Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

runethechamp

PIwi - I wasn't sure about the Pegasus when I tried them on earlier this year but now I think I will give them a try. Especially since it looks like I can get them for $80 some places.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Bro/Rune I loved the lunaracer and wore them for my 2 marathons.

I also wear pegasus for daily runs. I didnt know about the turbo model but just read RWarehouse review and seems they are primarily a daily trainer.

Bro i bought some Zoom Streak shoes as they were like $50 on special and they are very nice similar to Lunaracer but without lunarlon. I would use them for a marathon no problem.

I own the Zoom Streak and wore them for the Half.  They are pretty good, but I took them on a 19 mile run this summer and I felt like they just weren't enough and a bit on the hard side for 3+ hours. 

Lunaracer forever.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - Did you get the knit version of those shoes? I've seen some mention lately that they changed the glue for the liner and it hasn't done well in rain.

Am I the only one around here who doesn't run in Nike?? Suddenly I feel so lonely in my Altras... 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen I have adidas too. Mark is Mizuno.

Bro i havent done any huge runs in them. Maybe 16 miles.

Shoes are crazy expensive here so i look for online deals but shipping is a factor when you live at the bottom of the world.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Keen I have adidas too. Mark is Mizuno.

*was.

Mostly I run in Saucony now but still have a couple pairs of Mizuno that get used from time to time.  The Saucony Freedom ISO has been an absolute game-changer for long runs for me, and the Saucony Kinvara is a fantastic workout shoe.

I haven't actually had a pair of Nike running shoes, at least not since I actually became a runner.  No specific reason other than that other brands have worked for me and I've just had no real reason to try them.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

It turns out I won't be racing the 3K this weekend. And none of those track races either.

I will be traveling this Saturday to Dublin to work at the local company office for about 2 weeks, then 2 more weeks of working remotely from Dublin and London I reckon.

Hopefully I can find some race to get the blood flowing while I'm there.

I'm thrilled to get to know Dublin and visit the golden ground of the Guinness factory.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Thanks for all the feedback to my question

some follow up

Over the last 10 weeks I have done 10 workouts that involved MP segments, most recently a 16 miler (2E +12MP (7:41) + 2E).  My longest run was a 23 miler at the end of Aug that included 7@ MP+1T.  I have not perfectly hit the JD2Q 41-55MPW plan but have been right there with the MPW and close on the MP workouts.  I must say I have slacked on some of the tempo and I workouts, either not doing them at all, and running an easy pace in place or partially completing them.

I'm planning a HM Oct 27th, JD training calls for 14 @ MP that day, not sure how to approach the race yet.

I will put more focus on my MP workouts to ensure I hit them all as prescribed over the remaining weeks.

*EDIT*

not sure how accurate the heart rate numbers are

but max based on 220-age is 171 resting according to the old Garmin that I wear 24/7 is 50

JMAC good luck on the HM

Flavio good luck in the 3k  nvm since you're not racing...safe travels!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Corey - definitely race it. I would also mini-taper into it. For my 10 miler, I was running 70mpw around it, but only ran 45 miles that week before the race (for 56 total with race / warm up)

Flavio - your work is causing you to become quite the world traveler!

Keen - I run in Brooks, Adidas, and Asics. So pretty much everything but Nike 

Bro - no steam room for me. Everybody seems to be recommending that though, I read you can just basically breathe in hot water to do the trick, which I might start doing.

Me - Cold is so/so. Took another rest day today, we'll see how tomorrow goes. I have no idea how to adjust my taper for the fact that my mileage is going to be down this week. It's basically like I started my taper early. I'll have to ask the experts over in sub 3. Either way though, I'm either a) not running at all this weekend or b) if running the half, definitely not racing given I don't want to give 100% and ruin anything for the goal race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

It turns out I won't be racing the 3K this weekend. And none of those track races either.

