Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Rune best of luck. I will be watching the live stream of Amsterdam and Toronto which has Kiwi Jake Robertson in it.

Mick those shoes sound like a crazy good deal.

My week

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Oct 15, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 21, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Mon 6.1 8.40 Recovery Link
    Tue 7.5 8:02 Morning Run with 6 x 400 strava
    Wed 6.2 8:41 Morning Run strava
    Thu 11.2 7:45 Finally a water fountain strava
    Sat 6.3 7:03 Morning Run with 6k tempo strava
    Sun 13.7 7:56 5 men and a dog strava
      51.0 7:53    

4th week at 80kms. Solid tempo yesterday on a gravel path with little ups and downs. Didnt check my watch till after the run and was expecting a tempo portion of 6kms at 4.05/km but ended up been 3.55/km although its probably about my current 10k pace.

I didnt get into London but looking at Brighton now april 14th. Sounds like a good event and course and hometown of Mikkey on sub 3 thread.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - nice week and of course good to give yourself a race to target!!  Especially one you can plan a bit of a trip around.  I'll maybe try and do the race/holiday combo next year with Gold Coast Half or Sunshine Coast Half in Oz.

MJ - new shoes FTW.  I was about to buy another pair of Saucony Freedom ISOs on sale yesterday, but then realised that I already have 3 pairs stockpiled and by the time I get through them the ISO 2 will probably be on sale haha.

Me - another decent week in the bag, including a much better set of 1500 repeats on Tues and a good track workout on Sat.  I did 400's, which I haven't done for ages and as JMac observed on Strava, I kind of messed around on the first 2-3.  It took me that long to get a feel for a proper 400m effort again!!  Anyway the reps went 78, 77, 76, 74, 69.  Probably next time I'll aim to get them all in the low 70's or high 60's.  But still hopefully a good way to find a bit of speed and cadence with Auckland Half next Sunday.

Off to Melbourne tonight for a client meeting tomorrow, sucks because it is a public holiday here in NZ but not in Australia!  Grr!  On the bright side we are staying in town there so at least I'll be able to go for a run around the botanic gardens tomorrow morning.

M: weights

T: 14km incl. 4x1500m/500m jog

W: 17.7km easy

Th: 10.9km incl. hill reps

F: weights

S: 16.2km track workout incl. 5x400/800 jog and 5km tempo

S: 15.1km easy

Total: 73.8km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac: I hope those stomach issues wont bother you this time. Besides you have had many many hard long runs / workouts so I am sure this has prepared your tummy well for a big PR!

Mark: nice & fast week! Get those shoes, dont hesitate - life is short Big grin

Piwi: you know what - in the end it doesnt matter. But I get a kick out of every great bargain. I mean the Bostons I bought them through wiggle by using coupons and thus avoiding taxes - so effectively paid 75 bucks which on a per mile basis is hard to beat if you live outside of the US and without access to Ross Dress for Less (my all time favorite) / Century21 or Northstrom Rack.

I just read a coach 10k training plan description where the coach advised against any training repetition of the same workout before the typical 10-14 days since the body hasnt had time to transform the initial impuls. Seems logic. Any thoughts on this?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

what's up guys, I approve the Swiss currency name changing to SwissCheese.

Hopefully people will stop confusing it with Sweden then.

60.5km for me.

18km today with 3HMP + 2E + 3HMP.

The first HMP block was so hard and it was only on the way back that I was able to confirm that I was indeed running uphill the whole way LOL.

I was eyeing a possible half marathon in Hamburg the next weekend, but I'll have to settle for the 5K.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

On a side note, my Nokia phone upgraded to Android 9.0 Pie and Garmin Connect stopped working. I had to go into the bluetooth settings and request it to forget my watch so I could pair it again. It seems to be a common issue with Android 9 and Garmin.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Something went terribly wrong with Runes race....but I think it was still a PR?

runethechamp

Quick check in here. Conditions were perfect and I felt great through 18 miles, with effort and HR exactly where I wanted it to be. Then I was hit with really bad calf cramps that never let go and it felt like I had to stop every couple of minutes to try to stretch them out. Didn’t even feel tired when I crossed the finish line.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

So sorry to hear that. I saw you at km 5 and hat half time and you looked like you were on track. You should run another marathon soon to take advantage of your physical state. Or at least a half....

Btw maybe its a good thing that this happened in the European sincity though. Get a drink and decent company shouldnt be a problem Wink

Rune Sorry to hear...I thought you were primed for a good race!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Rune bummer. I started watching the livestream but fell asleep after an hour. Must have been nice starting in the Olympic stadium etc. I see Bekele failed again.

Mark you are another jetsetter ! The guys i ran with yesterday said Gene Rand won his race in Rarotonga ?

Flavio good to see all the running you are doing even with the travel. I will likely ditch my Tomtom at some stage and get another garmin as it always reads short.

Mick my latest Pegasus shoes were only $60US delivered.

Slow recovery run for me today as a bit sore in left hammy and calf. My last 2 days were tempo and Long so not the smartest schedule.

One of the guys yesterday brought his dog along and it managed 20kms easy.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - I love running around the Tan...usually a lot of, uh, talent there.  Check out the record for a lap on the timing posts!  Craig Mottram, lightning quick (not quick enough to beat Nick Willis in 2006 but still quick).

