Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

If any of you has time to kill, here's an excellent read:

"I won a hobbyjogger road race this morning. Ask me anything."

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=9081053

Hilarious trolling from both OP and the rest ensues.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Both Piwi’s picture and the LRC thread are amazing. LRC can be so childish sometimes with posters, but when all parties involved are trolling, it is at its finest.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

So much movement over the weekend! It's always interesting that RA overall seems to be dead on Fridays, but there can be a lot of activity on Sat & Sunday.

Cfarr - Great RR, and great result!

Flavio - Awesome 5k! Giving that LRC thread a read when I have a bit.

Piwi - Good week, even with the calf thing. Can't see the pic!

Mark - Great RR from you as well.

Steve - Solid week. For LRs with the running club there are always separate water and sports drink coolers, about every 5k. Without those I typically carry 1-3 soft water flasks with me, depending on length of run and temperature. The soft flasks are good because they collapse to nothing as you empty them, so they're easy to tuck in my waistband or a shorts pocket. This with zero water access. If I had water fountains I could count on I'd carry at least less water with me, perhaps no water depending on how frequently I could get to it otherwise. Naked Sports has a belt-type thing that's relatively cheap but would make carrying those pretty easy while keeping your hands free. I'm thinking about one for next year if I start training more for ultras.

JMac - Bummer about the foot. I like the thinking around "no doctor, no stress fracture".

Full-on training is now in the bag and I'm starting my taper! The M-pace(ish) LR Saturday was tough, but certainly doable. Even at the end of a pretty big week I felt that I could have kept that up for at least another couple miles before starting to feel "undue" stress. HR didn't get to/consistently stay at what I'd expect for a marathon until ~mile 10. No issues with taking gels every ~5 miles + Endurolytes at the hour mark.

My younger brother was kind enough to wake up super-early to ride his bike alongside me to serve as a rolling water stop, so I didn't have to carry it myself or stop at a fountain. The run was marred only by an emergency GI stop (not nutrition related) just before mile 6.

I still can't do math while running. I was planning on 14 miles, and "did the math" in my head to figure out my turn-around mileage to get me back to my start spot at 14 miles (started doing math at mile 10.75). Down the road a bit I realized that my initial math was wrong, and that I needed to turn around a bit earlier than I originally figured. Even that modified turnaround was off by 1/4 mile! I kept running after hitting 14 just because I didn't want to walk the extra 1/2 mile back to the car.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Oct 22, 2018 thru Sunday, Oct 28, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
        Mon 15.5 7:21 Daniels 3T + 5x 2min I + 1T 146 (74%) strava
        Tue 12.1 8:03 5 rabbits, some serenading coyotes, and an owl catching a mouse 135 (69%) strava
        Wed 10.1 8:04 Deer tracks in the dew and running on reserve headlamp power 137 (70%) strava
        Thu 13.3 7:27 Daniels 5E, 2x 2T 146 (74%) strava
        Thu 4.1 8:18 No hobby jogger reservoir loop for me! - NYC 128 (65%) strava
        Fri 10.6 8:21 Following the fog back in to town 134 (68%) strava
        Sat 14.5 6:55 Daniels 14.5M. Testing the race kit and nutrition plan. 158 (81%) strava
          80.2 7:40      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

jaimegu

[Lurk mode off]

Hi, guys,

JMac:  I'm having a similar pain.  I had X-rays to discard stress fracture, but the doctor suspected Morton's neuroma then I was referred to a podiatrist who confirmed the diagnosis  by a lateral squeeze test (where you can feel a crunchy "Mulder's click").

Anyway,  I'm not saying you have this or that, I'm only mentioning what I have and you might find it useful.  Orthotics is one way to go.  Metatarsal pads are the poorman's approach (pay attention, you don't put it under the ball of the foot, but rather where it ends).  Dr Scholls has a triple runner's insole that has a metatarsal pad incorporated.

Another suggestions I received were ice,  wide toebox shoes

I'm not going into the treatment, because that's a totally different beast.

Mark: Congrats.... And lucky you that your wife was not around

If you ask about me,  I paced a guy for his last 37 Kms in an ultra... I took him from 51st position to 29th...

We lost the summer soccer final in penalty kicks

I'm playing in an indoor league  (and limping the rest of the week)

Happy running

[lurk mode on]

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

OK guys (and DWave, if you unlurk), prediction time! I'll drop a bigger version of this in sub-3:20, but here goes:

Using Daniels with 2Q per week.

Weekly mileage for past 15 weeks (old to recent):
            75.58 (18:54 5k PR at the end of this week, had some gas left)
            38.29 (sick, missed 80% of one workout)
            49.48 (sick, missed one workout completely)
            Total mileage: 1,095.59. Weekly avg: 73. Should hit ~70 during first week of taper as well. 
            All but one week at at least one run of 15+ miles, many with 2-3 of such distance. 10 runs of 17.5 miles or greater, including 3x 20's.

Big M-pace workout at the end of last week Here. Similar terrain to my goal marathon, except with no 200' drop in the first mile. HR got to what I've historically averaged for a marathon at ~mile 10, which is about the same as for my current PR marathon.

