Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Bro - If you go back to page 109 of this thread, you'll see that I predicted that that thread was you! Anyway we had a bunch of advice for you after I made the prediction so feel free to go back and read through that. Anyway, if you can do 22 at 7:44 pace on normal training legs (i.e. you didn't taper for that run), you should easily be able to BQ. The best long runs I ever put up, even in perfect weather, average at least 45 seconds slower than my MP.

Nice detective work! I tend to seek advice anywhere I can get it. 

If you are wondering about the 16:58...yes I have ran that for a "5K" that measured 3.03 on my Garmin.  Other people got 3.00, 3.06 and even 3.08 on their watches that day.  It was an non-certified course which I did mention in that thread.   I have also ran 16:24 on a short course....the biker took a wrong turn and took us down a street that was a shorter cut to the finish.   17:32 is my fastest USATF certified 5K.

Also, my mile time is off on my signature.  I ran a 4:53 indoors, spring-2012, but I did not start using RA until 2013-ish.  I should update it.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Bro - Thanks!
      I actually still have that thread in an open tab. How did that last workout you mention go? Personally, my thought is that you're running your easy miles too fast and short-changing your aerobic development.
      If you hold 7:35/mi for 23.1 miles you'll have to hit the last 5k at ~6:23/mi. Seems like a tall order to me.
      Is 3:15 your BQ standard? If you want to actually get in to that race you'll almost certainly have to run 3+ minutes below that time in order to do so because of how the race fills up.

Tough tempo run this morning (4E, 3T, 2T). The first T mile of each segment seemed the hardest. I think the cooler weather I've had all week spoiled me somewhat, and today's conditions (by no means the worst I've done a workout in) hit me harder than they should have. No worries, Flavio, I didn't even think about tacking another T mile on to the end! I got a mile or so into my cool-down and started struggling - side stitch and all. Strange, as this hadn't happened before during any of my extended cool-downs.

I also had a very un-athletic moment when I got to the track this morning. I tripped over a small lip in the curb and started to pitch forward. Things seemed to happen really slowly for a bit and I was able to contemplate the possible downsides of catching myself with my hands and decided to try tucking my shoulder and rolling with it - ultra runner style! It worked out surprisingly well (having never done that before), and I only ended up with a a few little scratches on the back of my left shoulder.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Bro - Thanks!
        I actually still have that thread in an open tab. How did that last workout you mention go? Personally, my thought is that you're running your easy miles too fast and short-changing your aerobic development.
        If you hold 7:35/mi for 23.1 miles you'll have to hit the last 5k at ~6:23/mi. Seems like a tall order to me.
        Is 3:15 your BQ standard? If you want to actually get in to that race you'll almost certainly have to run 3+ minutes below that time in order to do so because of how the race fills up. 

Hey - I actually leave my watch at home run by feel a lot since I already know the route's distance.  So, many of miles are around 8:24-8:45 pace and take place at 4 or 5am.  I bring my watch only when I decide to run in random places or for workouts. 

The last workout mentioned went like this:

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/5519129933d948eaa2d5297954c5fca3/workouts/cef74f33ff194ee2a34c5b76bf71a7f7

I'm still considering sticking with my strategy of running 7:35's the whole marathon.  I majorly bombed my first marathon and ran 4:06 because I was very unprepared, new to running, and went out too fast.  I'm thinking more about finishing it and getting that monkey off my back and not hitting the wall.  My biggest worry is rolling a couple fast miles around mile 18-20 and paying for it dearly in the last two, so it's just a matter of staying consistent.   Maybe the next marathon I'll aim for a faster pace, as this one is a learning experience. 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Bro - Looks like a tough LR/workout, especially with 2T towards the very end. I like your idea of sticking with a sustainable pace for the whole marathon, then chasing a time once you get a good one under your belt.

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Bro - I have to agree with Keen here that you are just running your easy stuff too fast. There are so many studies out there that show that running anything between MP and MP+120 gives you almost exactly the same aerobic benefit, so there's no point in running so fast as it only hampers you for workouts. You mentioned that you run by feel, which is great! Except when it causes you to run as fast as you do. I can say that I've always run by feel, but I realized that what I felt was easy actually never was truly easy pace. I used to run 7:45 for my easy runs when my HMP was 7:15. I still run 7:45 now even though my HMP is 6:10.

CK - This track has been your nemesis, from falls to the new fencing. Maybe it's time to hit the roads more 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Watson nice Race sucks getting a late start and having to play catch up of rate start.

Keen nice week last week

this week for me is on track with Training.

I did register for that 1 mile race tonight, going to try and get below 6....we will see how that turns out.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Perhaps it has been a bit of a nemesis, but I'm banking a lot on gains from it! And besides, I found a less used/less obvious way of getting there that has a gate that stays open. And I can always do those extended cool-downs on the roads.

Cfarr - Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the results from that race.

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Bro - it's good to have you back. You seem primed to achieve BQ. What has been your weekly mileage for the past 12 weeks?

Keen - good job being conservative and smart. You are running great mileage which will pay great dividends down the line.

