Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - good to hear about the calf. I imagine you’ve tried everything at this point, but what about a) calf sleeves b) different rollers (I think you said you had some home made one but maybe something more advanced c) calf raises or other strengthening

I’m still battling my foot, but going to run on it anyway. I gave it 2 weeks off and it just sort of leveled off in pain, so I don’t think any more time off was going to help. Hoping it’ll just be something I have to manage over the coming weeks and it’ll eventually go away, similar to some of my other injuries I’ve had.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Piwi nice to hear about your calf glad it seems to be getting better.

Mark Nice Race and Race report

I ran the 8k Thursday did very well.  Although it is an "unofficial" race as they have a clock but do not keep official time for any runners, I count this race as my official PR since I have never ran any other 8k and it has become somewhat of a tradition for me and my son to run on Thanksgiving Day every year.

Since I count this as my official PR race I broke my prior 8k PR by 1:16 and ran a 32:38.

I kept the effort very even throughout, paces were 6:45/ 6:50/6:37/ 6:43/ 6:28.  I was even unofficially able to break my 5k PR during this race, so that looks good for my annually January 5k.

Still feeling good going through this taper I'm starting to feel fresh, I have one last long run today to cap off just a bit over 30 miles for this week. I have 2 weeks remaining

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Cfarr big congrats on the double PR.

Jmac good to see you running again albeit in discomfort. Sorry I cant be of more help but I had the similar injury back in 2014 during peak marathon training and I cant really remember how long it took to disappear, maybe 1 month.

Im a believer in that injuries need to run their course whatever time frame that may be no matter what we do to help the injury.

We can make the injuries worse like I do through impatience  and slightly better through PT etc.

Im not stretching or rolling my calf as my Physio mentioned it can do more damage while the calf is healing.

My week is done on 35kms with a 10 km easy run today. Calf was good. I did a steep 5km walk with my wife yesterday which I can feel in my shins 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There’s a lot to be said regarding taking injuries cautiously, but up to a point. I think I’ve said this before, but if I stopped running every time I said “uh oh, I think something is wrong” I would basically take time off at least once a month. This year alone, I had foot issues in January, a weird quad issue in April (resurfacing in the summer), a hamstring niggle that lasted the majority of my final weeks of marathon training, and finally this new foot injury.

I do think you need a system though. For me, here is how I evaluate injuries:

1) Does it hurt when I’m running? If no, then definitely run on it. This is a simple piece of advice I got from a doctor when I had a bunch of stuff that hurt a lot walking around the house or at work, but didn’t hurt while running

2) If it does bother you when running, what level is it at? I would say the vast majority of things I run through are a level 1 out of 10 on the pain scale, which is “hmm something feels off and this is annoying, but not really ‘painful’ per se.” This is where my foot is at right now, and where my hamstring and quad were most of the time. You know something is off, but you’re not running through a high level of pain

3) If the pain goes above this level, to the point where you’re saying “this is painful” or you need to alter your gait, then you need to stop running. My foot was at this level a week before the marathon, but obviously I wasn’t giving up at that point. In any other normal situation, I would have stopped. I would say my foot also hurts this much just walking around without shoes on. If my foot hurt as much running as it does when I’m just walking around, I would not be running

4) Finally, after any cycle, it’s important to take time off if you have an injury. 1 week off (or even 2 weeks) will have almost no impact on your next cycle. It’s much better to be conservative at this point and just give your injuries a chance to heal.

Hope that’s helpful for those going through injuries, not that I’m an expert or anything but I’ve had a ton of experience over the past 4-5 years of running that’s helped me a lot. A clear situation where you need to learn your body though, as one person’s level 2 or 3 pain might be someone else’s 6. But this was a way for me to learn when I can run through something, because the basic advice of “rest and heal” when anything hurts is too conservative for people that are trying to take this sport seriously.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - glad that the calf is feeling better!

