Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

A group took off right out of the gate along with the guy I recognized from the half, so I figured I better keep contact with them so I picked it up and settled in at the back of a group of about 10.  As we a approached the 1/2 mile mark I had worked my way in to 6th place, but the leaders had pulled 30 -40 meters ahead at this point. Over the next qtr mile I closed in on the guy in 5th place and came up to his shoulder with about 50-60 meters to go but he pulled away down the final stretch beating me by 2 seconds.

I ended up in 6th place overall with a time of 5:43.4 very happy with my time, as my prior old guy PR was 6:01 so a big improvement and confidence booster as I continue my marathon training.

Nice work.  How did you feel in your last 600m?  You should be hurting badly in that final 1:30-1:40.  Smile

Marky_Mark_17

Corey - nice race and always good to see the speed improving!

Me - put some work in this week, if it helps me find another few seconds next Sunday it's definitely worth it.  Good to catch up with Steve for a beer in Christchurch on Fri night and then had my longest run since May on Sat morning.  Always enjoy running down there, there's no pesky hills and Hagley Park in particular is great for running.  Legs were pretty tired for this morning's workout but will likely take a pretty easy week heading into Sunday's race.

M: weights

T: 13.2km easy

W: 14.5km incl. 6x 2 min hard / 3 min easy

T: 13.5km incl. hills

F: weights

S: 28.6km long run

S: 13.7km incl 5x 5 min moderate / 1.5 min jog

Total: 83.6km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - I know I commented on this on Strava, but I’m still shocked you put in so many miles just 8 days before a 10K. Of course, this is not a criticism (can’t criticize a guy that runs as fast as you do), but most of what I’ve read says that you should limit long runs to 90 minutes or less the week before a key race, which I assume this race is for you. I feel like that kind of long run can only hurt you. Throwing this out there more for discussion on the thread than anything. If you think about a marathon, most of the long runs are around 2.5 hours. The idea is that you run 2.5 hours 3 weeks in advance, 2 hours 2 weeks in advance, and 90 minutes a week in advance. I’ve tried to follow that same idea for half’s and less. I cap my long runs at 2 hours for anything shorter than a marathon, but I go for 90 minutes the week before.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - I guess we will find out. My coach tends to err on the conservative side and most of what I’ve read seems to suggest a 7-10 day taper is fine. I actually just checked the archives and I ran a very fast (3:56/km) 22km run 7 days before my current 10km PB. Marathon training is a lot more complex in my opinion whereas for a 10k or even half I feel like a week taper is generally plenty.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

HI all!

first a big well done to all of the races you reported here this week! thanks for the reports, and for the comments. I am learning a lot here Smile

One of the comment I received when I first joined this forum was about running consistently 40 miles a week to see where I could get in terms of HM. So the overall objective for this summer was exactly that one. Get at least 40 miles a week, for most of the weeks in the summer, preparing for the HM in Belfast (end of September). And so I did (I missed a couple of weeks with about 30 miles).

This week I decided to keep it in the low 40 (did 41) as I have a 10 K race next week and I would like to get a good feeling of where my PR is on the 10 K. I would love to get 40 min, but I am not sure if I am already there.

Interesting training this week were: 2X3K at 4' per K on Tuesday to check the pace (I think I have it not sure I can mentally and physically sustain it) and a fast training on Thursday (800mt, 700mt, 600mt, 500mt, 400mt, 300mt, 200mt), from which I have not entirely recovered yet... There was a young (19 years old) running with me who could run pretty fairly fast, so I got my first rep (800) in 2'40. The objective was to keep the pace of the 800 throughout, and I managed it fairly well, with 2:23, 2:00, 1:40, 1:37, 1:17, 57'' and the fastest 200 since I started again running in 33''.

In general, I am happy with what I have done to prep for the 10K. Now I need to get this week right. It is the first time I taper for a 10k. Today I only ran 10 Miles, listening to Jmac (I felt it was a good suggestion, also considering my Thursday training still hurts).

what would you do this week? I normally have intervals on Tuesday; should I keep something faster? should I run at 10 K aim pace (4' per K)? Do I then train easy with a few 100 meters strides?

considering my 40 miles per week, should I run 25-30 miles this week until the 10 K on Sunday?

My real goal will be the 1:30 HM in 3 weeks time, but I would really like to run a good 10 K as well.

thanks in advance for your advice

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - you must have rubbery ankles for recovering so fast.

jmac - heh yeah I caught myself taking pictures of squirrels in central park a couple of years ago, it was only after I realized there were dozens of them that I stopped.

