Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Rune - welcome back. Glad you listened to my cajoling on Strava  I love running M pace runs in a half marathon. I plan to do 11 at MP next weekend in a half and then 13 at MP in a few weeks. Great way to have access to fuel stations and simulate the race day feel. I see though that you're also tackling longer MP runs than Daniels recommends. He never goes above 12 at MP in my 55-70 plan, but I feel like just doing 13.1 at MP never hurt anyone. Last year I actually did 12 @ MP and sped up to T pace for my final mile because I felt so good.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Thanks for dragging me out again JMac! I don't have the book in front of me now but in the 40-55 mile program there is a 14 miles at MP in the Q1 workout in week 13. Maybe he somehow made a typo in the plan for that week. Either way, I will do the half at m-pace and see how it goes. Last night I also started questioning whether I should race next weekend or not. With my sore hamstring or whatever it is I'm not sure how smart it is to go all out on a HM these days.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - Welcome back! Glad things are feeling better, despite the hamstring soreness. What's the HM you're doing? I haven't tried a HM as an MP workout, but that sounds like a pretty good training scenario.

This week is sucking for me. Sickness over last weekend and a bit of life getting in the way have lead to a whopping 2x runs so far this week, including a T run on the treadmill after work yesterday. Given my lack of running I did add in one extra T mile to that run, and I may just see how many "extra" easy miles I add on to my LR with 10M tomorrow. I figure that it won't be a strain given my low mileage this week, and can always just go with my otherwise usual 15-16 miles.

I'm somewhat having to plan this run around DD1's first soccer (err, football) game of the season in the morning, so I'm skipping the group LR in favor of a couple solo loops around a nearby lake so I can get to running early enough to help get to the game. This will give me a golden opportunity to steal a Strava CR, since the pace for it is ~10 sec/mile slower than what I'm supposed to run and it's "just" ~8 miles. That would actually get me the record for loops around the lake in both directions. Unfortunately, the guy who I'm looking to bump off the top is a former college runner who is still quite active in the area, so it'll be an easy matter for him to put the CR out of my reach again if he's so inclined. I do love virtual competition!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - welcome back!!

Keen - I'd just go for it on the segment.  I got a notification the other day that I'd lost a CR from our trip to Noosa in Oct 2016.  I couldn't believe I actually held it for that long as that place is triathlete central!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good luck in Dunedin tomorrow Mark.

I've definitely decided I won't be doing the Cherry Blossom Half in 2 weeks - I ran on Monday for 45 mins and had sharp pain in the same spot on the calf from early on.  Wednesday and Thursday I stuck to the stationary bike and everything feels normal again now, so I'm going to run today but I guess I'll only know after 60 mins or so if it's all healed.  It will definitely be a take it as it comes run, with no target time or distance.

Mark, assuming I don't damage the calf again I think it's safe to replace my next race with the Selwyn Running Festival Half-Marathon on November 4.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - done.  Your patience with those niggles is admirable!  Do you do much foam rolling or stretching?  I know opinions on this differ, but back in my hockey days I was incredibly lazy with stretching etc. and always used to have niggles and achilles problems.  Once I started running and was foam rolling and stretching regularly I seem to (touch wood) have had a lot fewer problems.

Me - weather is beautiful down here in Dunedin, with sun and a light NE breeze.  Forecast for tomorrow is similar, should be ~8C / mid-high 40's F, with only very light breezes for the race, plus clear skies again.  Staying in an Airbnb and can see the stadium where the start/finish is around 1.5km away.  I don't really have a set time goal for the course.  With all the turns it won't be super-quick, it doesn't look like a PB course to me, but I shouldn't be too far off.  I'm more focused on running a good race, keeping the pace consistent through the early/middle stages and then really pushing it hard over the last few km.  Another Takapuna club mate, Stephen Lett, is running too, he is probably 1-2 minutes quicker than me though.  With a good field of competitive runners I think my plan will be to try and find a group going around 3:35/km and stick with them and maybe give it a nudge over the last 2-3km.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I do foam roll and stretch but probably not enough.

I stayed at an air bnb about 1.5km from the stadium in June for the rugby...you're not up on Pine Hill are you?

Sounds like you've got pretty good weather.  It's spring but it's also Dunedin...I remember playing cricket in Dunedin in the last weekend of November and having hail/sleet bouncing off my helmet and snow on the surrounding hills

2024 Races:

Rune: crazy Vo2max according to your Garmin. Even if its overstated, I prefer that over my Suunto that always tells me how crappy I am (probably true though). Why is that lazy bugger from Brazil not running along, making the race his long run? Flavio, whats your excuse man?

Mark: low temps make for high tempos. Kill it! Looking forward to your Strava entry. If Garmin foresees a 1:10 race then just believe in it Smile

Steve: good luck with your recovery!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - yeah that was the risk weather-wise, Dunedin could have been totally miserable as well in spring but looks like I've got lucky.  Staying on Elder St just up from George St, but can see Pine Hill from here!  The course actually ducks around both sides of Pine Hill without going up it (fortunately).

