Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - I noticed that actually, there was one runner who was in a slow bracket but clearly just decided he was going to smash that to win a free entry to next year's race haha.  He was actually faster than Oska Baynes who ended up winning the half but I guess if you've had a cruisy 14km warm up that's to be expected.

Steve - I have three different approaches I use for long runs on warm days:

1. Plan my route around water fountains (there's a few go-to's both in town and near home that I can plan my route around)

2. Take some money and stop and buy a water bottle (on the plus side the water is guaranteed to be nice and cold out of the fridge haha)

3. Take a small bottle with a wrist strap (I have a Camelbak one that works OK, but I tend to avoid using it unless options 1 and 2 aren't available because frankly carrying the thing annoys the bejesus out of me).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Camille B is a very pretty young lady and I would have hugged her firmly if I had been in your shoes. But then again I dont get this much attention from amazing looking female strangers strangers so I am a bit more starved as compared to you, Mark Smile

Jmac: I hope I havent crossed the line here again Wink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

A very good 5k today. 18:34, best time in 2 years. Cold was never a factor, weather was nearly perfect with dry 4 degrees Celsius and no wind. Note to muricans: 0C is the point where water freezes, 100C is the point where water boils, as God intended.

5k was a small race with only 50 runners as most ran the 10k or the main race the half marathon (Süderelbe Halbmaraton).

I ended up in 5th place but the podium only had 3 places haha, so no prize for me.

I tried to run with 2nd 3rd and 4th as long as I could and that was for 2km, then I lost contact mostly due to the pace being too hot for me. From then on it was a survival game to the finish line, especially the last 800m where I had to ward off a challenge but ended up ahead by 9 seconds. I'm quite happy about it though you can clearly see I was going for a PR.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mark nice week and RR congrats on another impressive race!

Piwi nice week hope the calf gets to feeling better.

Steve  my long runs are planned around water fountians I have  3 of them on my normal route and make a point to stop at them at each pass unless I am in a workout mile.

Jmac hope you are feeling better too

Flavio way to go on your 5k!

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Flavio thats a very fast time especially on limited training.

Mick to be fair I do normally average closer to 5 min/km but my calf niggle forced me to run slow last week.

Mark you do form a bond during races with other runners. Like a shared experience. Bonus if they are hot and want a hug 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I just googled Camille and I agree with Mick...

Image result for Camille Buscomb

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Classic I know that spot Steve it's down in Westhaven (the Auckland Marathon actually goes right through there, except in the other direction and on the road rather than the walkway).

Flavio - well done on the 5km race.  Gotta admit I'm looking forward to my 5km race in a couple weeks.  Haven't done any shorter races since last year's Corporate Challenge so will be fun to go for a bit of a blast.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You guys never cease to amaze me 

Mark and Corey great races. Mark I was on the treadmill today and there was an option to run the "Auckland" route I almost picked it in your honor.

Flavio - anybody with half a brain recognizes how much superior the metric system. Americans rarely meet that requirement though  Great race though glad you can still race and do well while traveling.

Me - taper bug has hit me, dealing with some really bad pain in ball of my foot (probably a form of metatarsalgia) that is causing me to limp even while walking. I swear one day I will get through a taper without dealing with this. At this point I know it's coming, it's just a question of when. I now know that weird feeling you get in muscles and tendons is just taper phantom nonsense, but this is just annoying. Was able to get my 13 done today with it, but it hurt throughout. Goal is to get it to heal up by race day. I actually went through a period yesterday where I wondered if it's all in my head haha. But nah this one is real unfortunately, and I think it's from some work shoes that are so worn down I should have gotten rid of them a long time ago. I will not go to a doctor this year though, I don't need a stress fractures diagnosis like last year 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac, I've run that Auckland route on the treadmill many times, I think there's a Wellington one too?  Having said that, I don't miss my treadmill days.

I have a pain in the ball of my left foot too.  First time I've had it, I'm putting it down to my shoes being 5 months old.  I have a new pair arriving in the mail today hopefully.

And um, appreciating an athlete is okay isn't it?

Flavio, great race, that is quick.  Mark, I have the 5km in 9 days and I think I'm looking forward to it although I'm expecting to suffer.  We actually haven't entered a team yet because I'm the only one to sign up.  I guess I'll do it if I'm the only one, we do have a Wellington office competing too and it's a bit of a grudge match.  Wellington has had the first finisher for the past few years so I've been told I need to bring it home...that time was 20:45 so assuming there's no great improvement up north I would hope I can do it.  And I understand there's something about a Gaga outfit if I don't.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Jmac sorry about the pain in your foot I hope you get over it soon!

For me a successful week..

My plan try and keep my mileage somewhere in the 45-55 range the next 2 weeks then start my Taper.

I need to make a correction to my prior post I finished 33rd overall out of 638 not 28th

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Oct 22, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 28, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Mon 6.5 8:40 Afternoon Run strava
                      Wed 6.6 8:38 Evening Run strava
                      Thu 6.6 9:10 Evening Run strava
                      Sat 0.4 9:16 Morning Run strava
                      Sat 13.0 7:12 Spinx Runfest HM 2018 strava
                      Sun 11.1 9:01 Afternoon Run strava
                        44.2 8:25    

PR's

I once ran with the lead lady in a half marathon. i wasnt a gentleman like Mark and i out kicked her to the finish.

Thats her getting interviewed by radio and me grovelling on my haunches against the fence 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I once ran with the lead lady in a half marathon. i wasnt a gentleman like Mark and i out kicked her to the finish.

Thats her getting interviewed by radio and me grovelling on my haunches against the fence 

[url=https://postimg.cc/HJV7Vm8p][img]https://i.postimg.cc/HJV7Vm8p/grovel.jpg[/img][/url]

To be clear, I wasn't being a gentleman, I just didn't have enough gas left to kick it up a gear like she did!!

Also that picture is brilliant.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Omg I am in tears. Thank you Piwi, this is golden!!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - so exactly how much ‘splaining did you have to do back home about this Camille who talked about you after the race 

Mark - 5Ks are awesome, short time suffering and immediate recovery.

Jmac - Ugh, this always happens to you. Just try to sleep-through the week, you should be fine.

Piwi - that’s hilarious, on the other hand, gentlemanliness (is that a word?) does not apply to races. I too was pushed to a 40:23 10K once (from previous PR of 44minutes) cause I was 20 meters ahead of the lead female and I could hear the motorbike roaring just behind.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Piwi  That's awesome... Great to wake up to that this morning!

PR's