I think Mark will be fine. He’s a real life Wolverine in regenerative abilities.

Corey - awesome result, the mile/1500 is nice because you only really hurt the last 2 laps.

Bro - your mileage and that 22 mile run was very encouraging, though off course you can never know how it’s going to play out in the day of the race.

Marco - I’d keep something fast but lower volume, something like 3x1000 fast 1000 slow or the like.

me - 52km for the week in nearly 5 hours of running and a 18km long run.

The girlfriend just completed 18km in 5:38 pace roughly (watches were disagreeing on distance), she could run sub 2h for the half today easily.

I kept throwing random questions from time to time just gauge her breathing pattern and she was fine.

Weather was perfect with 6C, humidity at a rare 64% and not much wind except on the lake side.

I reckon she could run 1h54 on race day.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - sounds like perfect conditions!

Me - week is done. Slowly starting to feel like I’m getting into marathon shape, but it may just be because the weather has been nicer here lately so I haven’t felt like death. Interval workout on Thursday was a big success, although running 400 meter repeats at 1:15 right after 5x1200 was not exactly enjoyable. Long run today was also good, wasn’t as tired afterwards as I usually am. I’m off to Europe this week, so will not be running as many miles but I had already planned on this being a down week. After this, up to 70 MPW, which I will most likely hold at until tapering. If it wasn’t for that crazy-man Keen, I’d feel great about how many miles I’m running this cycle.

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Aug 20, 2018 thru Sunday, Aug 26, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                Tue 9.9 8:03 Evening Run strava
                Wed 7.9 8:02 Evening Run strava
                Thu 15.8 7:39 7E + 5x1200I + 4x400R + 1E strava
                Sat 10.0 7:43 Morning Run strava
                Sun 19.9 7:48 Morning Run strava
                  63.5 7:49

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Marco, I'd keep some speed in there but lower volume than usual.

Had a good week overall although the intervals last Monday were hard on my legs - my achilles/calf was bad enough for me not to risk it on Wednesday which was a good decision but it does have me wondering if intervals are just too risky right now.  Perhaps I do all my speed work at tempo pace, will I lose much from doing that?

Had a drink with Mark on Friday which was great - Christchurch turned on perfect weather for his long run.

Monday          70 mins incl. 3x(1,2,3) intervals.  15.91km @ 4:39, interval pace 3:50-3:55

Tuesday         Weights

Wednesday    60 mins stationary bike

Thursday        70 mins easy (14.47km @ 5:01min/km)

Friday             Weights

Saturday         90 mins incl. 5km tempo.  19.28km @ 4:37min/km, 5km tempo 20:32

Sunday           Weights

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mark Nice week Good luck on your RACE!

JMac Nice week..I know Keen is putting up some big weeks

Flavio, Marco Nice weeks to you as well.

Very happy with my week of Training...I set a new MPW total,  set a new PR in my 1 mile race and had two pretty good workouts.

although I have noticed my inner thighs have been unusually sore I believe due to the increase in T, I, R paces.

hopefully I'll get used to this soon, just trying not to over do it, so I did cut back on my workout Wednesday from 3x2T to 2x2T as I was starting to get really sore during the second set.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                    Day Miles Pace Description Link
                    Mon 6.5 8:48 Evening Run strava
                    Wed 9.0 7:58 3E+2x2T+2E strava
                    Thu 4.4 8:33 Evening Run strava
                    Fri 0.7 8:03 Evening Run strava
                    Fri 0.7 13:41 Evening Run strava
                    Fri 1.0 5:39 Anderson Midnight Flight 1 mile Race strava
                    Sat 12.1 8:55 Afternoon Run strava
                    Sun 23.0 8:14 12E+1T+6M+2E+1M+1E strava
                      57.4 8:28    

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

JMac/Flavio haha re squirrels, I remember being in Boston 10 years ago (my brother was studying there) and being totally fascinated by the squirrels.  He'd only been there 4-5 months and he thought I was a bit crazy.

JMac, Steve, Flavio, Corey - nice weeks

Steve - yeah it was pretty much perfect running conditions Sat AM in your town - glad I brought my gloves though! Looks like you got a good tempo workout in on Sat too.  I personally think it's good to have a little bit at faster than tempo pace because that's what helps your leg speed, but it only needs to be short intervals.

Marco - I'd drop volume down to 25-30 miles pre-race.  You want to keep some intensity in there, though.  Something like Flavio suggested (3x1km fast 1km jog) as an interval workout is good, and then maybe a short tempo workout or some strides on one of the other days.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Steve  nice week by you as well

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Mark/Jmac at Marks level of fitness i think his pre pre race week was fine. His weekly mileage isnt huge anyway and 10ks are pretty easy to taper/recover for and from.

