about a 10% chance although I dont really want to get in as it will cost me a whole lot of money so with that attitude I probably will get in LOL ! I think I find out this month.

I read your tough training situation and its easy to see looking in that you are doing very well training through those conditions. Dont feel guilty if you have to drop back a workout to escape exhaustion.

Mark do Mizuno have any elite representation ? It seems Nike and Adidas have all the big bucks. I hate how all their athletes wear exactly the same colours at meets as it takes away from their individuality.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Cool.  Let's make a decision at the last minute...the bar at Commodore is fine but I imagine you might want to get away.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marco - You might also run a predictor workout 10 days before the race, hopefully in very similar conditions to the race.

Here are some: https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/the-best-10k-workout/

today I have done something close to it, but with no rest before. In fact in the last 7 days I ran over 56 miles (the 36 miles over the weekend... )  and on Wednesday intervals at 3'40/3'50.

But yesterday evening I met my old running buddies (use to run with them when I was 20) and reminded me that we used to run 6x1000 at 3'10 recovering 200 mt.... and the day after 10K at 4'

So this morning I really wanted to see if I can still run at 4' per K. I went out and ran 2X3K in 12'

I am happy about this considering I am tired. I will try to full test suggested in the website next week (10 is on the 2nd)

all the best

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - That's something else I forgot to mention: the mental aspect of running all those tiny little laps. My goal marathon is largely a couple out-and-backs on a river trail, so there won't be a ton of different scenery to look at.
                    Awesome T workout.

Piwi -You're back!

DD1's first day of 2nd grade was today. The house has been oddly quiet.

M pace during my LR tomorrow!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Quick update re the race... ran 34:44 so bang on my PB (albeit that's watch time and official results won't be up until tonight or tomorrow).  Frustratingly the course measured quite long (I had it 130m long, others up to 300m), there was a bit of a wind as well which made parts of the course harder work than others.  Felt really strong and in hindsight could've kicked up the pace earlier than I did - haven't run a 10km race in a while, and haven't run a flat 10km race in even longer, so still getting a feel for the distance I guess.  Qualified for the Auckland M35-50 team for NZ Champs in 2 weeks.  Pleased with everything except the time, really!

update: official 34:45, 2nd AG, 5th M35+, 10th overall. Gonna get that PB in 2 weeks.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - Nice race as usual. I can tell you on certified courses for 10Ks, they usually measure about 50-100 meters long for me. So that sounds pretty close, maybe off by 50 meters?

Me - Week is done. Gave up trying to run 3T at the end of my run today because this Florida sun is no joke and I was gassed after 12, but overall happy with the week. Mileage is really starting to pick up now as I’m getting into the middle stages of training. Going to keep it around 65 miles for next week.

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Aug 13, 2018 thru Sunday, Aug 19, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Mon 16.3 7:29 1E + 8M + 1E + 5M + 1E (M@6:50) strava
                        Tue 5.9 8:21 Afternoon Run strava
                        Wed 10.0 8:04 Forgot my watch for the first time ever strava
                        Thu 14.1 7:37 5E + 3T + 2T + 2T + 2E (T@6:17) strava
                        Sat 10.0 7:43 Running in a sauna strava
                        Sun 12.0 7:50 Morning Run strava
                          68.3 7:46

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - this osteo you have access to is a golden find! Very nice job at the race, 1% deviation is expected with GPS devices, I’m sure you will run a PB with the stronger competition at nationals.

Keen - considering how cheap Garmin devices are and that they probably have the lions share of the market, it makes sense that they went that way. I was impressed that they could undercut Stryd by that much. I read the full review at dcrainmaker (Garmin pod) and my feeling was that it has a lot of first generation symptions, I’m sure they will improve by leaps and bounds on the 2nd gen.

It seems a very nice concept that could become more mainstream in the next few years.

You are running awesome mileages man, I’m madly jealous of you. Make sure you thank the running gods

PS: This is a Vikings reference, I hope I’m not offending the more religious crowd.

Marco - you were one fast dude in the past, if you could run that fast, I don’t see why you can’t get within 10% of that if you’re on similar weight.

Jmac - great job sticking around with the warm weather, especially on the open sauna that is Florida.

Piwi - it’s crazy to think how out of the way New Zealand is, it’s only when you look at a round globe that you realize that. You guys live FAAAR.

me - this week I caught a bad cold that had me feeling pain in my ears for the very first time. I had to take 4 days off but managed to salvage the week with 14k today to keep the streak of over 30K weeks going. I put some nice pictures up on the Strava run for those following me, so you can see some of the good side of Brazil Smile

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio nice photos. We had a perfect windless day like that yesterday too. Yeah NZ feels like we  are away from alot of the worlds troubles. Ear ache sucks but you might still be able to run.

Mark nice job. I saw alot of my strava mates ran in the Waikato/Bop 10k at Cambridge yesterday. Thats where the Nationals are right ?

Jmac great job on hitting such mileage in those conditions.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mark Congrats on the race and making the team good luck on the PR attempt next go round. awesome splits.

Keen you are logging some high mileage keep it up!

Jmac nice week as well!

Flavio hope your ear gets better I'll have to check out the photos!

Rune nice work as well!

everyone else see up the good work!

For me another solid week just trying to keep at it day to day!

15 weeks away from my marathon following JD 2Q 41-55 mpw. (might not be able to following it to the letter but giving it a try.)

put in a couple of quality workout this past week and a long run this morning .

I continue to revise my schedule but think I have settled on Mon, Wed, Thurs, Sat, Sun with Tuesday and Friday as rest days.

Wednesday and Saturday will be for Q workouts and Sunday for a long easy run.

I'm sure I will have to make some adjustments as I go along but that is the plan anyway.

I may try and run a 1 mile race next Friday though, as there are not to many of them around that are timed and want to try an get below 6min.

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Aug 13, 2018 thru Sunday, Aug 19, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Mon 4.4 8:35 Evening Run strava
                              Tue 2.0 8:45 Evening Run strava
                              Wed 9.1 8:07 2wu+(5x3min. Int)+(6x1min rep)+1cd strava
                              Thu 4.4 8:42 Evening Run strava
                              Sat 13.1 8:11 6E+2T+2T+1T+1E strava
                              Sun 17.5 9:05 Morning Run strava
                                50.5 8:35    

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - sounds good. PM me your mobile number if you like - that way I can flick you a message if my flights delayed at all.

Piwi - yeah I think the Waikato/BOP regionals used the same course in Cambridge.  The Auckland course had a really niggly little S bend, plus a u-turn, whereas the NZ course looks like basically a nice loop with only one really tight turn. Might be a small undulation or two but not much more than a speed bump.  Someone posted on the NZ event facebook page that Pulford ran 30.47 yesterday and Sally Gibbs broke a MW age group record there so should be quick as long as the weather is OK.

Don't know of any of the big names using Mizuno, as you say mostly they are all just in matching pairs of Adidas or Nike.

JMac - yeah I would expect it to run a bit long, 50m sounds about right.  130m is probably outside the margin of error for a 10k though, and definitely 300m is!  There were no trees or buildings around the course to confuse the GPS either - was wide open space.  Nice week despite the summer heat.

Marco - nice workout

Flavio - ugg sore ears with colds are horrible.  I used to get that quite frequently and it was tough going.  Hope you are better soon.

Corey - nice week

Me - overall week was 64.8km.  I felt pretty strong in the 10km race but may taper just a little bit more for NZ champs, although in hindsight I also could've really floored it with 1km to go rather than 500m.  Wasn't going to do a full RR but overall I was very happy with how I paced the race apart from maybe leaving a bit in the tank.  I was with the main group for the first lap (the two lead guys were already well ahead by this stage), then it split in two and I was with the second group for most of the rest of the race (including Dan who is also from my club, Takapuna), ran down a couple of other guys on lap 3 before picking it up on the last lap and pulling ahead of the group I'd been with from around 8.5km.  Dan yelled at me from behind with about 100m to go that another guy was trying to run me down, which I appreciated because I turned on the afterburners for a sprint finish and held him off.  The sprint actually was the telling thing that I could've upped the pace earlier - firstly the fact I could do it, and secondly that I could easily have held it for longer.

Interestingly the first half of each lap was typically ~5 seconds slower than the second due to wind and the S-bend in the course.  Splits were 3:27, 3:20, 3:24, 3:27, 3:29, 3:30, 3:31, 3:26, 3:29, 3:21, and the last 130m was at 2:44 pace.  I thought the 5 lap thing would be a bit boring but with the quality of the field and lots of other runners around it wasn't an issue.  It also meant that by around lap 3 you had a really good feel for the course and how it worked to your strengths and weaknesses and could be more tactical on the last few laps.

Definitely targeting that PB at National Champs in 2 weeks!

M: weights

T: 14.3km incl. short 10km pace efforts

W: 14.7km easy

T: 14.0km with a few sprints

F: weights

S: 7.4km w/ 3x 2min efforts

S: 14.3km incl. 10km race (34:45)

Total: 64.8km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"