Whatcha think I can run in 3 weeks? Need any more info?

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Hi Jaime, Im enjoying your strava indoor football posts ! Good job pacing that guy.

Keen wow another huge week. You are ready to rumble.

Jmac yeah even I find letsrun topics/posts pretty immature but there are some good ones. I dont get how posters change their user names all the time ? How does that work ? I guess they put up some pretty hardcore stuff and dont want to be identified.

Flavio thats a good topic that one. I guess we are hobby joggers even if we run 40-80 mpw . I dont identify as a runner and have never been in a club so Im pretty much a hobby jogger....otherwise Im a slow serious runner and I dont want to be that 

Im getting in some ok mileage with an 80% calf. No speedwork for now or it will snap in half !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Anyone see the conditions for Venice Marathon this year?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/venice-marathon-runners-forced-to-wade-through-ankledeep-water-after-high-tides-flood-course-a3973941.html

Sounds like it was only the final sections of the race but still pretty horrendous!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Keen - It looks like if I'm pacing a marathon right (granted, I've never hit that target perfectly yet ), I will hit the average HR somewhere right around halfway (as average per mile) . Somehow during the last week the morons at Strava have removed the HR data from the "laps" view so the data is unavailable there for you so I can't see where you're at there right now. So you should be very close to being able to hit sub-3 this time around.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jaime - good to hear from you. I bought a metatarsal pad yesterday, going to wear that in my work shoes this week. I actually found my old work shoes had a literal hole in the sole, so that definitely could have been the cause. Put them right in the trash this afternoon.

Piwi - yeah you can enter any name you want when you post, leads to a lot of the trolling unfortunately.

Keen - you are so damn close to sub 3. We are having a big debate over positive/negative splitting on the sub 3 thread. I am a big fan of negative splitting as you probably know. If I were you, I would run between 650 and 655 every mile and then see if I could hammer it home in the last 3 miles for sub 3.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mark that flooding would be a nightmare. Funny the 2nd place guy is a plumber 

Keen my guess is 3.05 for you. My MP runs were at about 4.10/km when I snuck sub 3.

4.15/km doesnt quite do it as we all run further than 42.2kms.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - I'm definitely no expert when it comes to marathons, but as my running has improved, I've definitely been negative splitting or even splitting half marathons a lot more (I typically shoot for even splits, so negative splits are largely unintentional unless the course specifically calls for it!).  In the half on Sunday, each 5km block was consistently faster than the last.  If nothing else, I'm sure it'd certainly feel a lot better to run a marathon with a negative split rather than have a death march for the last 5-6km!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - it’s funny you say that because you usually blast the first KM. Glad you’re starting to see the beauty of negative splitting. Also I don’t feel bad for those runners, you ran in a city known for its canals!

Keen - I thought about your pace more. Did I read correctly that you actually stopped at some point in the middle of that MP work to use the restroom? That diminishes the value of the workout a bit unfortunately. You’ve never gotten a good chance to race unfortunately to prove your fitness. I guess you need to think over the next 2 weeks about which path you would prefer: go for sub 3 with the chance of a blow up for 3:10, or just go out and run a 3:02 in an enjoyable fashion, but knowing you may have gotten sub 3. Not an easy choice to make. I think you’re in the 35-39 bucket for 2020 Boston though right? That may push it more towards going for the 3:02 which should be pretty secure for a BQ.

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - it’s funny you say that because you usually blast the first KM. Glad you’re starting to see the beauty of negative splitting. Also I don’t feel bad for those runners, you ran in a city known for its canals!

Actually both those things are true.  I still tend to run that first km slightly quick - just not 3:20 quick like I used to, and generally after that km's 12-21 are slightly faster than km's 2-11!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Great running all, especially Keen's mileage and Marks races.

Great posting too as there was a lot to catch up on m!

I was in Camile's half PR race in Hamilton 2015.  She ran 1:14:20 and was about 20 minutes ahead of the second woman (small field).

Running has been minimal.  But did last week successfully complete the house build and moved on.  Still got to sort the outside (need soil, grass etc.) plus garage shelving etc.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - Typically I've hit the HR I'll average around miles 12-13, during this run it was ~mile 10. I'm certainly happy with that given that 1) this was at the end of a big week, not tapered. 2) it was a bit warmer and more humid that morning than it has been the last few weeks, and what I would expect race day to be.

JMac - I've actually been reading through the debated in the sub-3 thread. Not that I've been able to do it past the HM distance yet, but I'm a fan of the negative split as well.
                                I did have to stop for just a bit during that run, which I wasn't happy with. Honestly, I'd be happy with a 3:02 or so for a solid BQ and go for sub-3 next time. I know I'm pretty close, but I don't want to miss a goal that should be achievable for me (BQ) trying to reach for a stretch goal.
                                How's the foot doing? Early last year I had a foot issue that was caused by my everyday shoes, but only showed when running. Once I realized what the issue was and fixed it the problem disappeared entirely in just a couple days.

Watson - Hi! Good luck getting the house stuff finished.

Piwi - The picture is showing for me now. That's both hilarious and awesome! 

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4