Jmac great job on those intervals. You are starting to reap the hot weather training benefits. Thank god for high dew points 

Flavio I think I have the opposite of rubbery ankles like you Im stiff as a board all over. Your girlfriend may have underestimated her fitness and sub 2 looks promising.

Marco i checked your profile and you are one brainy dude who used to be fast. That fast dude is still inside your body 

Cfarr great effort on the mile. Ive never raced one but I imagine its balls to the wall from the start. I know by feel the difference between marathon, half marathon, 10k and 5k pace but below that it all becomes sprinting to me. I guess lots of short intervals would help in that department.

I ran 48kms last week nothing like you proper runners but did have alot of energy for other stuff.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

That got me interested Piwi whats the other stuff that you dedicated a lot of energy to????

Does it have to do with dew point at night by any chance? Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CFarr - Great race and placing, especially in a high-mileage week with a couple other quality days.

Bro - Life does sometimes get in the way of important stuff like running, huh? With your speed there's no doubt in my m ind that you should be able to BQ, but that doesn't mean you have to get it done this year. Getting a solid marathon experience under your belt and working on improving endurance will go a long way toward getting that. No need to rush the process.

Mark - Good week. I, of course, am also anxiously awaiting your next race.

Marco - Glad you're learning a lot (that's what we're all here for!), and looking forward to your race as well. I agree with what has already been said about workouts pre-race, so I can't really add anything else.

JMac - Nice week, and killer 400s after the 1200s, too. I have to try running crazy mileage, as without it I can't even get close to the times you and Mark are running. And it remains to be seen if I'll be able to get close even with the crazy mileage...

Piwi - I'm also interested in this "other stuff" you speak of. Of course if/when I find out what it is I may regret my interest.

New weekly mileage PR for me, by ~4 miles. I had to move my LR to Sunday to help accommodate some family stuff, which also means that I will almost certainly end up with a new weekly (rolling 7 day) mileage PR by this Saturday as well, since I'll have 7 days of running in a row. Hotter (75-80F 23.8/26.6C) low temps have returned, but for the last couple days the Kiwi point and humidity have been a bit lower than usual, so those temps haven't seemed as bad as usual.

DD1 isn't going to have her first soccer game this Saturday like I thought, so I'm now quite strongly considering running a 5k this weekend on what's one of the fastest courses in the state. Stimulus-wise it would be a suitable replacement for my first I session of this training cycle and should be good to get an idea of where my fitness is. My one hesitation is that short, fast races kinda scare me, especially since I'm pretty unsure of what I could run now. I should probably just put on my big-boy running shorts and pink racing shoes and go for it.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                              Mon 17.3 7:44 Daniels' 2M + 12x 200m R + 2M 138 (70%) strava
                              Mon 3.1 8:55 Easy 5k in Innsbruck 126 (64%) strava
                              Tue 10.3 8:41 Easy strollerin' with DD3. 126 (64%) strava
                              Wed 12.1 8:25 3 owls, 1 coyote, and 1 rabbit 138 (70%) strava
                              Thu 15.1 7:53 Daniels 4E, 3T, 2T 149 (76%) strava
                              Fri 7.3 8:26 Zero wildlife. Is that how this day is going to be? 135 (69%) strava
                              Fri 3.1 8:37 This workout room could seriously benefit from some fans. 126 (64%) strava
                              Sun 18.0 8:12 NHP to Hefner lollipop with my buddies Heat and Humidity. These guys are wearing out their welcome. 139 (71%) strava
                                86.3 8:12      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

​7E + 5x1200I + 4x400R + 1E

This is looks insanely difficult...awesome that you stuck with it.  What were you hitting on the 400's?  Recovery?  I know that I used to do some of the Daniel's 800m plan workouts and they would often combine some long intervals with shorter stuff.

Something like:  4x200 F, 3x400 R, 3x1000 I, 3x400 R, 4x200 F

The recoveries were long for the R's and F's which made it tolerable for awhile but I remember really dragging on the final 400's.  

61 miles for me this week.  In addition to the the 22 miler at 7:44 pace, I also did 13 on Sunday with a couple miles at 6:30-ish pace, with a near 5 minutes at 6:25 pace at the end...all in my heavy trainers.   

Also, JMAC - Heading to NYC this week for vacation with the wife and we are staying on the south end of Central Park....which means lots of 10 minute paced 3 mile runs with my wife.  We don't get to run together as often as we like so this will be a good time for us to relax and get a few miles in together.