MJ - Garmin's race predictor is based on its VO2Max estimator, which is not particularly accurate (it doesn't adjust for hills/terrain or weather).  So mine tends to spike in winter particularly after track workouts (or in this case, races where the HR was reading inexplicably low).  With the right training and course I've definitely got improvement in that HM PB... but maybe a minute or so - not six!!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Since my Garmin does both VO2max and lactate threshold, I wish there would be some communication between those two and the race predictor. Right now it thinks I can do a 1:18 half and a 2:43 full marathon. It also thinks my lactate threshold is at 6:35 per mile (which is probably too fast for me even), which is slower than both the predicted half and full marathon paces   .

Good of luck in your race Mark!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - Great race. As I said on Strava, a lot to be learned here given how well it went. I’ll say it again, I feel like there’s one more barrier you have to hit which is a sub 2:45 marathon.

Me - Week is done. Had two very good quality workouts, hitting a good T pace in very warm/humid conditions, and getting a peak at my fitness on Saturday when temps finally dropped and I ran in not ideal, but very good conditions compared to what I’ve been running in all summer (70 temp, 52 dew point). This mileage is a high for me and I plan on holding it out until the race. Need to get some longer marathon pace work in to feel confident with the pace, but right now, happy with where things are. Going to do 11 at marathon pace this Sunday within a half marathon.

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Sep 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Sep 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Day Miles Pace Description Link
                        Mon 10.0 7:35 Back in the saddle strava
                        Tue 9.9 7:55 Evening Run strava
                        Wed 15.3 7:28 5E + 4x2T + 2E (T@6:13) strava
                        Thu 6.0 8:22 Evening Run strava
                        Fri 10.1 7:49 Morning Run strava
                        Sat 17.0 7:20 8E + 8M (@6:35) +1E strava
                          68.3 7:38

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Race Report - Dunedin Half Marathon / NZ Half Marathon Champs, 9 Sep 2018

I realised just before I left home that the only two times I've flown to races they have been total dumpster fires.  Hope that's not the case this time!  I'm normally lucky to have the wife and daughter supporting but given the 2 hour flight, this one was a solo mission.

Forsyth Barr Stadium is about a 1.5km walk from the Airbnb I'm staying in.  After a reasonable 7.5 hours sleep (pretty good pre-race by my standards!!), I have some breakfast, get packed and walk down to the race.  Dunedin is a student town so on the way down there are the usual student sights, like a couple of guys in t-shirts, shorts and jandals despite the 7 degree temps.  The weather is damn near perfect with clear skies and cool temperatures, although the wind seems to have gotten up just a touch.

I drop my bag and do short 1km warm-up jog.  Hooray, I remembered my gels this time as well as some cheap gloves that I'll ditch when my hands get warm.  It's kind of nice not knowing anyone because I can just do my own thing.  The stadium is a great start/finish venue, it has a fully closed roof and finishing in there will be pretty cool.  After checking my laces for the nth time - and the ankle bracelet they use for timing - it's time to line up at the start.  There seems to reasonable field of elite runners in club singlets, although not as many as I would have expected given the event doubles as NZ Half Marathon champs.  I have a chat to Steven Lett, one of my club mates, who is aiming for 1:16.  I say I will try and hang with him and he says you never know, just back yourself.  He is a very experienced runner and former winner of the Auckland Marathon (under 2:30 I think), and a pretty genuine guy so it's food for thought.  I don't have the nerves I often have and am just feeling relaxed and looking forward to a good run.

The start goes and we're off.  The first section around Logan Park is on closed tree-lined roads and very nice.  I ditch my gloves about 1km in as my hands are warm and I don't need them.  I hope it looked as hardcore as it felt haha.  There is already a decent lead group of probably 8-9 guys including Sam Wreford who should be a comfortable winner - possibly the fastest distance runner in the country not named Robertson.  One guy stops to fix his shoe lace and then sprints to catch up, that must've sucked.  The pace feels comfortable and the first km is a touch quick, but not crazy quick at 3:28.  Steve is just on my shoulder along with a couple of other guys in what is basically the second group.

The first section sees us trekking south through the maritime sector, a bit of an industrial wasteland.  There are a few exposed spots where it feels like the wind has picked up a little.  Steve has dropped off slightly but I am running with another guy (from Louisiana, but studying in Dunedin I assume) who tells me he placed third last year, despite a course error.  Hope that marshalling is up to the task as this is a very technical course, too technical even to bother trying to write directions on my hand as a backup.  The pace was really nice and steady through up to the 6km mark (3:37, 3:37, 3:32, 3:33, 3:36) and pretty much exactly where I want it to be.  Louisiana guy tells me his family have flown over and he's nervous about blowing up so he dials it back a bit.  Steve had already dropped back too so once again I'm Nigel No-mates.  Ah well, run plenty of races like that so no big deal.