JMac - yeah I pretty much agree re injuries and whether or not to run.  I've had minor niggles that were more "this doesn't quite feel right" that I've run through - they weren't actually particularly sore though.  Often I will have little tight spots that disappear once I've warmed up too.  And totally agree re time off after a marathon - not doing this was my big mistake around this time last year.

Me - I had an OK week, but that race definitely took it out of me a bit.  Thursday was pretty meh and Saturday was a bit of a slog too.  Felt better again today and included a couple of tempo blocks in my LR, although I was pretty tired by the end.  Having said that this is after 3 of my biggest weeks all year so nice and easy this week before the Omaha Half on Sunday (my 8th and last half for the year!).

M: weights

T: 10.3km incl. a few sprints

W: 7.5km incl. Corporate Challenge 5km (16:24)

Th: 14.6km incl. moderate efforts

F: day off

S: 12.4km easy-ish

S: 21.5km incl. 2x15 min @~HMP

Total: 66.3km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - I was thinking about this during my run the other day (yes, we all think about weird stuff during runs, including me thinking about how cool the Piwi/Mikkey showdown will be in April if Piwi can stay healthy): once you reach a plateau where you can’t PR at the half anymore, do you think you’ll go to the mileage well? I know you don’t want to really run a marathon again, but I was wondering if you’d be willing to up your KM to something like averaging 100KM for an 18 week half marathon cycle in order to really see your potential.

Jmac yes I like your injury guide. I feel a long way off anything resembling a sub 3 marathoner but hopefully a solid cycle and years of running mileage even if up and down will get me there.

Mark good to hear your energy was better today. Pretty snotty weather here solid rain etc but I pretty much dodged it on my run.

I did go into Rebel Sports to buy my marathon shorts for next year. Got some with 2 decent front pockets for gels.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark/Corey - once again great job. A PR is a sweet moment.

Marco - hang in there! I read Belfast marathon and pictured you running in a rain coat.

me - 50 something kilometres this past week, ending with a 3K race today + 3 hours of functional training.

I’m really happy with the results.

10:55 for 2nd over all and finally an overall podium picture, after 8 years of running.

No much of a race report besides none of the fast pants showed up, so before the mile I had already passed all the bros and couldn’t even think of passing the leader (he’s got a sub 10 PR). I actually slowed it down a bit in the end so I could high five the clowns that were cheering everybody.

All in all I ran very close to a 3K PR, and to 5K PR pace. Considering I’m at least 5Kg out of shape and Jmac points were in the high 60s, this race proves I have had a breakthrough in either strength or cardio.

And I even beat Captain America, who was 3rd over all (LOL at those guys, Spider man, Cap America,

Wonder Woman, I need to do this sometime).

My last PR was in April 2016, so I guess I'm approaching another one (finally) next year.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Corey - congrats on the race - 8k is kind of a strange distance but I guess it's basically 5 miles?  Anyway definitely good signs for beating your 5k PR and that is a cool tradition to have with your son too.  I go for a run every Xmas day  - even before I was a runner - except last year when my ITB was giving me trouble.

Flavio - congrats on the race and beating a superhero!!

Piwi - it was pretty miserable up here too.  But new gear is always good (I hope you didn't pay full price at Rebel Sport haha).

JMac - it's funny you ask this because the other day while running I was trying to figure how quick your HM time might be under the right conditions now!  Most likely I'll be better placed to answer this after Waterfront in April because I think for me it's been consistent mileage builds, without sacrificing quality, that has done the trick.  I had a very good block through the middle of the year (~80km/week) that got me that PB in Dunedin and if I can stick around there or a bit higher over summer then Waterfront next year will give me a really good sense of whether it's working (since it's the same course).

Most likely I'll look to do Kerikeri HM in November next year as well, it tends to attract a very good field and is quite a fast course so I've got the opportunity to play around with my training over winter next year too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good to hear about the calf piwi.