I will be traveling this Saturday to Dublin to work at the local company office for about 2 weeks, then 2 more weeks of working remotely from Dublin and London I reckon.

Hopefully I can find some race to get the blood flowing while I'm there.

I'm thrilled to get to know Dublin and visit the golden ground of the Guinness factory.

Flavio, I am in Belfast, 100 miles up north Dublin. There are regular buses every hour all day and night so if you find the time to visit Belfast let me now, I'll show you around and we can get a pint.

If you have more than a few hours (a day or two) and you are a "Game of Throne" fun, then you can find organised visits to the sites where the movie was filmed. I am not a fun (never watched it) but I strongly recommend the north coast and the giant causeway (I went there at least 10 times with visitors).

The Guinness factory an museum is definitely worth a visit (and you can have a pint on the top level included in the ticket Wink

Another place I'd go is Galway and the cliff of moher

Let me know if you pass from Belfast Smile

On the shoes discussion, I run in Saucony and I always have, but I usually get those on offer. I like viratta and kinvara a lot as tempo/race shoes up to HM, while I loved the Cortana (but they do not produce them anymore... I found a similar substitute in the Zealot - which I am currently using). Unfortunately the Zealot are at the end of their life (about 700 miles on them) so I am starting a new pari of 8mm shoes for long run (Breakthrough). As I said, I mainly follow sales and offers...

I am in a low mile period, so I decided to get some speed in with intervals on the track with my running club. Yesterday was a fairly short and sharp session: 4 X 400  with 2' rest (I did 75'', 73'', 75'' and 75'') then 5X150 meters up hill (I was dead at the end of it....). I am planning what's next, I'd like to keep October light and try a couple of 5K or 10k or cross country, but I need to check with family commitments (they are not always happy for me to go and spend most of one day in the weekend running ... probably rightly so)

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - I really enjoyed the Freedom ISO and Kinvara while I ran in them, but haven't looked back since trying the Escalante.

Flavio - Enjoy the travels, and running in exotic locations! Also the beer.

Cfarr - I agree with JMac, race the half.
                      I'd scrap the 220- age for max HR. That formula is largely junk and was never even meant to be accurate. You really need to do a max HR test to figure what that number is. Since that doesn't really fit your training right now, what's the highest HR you've hit during an all-out 5k? Assuming you've done one in the past couple years. As for the resting HR number, in my experience Garmin typically overestimates that by 5-10bpm.

JMac - I'm really starting to dislike the similarities between NYC and OKC. First there's the weather, and now we're both sick!

Me - This morning was supposed to be 8E + 3T, but I just couldn't get out of bed to do it between tiredness from this cold and from DD3 (who is also sick) keeping me up most of the night. I may or may not try a shortened version of this during lunch today on the treadmill. Maybe 3E + whatever I can manage @T. Or I may just scrap it altogether in favor of trying to get some rest for a 20 tomorrow morning.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Flavio wow thats exciting. I wont travel more than 1 hour to do jobs as the price of petrol is so high and you are going across the world !

Marco those 400s are really good. I hit 80secs flat for my 8x400 workout. You clearly have speed. Amazing Flavio is coming to your country. I hear you on not letting running interfere with family. I run before they wake up. If i do a race i go alone nowadays but i hardly ever race.

Im sorry but i cant stomach Guiness  give me a Heineken anyday which some of you hate i know !

Keen at least OKC has a better NBA team than NYC 

Jmac im sure the taper interruption is really a non issue but one of those things that you think has to be perfect when marathon training.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

I am in a low mile period, so I decided to get some speed in with intervals on the track with my running club. Yesterday was a fairly short and sharp session: 4 X 400  with 2' rest (I did 75'', 73'', 75'' and 75'') then 5X150 meters up hill (I was dead at the end of it....).