Jmac - I challenge you to post a picture of a squirrel. They're cute and this is one of the hardest English words to pronounce.

Piwi - what up surf man

Mark -ready to scratch that PR

Watson - stairs in a half, that's horrible. You've been doing se good training, how's the body feeling? Maybe a redemption race?

Corey - you're posting some great weeks as well, good job

Me - got rid of the cold, all is good, on pace for 56k this week. I have enlisted myself as Pacer for my girlfriend on September 9th as she tries to break 2 hours in the half. Tough but doable. She just ran 14k in 5:36 pace, that's 9 miles in 9 minute pace roughly.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Jmac great job on your Daniels thingy workout on Strava today. Dew point acceptable 

Keen you are nailing proper marathon mileage doing a very dedicated job which is required, The first time I used the proper athletics track I was almost embarrassed as I considered it was for good athletes. It was nice to know any Joe Bloggs could use it.

Flavio wow thats some responsibility pacing your girlfriend to sub 2. You could get yourself major brownie points if you pull it of or be deep in the dog box if you dont 

Bro ah so it was you. Yeah I guess slow down. I used to run 8-9 min pace on general runs while marathon training and ran 2 marathons in my mid 40s never slower than 3 hours  I love showing off this point as you can tell !

Im still running but not putting on Strava. Mileage is low about 40kms/week. Tweaked my achilles on a trailish hilly run this week by rolling my ankle briefly. My bow legs dont help as already close to rolling my ankle every time I land so a small hole or bump can send it over. Mainly hurts on downhills now. Anyway have had this many times before and it will be sorish for a few months but I can still run.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - Why have you stopped posting to Strava? I love following your runs! I also love your bragging now. I remember that when I was more of a lurker in 2016 over on RWOL, your times intimidated me, plus your picture of you lying on the street after what looked like a race said "this guy is intense." Now I just know you are the Sub 1:30 Court Jester (not to be confused with the sport jester)

Flavio - It's funny you say that. The amount of tourists that take pictures of squirrels is amazing, yet to us, they're so common you might as well be taking a picture of a rat. I have my phone on me more frequently on runs since I run commute at least once a week now, so I will try taking more pictures. Also, good luck in pacing the half. I do a terrible job at pacing anything that's much slower than my easy pace.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Thanks! Glad to hear you're clear of the cold. Good luck to your GF - from what you posted sub-2 certainly seems to be within reach.

Piwi - Thanks as well! I'm doing all I can to run a race that'll get me in to Botswana 2020 (super-jealous of your marathon times!).
                        I had no such thoughts the first time I used the track - just because I was too clueless about it all to even consider something like that.
                        I'm glad you're still running and hope that ankle heals up soon.

Upcoming Races:

Bros Welcome back

Piwi sorry about your ankle hope you get over it soon

Flavio glad you are over your cold, good luck to your Girlfriend.

A quick update on my 1 mile race. Anderson Midnight Flight >Goal going in was to run sub 6 min

They have a 1 mile, 5k ,and 10k race, most people come out to run either the 5k or 10k or both since they stagger the start times, some even run all 3 races.  For the 1 mile surprisingly there were about 300 people in it this year.

I got off work about 5pm and made the hour + drive to get to the race and went straight to pick up my race # and relaxed a bit as I had about an hour prior to the start. About 30 minutes to the start I went for a couple short runs to get warmed up and made my way up to the starting line.

Seemed like it took forever to get started and was getting more anxious by the minute.  I started talking to a high school kid for a minute then saw a guy I recognized from the last half I ran (he ran a 1:27 in that half) I said hey to him, and then we were moved up to the starting line.

Before I knew it the gun went off and we were on our way.  A group took off right out of the gate along with the guy I recognized from the half, so I figured I better keep contact with them so I picked it up and settled in at the back of a group of about 10.  As we a approached the 1/2 mile mark I had worked my way in to 6th place, but the leaders had pulled 30 -40 meters ahead at this point. Over the next qtr mile I closed in on the guy in 5th place and came up to his shoulder with about 50-60 meters to go but he pulled away down the final stretch beating me by 2 seconds.

I ended up in 6th place overall with a time of 5:43.4 very happy with my time, as my prior old guy PR was 6:01 so a big improvement and confidence booster as I continue my marathon training.

Next up for me is an October HM then my December marathon.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Well done cfarr, that's a great time and placing

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Great work cfarr!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Bro - it's good to have you back. You seem primed to achieve BQ. What has been your weekly mileage for the past 12 weeks?

Hey, thanks.  I should post here more often.  Sorry, I have this thread bookmarked but I've been swamped misc. crap for the last month.

My mileage for the past 12 weeks has been (from recent), 61, 60, 61, 54, 36, 44, 55, 71, 53, 40, 64, 31.

Kind of spotty due to two non-running related injuries, a move, being sick, work travel, etc.  A lot of people think I can get a BQ but I need see bigger improvements in my longer threshold runs to think this is possible.  My recent half-marathon pace of 7:15(?) doesn't lead me to a lot of confidence.  If I was closer to 7-flat I would plan for 7:20's for the full.