Mine has been behaving itself and I'm back into close to my usual load, albeit with no speed.  I've been a bit lethargic in some runs lately, even with so-called summer reverting back to winter.  I've 90% decided not to do another race this year but I'll see if I suddenly have a change of mind this week.  I had a chat with the girlfriend over the weekend and I hadn't realised her schedule means a holiday I had been planning for June might have to happen in late April instead...this will rule out Christchurch as a target race leaving...the Waterfront Half in Auckland, which I had planned to never do again after what happened this year.  I might face my demons again after all...

My Week:

Monday              70 mins easy.  14.98km @ 4:45mins/km

Tuesday             Weights

Wednesday        70 mins easy 14.59km @ 4:53mins/km

Thursday            60 mins easy 12.50km @ 5:02mins/km

Friday                 Weights

Saturday             90 mins easy 19.23km @ 4:49mins/km

Sunday               Weights

Monday and Thursday felt great and very easy.  Wednesday and Saturday felt like I was running on sand.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - nice week and good that you could log some solid mileage again.  There is always the Huntly Half which I think is now in late May.  Tends to attract a reasonable field and a few very quick runners as there is a bit of history behind it (it used to be a seriously elite race back in the day).  But not as easy for you to get to as Waterfront.  And Watefront is a really fast course as long as conditions are good.

There's a few races I've sworn I'll never go back to (Queenstown and Hawkes Bay) but to be honest one thing I enjoyed about Taupo this year was beating a few of the demons from 2 years prior (one of only 3 occasions where I've seriously considered pulling the pin... utterly miserable weather, and I think the fastest part of the race for me was the dash for the bathroom after I got over the finish line, had a seriously dodgy stomach for the last 5km.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac hope your foot get better soon so you can get back at it.

Flavio nice race results nice week too.

Steve glad you calf is behaving and a nice week.

I ran an 8k race on Thanksgiving which is always fun to do with my son and I had a good result as well.

I ended up putting off my long run yesterday to today and managed to get in a little over 14.5 it was a struggle though I think due to lack of fueling properly I didn't eat well Saturday night and didn't have much other than some coffee this morning, so just after I started running I was getting hungry and had very little energy.  Need to figure out what I am going to eat during the final week before the marathon.

only 2 weeks left! Will target about 30 miles again this week and 15-20 then following week leading into the marathon.

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Nov 19, 2018 thru Sunday, Nov 25, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Tue 3.0 8:48 Evening Run strava
                          Thu 4.9 6:40 Spartanburg Turkey Day 8k strava
                          Fri 3.5 8:57 Morning Run strava
                          Fri 3.2 9:03 Lunch Run strava
                          Sat 2.0 8:45 Afternoon Run strava
                          Sun 14.6 8:38 Afternoon Run strava
                            31.2 8:26  

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Corey -  Nice week, and that's a very handy 8km time.

Mark - If I can get a clean run of training through summer until the Waterfront race, I should be safe to avoid another disaster.  Can I put my request in now for cloud cover, cool and no wind?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Corey its always good to be reminded about fuelling even if that run sucked. I hate been hungry on a run. I start dreaming of food....

Mark speaking of a half I will need something next year before my marathon as a fitness test. I havent found anything yet. I may have to time trial it.

Rebel had 30% off shop wide which made it reasonable.

Steve good to hear of your calf behaving. Mine seems fine running but after a 80 min drive to work today was a bit stiff and sore when I got out of my van. Only lasted 30 secs or so but a reminder that Im not quite out of danger yet.

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - Can't hurt to ask...

Piwi - not a lot of half marathon options in Feb/March.  Coatesville is Feb 10 but that is a hilly course and will be even tougher if it's a hot day.  There's a new half marathon at Maraetai (just SE of Auckland) in mid-March.  I know the area fairly well (my grandparents used to live there) and it should be a nice, relatively quick course with just one hill.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"