Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Jmac looks like you will be running at around 1am our time so Im going to miss the excitement of tracking. My last marathon the sub 3 crowd were tracking me and it had me on an estimated finish of sub 2.40 

Was probably a let down when I ran 2.54 which was my target 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac looks like you will be running at around 1am our time so Im going to miss the excitement of tracking. My last marathon the sub 3 crowd were tracking me and it had me on an estimated finish of sub 2.40 

Was probably a let down when I ran 2.54 which was my target 

Sub 2:40?!?! Was that bad tracking or did you go out and run a suicidal pace? I'm having some little devil on my shoulder telling me I should go for 2:45 instead of 2:50, but I'm trying to swat him away.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - My bib is 1706. Technically I should be in the "local competitive" corral but I had no idea how to apply for it and missed the boat, which would have put me into the triple digits. Either way, I'm in the front most corral and lowest section of numbers you can be in without being an elite, so that's cool. I'm sure someone will track me over on sub 3, but it's here: https://liveresults.nyrr.org. Marathon tracking for NYC really is the best I've ever seen, as they actually give you splits every single mile. I feel like when I track other people, it's rare to even get splits every 5K.

On your jacket comment, I went looking for jackets this past weekend. Even the small at most companies is way too big or baggy for me. I don't feel your pain with the height issue given I'm only 5'9", but it's horrible for runners.

I found you in the NYC Marathon app, just wanted to verify, though. Bummer about missing the local elite corral! OKC and Tulsa don't have anything like that.

You'd think that companies that make clothes for activities that are somewhat populated by skinny people would make clothes to fit said skinny people.

Did you try anything from Mizuno? Some of the running jackets from them I tried on had the right body fit, but just didn't have the length for someone with my wingspan. Could be a good option for you.

Definitely take a look in a bike shop. Everything for that sport is expected to be nearly skin tight, so even a "size up" should give you enough room for a layer or two underneath.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Damn, I wish I could be awake to track it too.  2 years ago I arrived in New York the afternoon/evening of the marathon...longest, slowest Uber ride of my life and I couldn't even chat with the others in the Share because I'd lost my voice in Chicago at the All Blacks match the previous night.  The hangover possibly contributed to the pain of that ride in from JFK.

I look forward to waking up on Monday morning to see a sub 2:50 from JMac Smile

I broke out some new shoes on my easy run last night.  I hadn't realised how worn the old ones wore but my legs feel amazing today.  Still, I'll have to endure the old shoes a few more times, I like to bring in new shoes slowly to avoid too much blistering.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Jmac bad tracking of course ! I ran 2 x 1.27.

Steve got you on strava now. Strava is much better to get an idea of your training etc.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'm liking strava, a social network full of something I'm actually interested in!

Piwi, on your last run, were you trying to create a certain, um, shape on the map?

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

By being a total creeper on Piwi's Strava, I have now followed you as well Steve. I agree with Piwi that it's easier to follow along that way, sometimes hard to digest after an entire week.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac -  good luck for Sunday!!  Will be checking my Strava as soon as I get up to see how you've gone.  Cool that you get to be near the front too and all the best for that sub-2:50.

As I read it, looks like weather conditions will be damn near perfect. 10C / 50F, only light winds (and the easterly will mostly just be a cross wind anyway?)  Hope it stays that way!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks everyone. Weather really is damn near perfect. The last two I've done, I've raced them in 62/16 degree weather. Sunday should be 46/8 at the start and 51/11 by the end with a very light wind, may be slightly in the face but only 5mph so it's negligible. It's funny because the weather forecast is terrible around the entire race (got up to 70/21 today), but perfect day of. Talk about lucky, I think Mark's recent half weather has rubbed off on the rest of the world (just like the colds that went around)

Marky_Mark_17

JMac- I had very similar conditions in Dunedin and Taupo, so hoping they go as well for you!  I had a pair of cheap gloves that I wore for warm-up in Dunedin and then chucked early in the race when my hands were warm, probably the sub-3 group will have some more experience on this front.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

8-11 is as perfect as it gets...so now I expect 2:45.

My half PR was on a perfect day, albeit -5C at the start, but I prepared with a jacket I could throw away.

2024 Races:

Steve if you are talking about my round Mount Maunganui run then no. If it looks like a big knob then thats an accident 

I find on Strava you get to know people a little better as you see their photos and environment they run in. I think Im marginally less of a jerk on there 

Jmac there was a documentary on last night following an out of shape aussie guy running NYC. He finished in 6+ hours. It was cool to see the amazing support along the course.

Im in an elevation challenge this month through a facebook running group. We are in teams of 3 and there are about 20 teams. We tally up our teams elevation on strava each week. My team is called " Getting High "

Theres no way we will win but it will motivate me to run some hills. Today did 400m climb.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Congrats on the forecast for the weekend. I actually have one running buddy who did part of a loop in Central Park this morning who is running the race, and the woman who beat my in my recent half (who was also mentioned in a Runner's World article this past week) is also running NYC.

Piwi - Good luck in your search for elevation!

Last night and this morning were a bit weird, so I missed my run this morning. I won't have time to make up the full 10 miles I was planning on, but there are a couple Strava segments very close to work that are within my reach and would make for a great Rep & Interval. You know, just to add a bit of intensity to offset the lack of miles. Not at all competitive and owning all of the nearby segments that aren't already owned by a former half Ironman world champion...

Yesterday I came dangerously close to buying a road bike for some cross training. Maybe I'll pick up a used one for cheap on the other side of town for cheap this weekend.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Keen nothing wrong with using strava segments to motivate you for some faster stuff. Biking is an excellent way to get some recovery on your legs without any impact stress. I must try it one day . OKC Thunder were 0-4 and looking shit but now have 3 wins on the trot thankfully ! Of course I know you wont be watching them today !

Another 500m climbing for me today but I did feel my grumpy calf complain. If it goes again it will be my stupid fault but what the hell my philosophy is to rip it to bits and it will grow back beastly strong........

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen nothing wrong with using strava segments to motivate you for some faster stuff. Biking is an excellent way to get some recovery on your legs without any impact stress. I must try it one day . OKC Thunder were 0-4 and looking shit but now have 3 wins on the trot thankfully ! Of course I know you wont be watching them today !

Another 500m climbing for me today but I did feel my grumpy calf complain. If it goes again it will be my stupid fault but what the hell my philosophy is to rip it to bits and it will grow back beastly strong........

Two new CRs!

How much did the calf complain?

I figure I can probably get a used bike and trainer to stick in the garage and be out less than what a new, entry-ish level bike would cost. This should get me a good cross-training platform without sinking too much money into it. Of course it could also lead to duathalons...

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4