Looking at this workout, you have the potential to do some really good things in the 5K-8K range.  I know when I was running Sub-5 for a mile a few years back I was averaging 50mpw and hitting 70-73 consistently in workouts.  It seems to me that if you can add some thing like:

2 mile warm up

2x200 (200m jog recovery)

2x400 (400m jog recovery)

1x800 (800m jog recovery)

2x400 (400m jog recovery)

2x200 (200m jog recovery)

1 mile cool down

You'd really see an increase (and some new stimuli) in your short game.  If you are 19:43 right now for your 5K, you could easily sneak beneath 18:30 with that type of speed.

runethechamp

Just to be clear, I have not run much in Nike up until now. But I've really liked running in the Peg Turbo and the Vaporfly so far. I was in Hokas exclusively for a long time, then I got some Adidas Bostons, then some NB Beacons, and now the Nikes. So in my rotation I now have Hoka Clifton 3, Hoka Clayton 2, Adidas Boston, New Balance Beacon, and the Nikes.

Flavio - Good luck with your Euro travels. Sounds like fun!

Marco - Yes, that is some good speed for your 400s. I ran between 80 and 85 for my reps earlier in this cycle.

JMac - There are good methods for extending tapers, which is used for most distances apart from the marathon to stay sharp over an extended period of time. You just stay at your taper intensities/distances for an extra week to keep the edge, but also to not lose any fitness. Don't try to make up for your missed last week of workouts by moving that distance up, it's not going to do anything for you less than 2 weeks before the race.

Keen - I think it's a good idea taking the day off or taking it a bit easy with everything going on. Sounds like your body needs it.

Corey - Race it! Do a best estimate of how fast you can run the half based on your workouts and go for an even paced race. Then you can see if you either blow up towards the end or if you have something extra in you for a strong finish.

I have to say I like this taper stuff with easier mileage and my legs feeling strong. Apart from that, I have decided, and maybe this is dumb, that I need to race with some different gels than the ones I've used so far in my training. I have the much more easily digestable SiS gels in hand right now and will get some Maurten gels tomorrow morning to try on a short m-paced segment tomorrow as well as for the 3x1 mile tempo run on Tuesday. If it seems ok then I will go with a combination of those for the race.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Rune: So you got yourself some Kipchoge kicks? Where did you buy them? I heard it was close to impossible to get a hold of them. Nice doggo pictures. She was completely done Smile

Me: its been a hectic week with some business travel and lots of deadlines. Some business interruption due to hurricane Michael (hope everyone in FL, AL, Georgia and the Carolinas) is fine. There is yet another hurricane thats heading towards Portugal this time. Crazy times.

Anyways I had a half lined up for today and I wanted to break 100min. But then got myself a stomache bug that started developing earlier in the week after one of my colleagues sat next to me walking me through a project and sneezing the entire time. Felt fine at the start but after mile 10 the wheels came off - I still finished because I wanted that stupid shower bag that I had opted for instead of the medal. I am now lying in bed with an empty stomache as I cant keep stuff down and heavy legs Smile

Too bad as I dont think that I will be able to race again this year due to work....

Next year will be better! Hope that Jmac and all the other racers had a better experience!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm in a real damn pickle. Effectively haven't run for 4 straight days now and a cough developed. I tried for a few miles again today and although most of the body feels good, my lungs still don't feel great. I'm getting to the point where I need to make a choice: take a risk and start running again, or just keeping taking days off doing anything to stay healthy. I know a cough can last weeks and it's a fine line between running through and developing something more serious, but I would be so disappointed to set myself up for a marathon PR only to have to rest for 2 straight weeks now and lost a good amount of fitness.

Will wake up tomorrow morning and decide what to do about my half. This cough isn't major, but I certainly run the risk of turning it into something bigger.

Do I take the risk and run now, or just keep waiting to see if it gets better? I will say just running the marathon and not PRing would not make me happy, so it almost feels like it's worth taking the risk. I'm trying to figure out how many days I can legit take off and still be able to go for a PR.

Choices, choices...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)