Rune - That is terribly bad luck.  Nothing you can do about it once it hits, good effort to get to the finish line.

I had a solid week, now building up to the Canterbury Half-Marathon in 7 weeks.

Monday:             70 mins incl. 4x(1,2) intervals.  15.94km @ 4:42mins/km, intervals 3:43-3:54

Tuesday:            Weights

Wednesday:       70 mins incl. 4x1km tempo.  15.12km @ 4:38mins/km.  tempo kms: 4:07, 4:05, 4:01, 3:57

Thursday:           70 mins recovery.  13.56km @ 5:11mins/km

Friday:                Weights

Saturday:            100 mins easy 20.46km @ 4:49mins/km

Sunday:              Weights

Saturday was tough, after last week running in cool temperatures after a late spring cold storm, this weekend spring arrived and it was very warm.  Heart rate was 20bpm quicker on average that last Saturday, and I didn't go as hard.  It's going to be tough if it stays warm over the next 7 weeks, and very tough if the race is on a hot day.  In conditions like Saturday, I don't see myself PBing, and to be honest, I probably shouldn't even attempt it if I don't want another Waterfront debacle.  But let's cross that bridge when I come to it.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

ZZCaptainObvious

Hey Folks! I've been creeping in this thread sporadically for 2018, great to hear that everyone is doing well and hammering along.

I ran the Haunted Hustle out in Middleton, WI in a lovely 35 F degree day over some gentle hills and one mean hill at mile 8 (70 ft elevation gain in about 400 m starting 5 m after a water stop is mean). Managed to crank out sub 1:29, which I was not really expecting! This was a good race, pretty small, but well run. Cold, but the indoor soccer fields were open and very nice.

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - yeah Gene won the Round Rarotonga race which is about 31km I think.  He was apparently cruising along in first place before Lisa Cross (who I think won the NZ womens XC champs this year) closed in on him towards the finish and he had to boost it towards the end.  He did it just under 2 hours and ended up winning by ~17 seconds so it was pretty tight!  Then there was like half an hour until third place so not exactly the deepest field of all time haha.

Flavio - nice week and those gradual uphills that don't seem uphill but you're still working hard do suck a bit.  There was a good one of those in the Dunedin half I did that blew a few people up.

Steve - nice week and yeah I am not a fan of this time of year when it starts to warm up either.  Weirdly I like running in cold, dark conditions so with it getting lighter and warmer in the mornings it's a reminder that winter is on the way out.  Had a nice run in Melbourne this morning, past AAMI Park and the MCG and those riverside paths down there are awesome.  Great morning - it was only 9-10 degrees and sunny but it's supposed to hit 27 later today!

CaptainObvious - welcome and congrats on the race.  Hang around for a bit and get into the banter!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - When I first wrote my post, I called the currency Swedish Fish, and then immediately realized how stupid I was 

Piwi - keep up the good work. Your tempo work has been especially impressive.

Mark - Good week, enjoy the travels. I’m better than I used to be, but still struggle to run while out of town.

MJ - I had an answer typed and then realized I may have misinterpreted your question/statement. What do you mean by the typical 10-14 days? Are you saying you should repeat the same type of workout within 10-14 days, or were you saying you shouldn’t do rep work within 10-14 days of your race?

Rune - So sorry for the cramps. That, and stomach issues, are the two things that can blow up a marathon and something you can rarely train out of your system. You are in great shape and you may want to consider another marathon soon to take advantage of your training since you didn’t trash yourself with all 26 at MP.

Steve - You can take over official thread weather complainer from me 

Me - Good week. Had my last big workout on Thursday as I intentionally delayed my taper since I barely ran last week. Today’s workout was actually pretty easy and my easy pace after the 3x2 was much faster than usual. It’s amazing how much easier cruise intervals are when you only do a 2 mile warmup instead of a 7 mile warmup. Anyway, real taper starts now. One more decent workout on Thursday and that’s pretty much it til the race. Should be going down to about 50 miles this week.

Weekly Summary
                              Monday, Oct 15, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 21, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description Link
                              Mon 6.1 8:14 Evening Run strava
                              Tue 10.0 7:17 Night Run strava
                              Wed 9.9 7:40 Evening Run strava
                              Thu 17.4 7:06 7E + 4x2T (@5:56) + 2E strava
                              Sat 10.1 7:20 Lunch Run strava
                              Sun 15.4 6:54 2E + 3x2T (@5:45) + 7E strava
                                68.9 7:18

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mick oh yeah I forgot to answer your question but I have heard that VO2max workouts dont show benefit for 10 days.

Mark Goldcoast Marathon would be nice. Quite a competitive field so you would have a good group to run with.

Steve yeah I have to run early 5.30am ish to beat the heat. Looks like I will be marathon training through summer which will be tough but should give some good benefits later. Is your 4 x 1km tempo continuous or with rests ? Continuous would be better for half training and 6kms would be a better distance.

CaptainObvious creeping rather than lurking  nice result in that half marathon.

Jmac awesome job on your last week before proper taper.

I finished watching Amsterdam this morning. Felt sorry for Bekele with all the pressure. I just wish he would finish one of these dam marathons even if he jogs in a 2.15 !

I just need to find a replay of Toronto. Kiwi Jake Robertson finished 5th in 2.09 just behind Levins who set a new Canadian record.