Then we hit an uphill spiral on to an over bridge which I've figured will be one of the most annoying bits on the course.  It's short, although km 7 came up at 3:50 and I figure the GPS got briefly lost on the covered sections.  Then we're heading back to the north, this section is a bit of a grind as it's a very gradual, almost imperceptible uphill.  I'm feeling pretty strong but conscious that I'm just working a little harder than normal.  Some of the students have come out of their flats to cheer us on which is cool, most of them are still in their pyjamas and dressing gowns, classic Dunedin really.  Kms 8-10 were 3:28, 3:43, 3:42, and then we're into the Botanic Gardens.  I'd slowly taken my first gel at this point.  One guy has, surprisingly, stopped, and I run past him as I then catch another guy in a blue shirt who tells me he is blowing up a bit (no doubt feeling the hill).  The gravel path in the gardens has a bit of a short surprise hill (km 11: 3:47) but the scenery is a nice distraction and then we're back on the road.

Another short hill and I ALMOST took a wrong turn but got saved by a marshal here (PHEW!).  Relieved, I rip down the other side and now I'm on full alert for course markers and marshals because I know the next few km are where the course criss-crosses itself a few times.  Coming back past the stadium, my Takapuna singlet gets a big cheer from a marshal who is also an Aucklander!  Definitely a nice boost.  Despite entirely failing to grab a cup of water (sorry water guy) I'm feeling really locked in pace-wise through this section, even though the wind has definitely gotten up as we turn back to the north.  Kms 12-16 were 3:30, 3:33, 3:37, 3:34, and 3:33.  At this point I click that a PB might be on the cards if I can hang in there, knowing that 3:36-ish avg. pace would be PB territory and that was on a course that measured a little long.

We are now running back past the stadium for the third time.  The final section is out to Ravensbourne and back, and I know there's one final hill before a flat fast finish.  The glutes and hamstrings are starting to tire a little but I reckon I have enough to hang in there pace-wise, as long as this hill doesn't take too much.  I slowly take a second gel to give me an energy hit.  We're on the footpath here as the road isn't closed and the footpath has a slightly inconsistent camber.  Km 17 is 3:43/km and at this point I realise that on current pace I could well be into PB territory.  If I can hit those last 3km in under 11 minutes or so, we're there, and that's well below current pace.

Even though we're over the hill, the footpath and the wind are making for slightly harder work than I'd like.  I figure I'll get a speed boost on the downhill shortly and then a tailwind to finish (I hope).  Boom goes the downhill and I almost got distracted and took another wrong turn at the bottom here (thanks, marshalls!) but then I'm onto what is basically the home straight.  It's another waterside path, with a few joggers and people out enjoying a beautiful morning.  Another marshal cheers for my Takapuna shirt and with km's 18-19 also holding solid (3:35, 3:31) I am just focused on holding on to the finish.  I can see the stadium and every step is a step closer.  I don't have enough to take it up a level and my breathing is definitely getting a bit heavy but I reckon I can hang out at my current pace.

I hit a gravel section that I didn't expect, fortunately it's quite short, and there's the stadium looming large now.  I pass a couple of 10km runners where the courses merge, one of them got a bit grumpy about it as he didn't realise I was running the half, he tried to catch me, before flagging it.  Another turn and we're into the stadium, the finish line is two turns and around 100m away, so I just gas it at this point, resulting in an almost imperceptible increase in my actual pace.  I actually almost cried because I looked at my watch and realised I'd be well under 1:16.  Across the finish line and BAM!  1:15:45 on the watch and actual official time 1:15:40.  I'm absolutely elated as I didn't expect to PB on such a technical course where it was hard to maintain a rhythm.

The even better news is that I'm 9th overall, and 2nd M35+, meaning I get to stand on the podium and get a silver medal!!  I also got the prize pack for winning the Masters race since the overall winner (Sam Wreford, unsurprisingly) was also in that category, but took out the Open 1st place prize.  It is a huge buzz and I think wifey was almost as stoked as me when I face-timed her.  Just feeling lucky to have had a day where the weather was near-perfect and I was able to really execute a race strategy of just locking in the pace and holding it.

The even better news is that I'm writing this in the airport frequent flyer lounge and they've just brought out sausage rolls and mini pies!  OK time for some eating haha bye guys.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Congrats Mark, great time and placing.

When I lived in Dunedin it took me ages to figure out why I got tired heading north, then I finally got a car and realised it's actually a reasonable gradient - not what I'd call a hill but enough for your legs to notice after a km or 2.

2024 Races:

Amazing race execution! Incredible negative split and very even it looks like you benefitted from running solo. What was the prize though?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marks half pace is what most of us dream for 5k pace 

Great job Mark, Stephen Lett won the Hamilton Half in about 2011 or 2012 when i did the 10k. I think hes a sub 1.10 guy when hes fit. Sam wreford won Auckland Marathon when I ran it 2013 in 2.18. Oh and Stephen was 2nd in 2.24 that year.

Jmac Marks marathon equivalent would be close to sub 2.40 now and his 5k is getting soft too. Ah the pressures of constant PBs !!

Rune good to have you back.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "