Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - one thing I keep forgetting is that Steven Adams is a fellow Kiwi! I was like “why is Piwi so obsessed with them, I don’t get it.” Then, I was watching a game and they mentioned it and I literally went “ah!” out loud. I’m glad nobody heard it because it would have been hard to explain the connection to my step up from imaginary friend (as Keen calls us).

He's a big celebrity here because he's the only NBA player of any real consequence NZ has ever produced.  Australia has had a few but up until now the best we'd managed was Sean Marks who was a useful role player at best.

Adams' half-sister Valerie is a double Olympic gold medallist (shot put) and had some insane streak in terms of major event wins, I think it was over 50 consecutive wins before she had to have surgery for an injury.

Talented family.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Keen Good luck this weekend sounds like the weather will be great, I agree with Mark, have fun and enjoy the experience. You have put in a lot of work I am sure you will have a good showing.

Piwi sorry the calf is still bothering you.

Since everyone else is talking about weather, It has been cold (40-45F/ 4-7C) and raining on and off here for a week or so...I don't like the cold much, especially when it is raining, so have been inside on the treadmill the last 2 days and getting tired of it already.

The temp would not be so bad by itself but when it is dark and raining as well, it sucks.

At least it will be backing the mid 50s /12C and sunny here this weekend.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Cfarr sounds nasty. Wasnt so bad here at the beach today 

Jmac my wife laughs at me as I have some sort of obsession with Adams and plan my work around watching their games. I was worried they would be terrible after a 4 loss start but now they are crushing it and their 2nd team is so much better than last year. They beat your team the Nicks convincingly today 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

oh it is woke up this morning and it is 34F and raining hard....will continue through tomorrow morning before clearing out.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Back on track after slacking for 3 days. I'm feeling more tired than normal and I'm sure the 22h trip from yesterday (Dublin-Porto Alegre) has a lot to do with it.

Also, the Jmac points are a lot higher than Dublin.

On the bright side my weight remained the same despite the 3x I had the Irish breakfast while on Leprechaun land.

The plan now is to get back into the same consistency I had before the trip, hopefully climbing back up close to 70-80km per week. We don't have races in Jan/Feb so there's some good preparation time for the 5Ks starting in March.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys! The forecast is looking pretty awesome, and I haven't run into any niggles except feeling a little tight, which isn't much of an issue at all. Things are a bit scary on the home front, though. My wife is getting over strep throat, but now DD2 and DD3 both have fevers and runny noses - they're heading off to the doc soon because of their proximity to strep. My throat was feeling sore yesterday afternoon/night, but that thankfully went away by morning. And hopefully it stays that way, and hopefully DD1 continues to miss the bug as well.

JMac - I actually picked up that descriptor from someone over on the sub-3:20 thread.

Flavio - It was good to see you put something up on Strava again.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

CK - you're a better man than I...I would have moved to a hotel days ago!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - Best of luck this weekend! I may have missed it, but did you give tracking info? Also, the worst part of people being sick around you because every cough or tickle in your throat convinces you that you are getting it as well.

Flavio - That's a longggg trip. Also you misspelled Kiwi, I think you spent too much time in Europe, corrupted your brain.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I dont think there was anything left to be corrupted, Jmac

Keen: best of luck man! Great work during the entire cycle and now its time to reap the benefits!

I just recovered from a cold. Nasty week off. But...my legs where really fresh after that forced taper week. And I have run 3 times around the 10k mark - most of em with colleagues, that are in the average some 8-10 years younger and 20 pounds lighter. And fast.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - ouch, up those calories to ensure a strong immune system.

Jmac - Jmac points sounds so much better . There's a race in 10 days here, which will offer 3k, 5k and 10k. The difference is how long you stay in the sauna. I was reminded of you.

MJ - that will make you younger and lighter by running with them. Now let’s talk about a more important subject. What is this Glute Force you’re talking about 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio: I am "glute intolerant", thats why 

No honestly I dont know who came up with the name but the Glute Force thats my team in the 2018 challenge. We are #3. Mark is second to last with his team

May the glute be with you Wink

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

Yeah my team sucked a bit.  We did OK through the middle but then just sucked over the last few months and got booted out in the first knockout round.  There were about 4-5 runners who were consistently hitting their mileage targets but too many weren't.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - This race is way too small for tracking; I won't even know my bib number before picking it up tomorrow!

Kind of a crazy day today around here. DD2 & DD3 started acting a bit sick, so DW decided to take then them to the doctor. Neither had a fever when we got there (DD2 had a slight one when we left) & the pediatrician checked both of their throats - didn't look like step. They did run a strep test on DD2, which came back positive. Then they checked DD3, and she has strep too!  Needless to say they're both on antibiotics now.

I start to worry about myself getting it and I really don't want to drive 5+ hours to this marathon tomorrow if I'm going to be sick for it. A trip to the doctor later and I find out that I do NOT (currently) have strep!  I'm super psyched about that, and that DD1 is still doing well, too.

All I have to do is stay not sick for another day-and-a-half and I should be golden!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Good luck Corey you will be fine 

Flavio how is the job situation ?

I went surfing again today which is a good distraction from trying to run on a marginal calf.

I will go for a jog in the morning round the block so I can bail if needed.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - good luck and stay positive!! Those household bugs can be rough but they don't always hit everyone.  Kids have a much lower threshold for picking up those sorts of things.  Looking forward to seeing how the race goes!

Piwi - fingers crossed.  I have a stupidly long track workout planned again for tomorrow.  Enjoyed it last week so we'll see if we can push the pace a bit more this week.

Me - how is it that I skipped the gym today because I'm on daddy daycare all day, and yet I feel more tired than if I'd done a 30km long run?!  Haha chasing after toddlers is hard work but we did have a big day, went to my office, went to the beach and had a swim, went to the playground, went to the hardware store and then McD's for dinner.  Keen I have no idea how you manage 3, even between my wife and I it is enough work looking after 1 (she is a miniature hurricane though).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"