Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I'm laughing way more than I should right now 

Piwi calls him Goldfinger - I hope he never find out he's actually Goldfist Big grin

Also Piwi always brings the fun. From stories of runners interrupted by a crossing train in a race, races in someone's backyard, a nudist guy wanting to shake his hand and now this bald headed gold finger/fist.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - I have cyber stalked you by using the little man in google maps to see where you run. It's beautiful country side out there. No cars in sight and I'm guessing fresh air? I'm jealous!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As usual, you guys are out of control   although absolutely hilarious to wake up to.

I have also stalked Keen using Google Maps street view. It's cow (hawk?) country out there, I'm jealous too, although absolutely zero people watching can't be fun. The healthy air though probably makes up for it. The amount of soot we breathe in in NYC is really scary. If it snows here, the snow turns black within 2 days because of it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - I'm definitely a chess nerd. Between family and running I haven't had the time to play any over-the-board games with a club, let alone a tournament, for years. All my chess playing has been via chess.com - primarily against a math teacher across the country I've been playing consistently for probably 7 years.

JMac - Good points. I do think getting a race in every once in a while is important just to keep touch with what it feels like to race - this is something I honestly haven't done well at all.
          I can always go in to town and hit up one of the more popular running routes if I really want to people watch!

Flavio - It really is great country out here with great air and scenery, though I think the views (particularly at night) are somewhat spoiled by wind turbines a bit over 15 miles/25k west. I only saw 3 vehicles on my run this morning, all crossing my road and none passing closer than ~1k. I've run over 25k out here before without seeing anyone else out. I always feel especially thankful for where I'm at when people start talking about Air Quality Index, or having to spend a week+ on a treadmill because of wildfires (currently burning in California) making it unsafe to be outside at all, let alone run.

If anyone happens to play chess on chess.com and wants to get a friendly correspondence game going my username there is CommanderKeen.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Flavio I may be a nerd too....im up to level 3819 on candy crush.

I stalk Keen too. His runs are too perfectly straight !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio I may be a nerd too....im up to level 3819 on candy crush.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Am I the only one who reckons wind turbines actually look pretty cool??

Piwi - I was a total nerd in high school.  Chess, debating, all that kinda stuff.  I played cricket though and even played basketball one year (I was pretty average at it but I did once hit a 3-pointer with 3 seconds to go to tie the game and we didn't play OT!).

Keen - I might have to investigate chess.com.  I'm way out of touch but would be good to get playing again.

Steve- Tamaki Drive is a great barometer for running activity.  Through winter, I might see 2 people out early when I run and they're both runners I know.  Come October, not uncommon to see 15+ ahead of the marathon!  I did notice when I was out running mid-morning while wifey was away that the mid-morning running demographic was totally different to the early crew.

JMac - yeah by the time this year is done it will be 8 HM's, 2 10k's (3 if I count road relay champs), a 5k and a 5000m.  Next year is set till April with the HM series (Feb, Mar, Apr) but then I'll look to do a mid-year race (Chch in June or something in Australia in July/August), Auckland in October and Kerikeri in November.  The toughest thing is actually hitting the training groove in between races, allowing for taper and post-race recovery.  When there's only a month between races, it means you've really only got 2 weeks training allowing for a taper week and a recovery week.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - I used to like the look of the turbines when they were first installed in my area, and they make a really cool whoooOOOMPH sound when you're directly under the blades. But over the years that has really changed. There's nothing quite like running at night or in the early morning when it's completely dark and having your view of a great expanse of terrain that's completely devoid of lights and signs of civilization ruined by dozens of bright red lights on the horizon blinking off and on in unison.

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Chess - Would be cool if Keen and Mark had a little chess showdown, we could live stream it! Piwi, Flavio, and I would just sit there with obnoxious comments, while MJ would come in and one up us all.

Mark - That's a lot of races, no idea how you do it. I agree regarding the mini-taper. I guess if you're running 5Ks you can do it more easily, but then you also still miss out on a good workout that day. Some people just throw miles in after their race, but I can't see how doing a 5K, then a 10 minute break, then doing like 20K after is anywhere like doing a real long run. I think in a standard 18 week build up for a race, 2 races during it are probably appropriate, although maybe 3 could be squeezed in. I like one race at the start of the cycle to see where I'm starting at, one in the middle for progress report / check in, and then one near the end as a final fitness test. I tend to couple my races with my down weeks, which allows me to both mini taper into a race and get some rest during a cycle. So, for example, my buildup post marathon will look like this

0, 14, 37, 47, 65, 68, 70, 72.

Although I was doing 65-70 pretty consistently, that's still something I would want to take a step-down week after, as I'm jumping up mileage consistently with some workouts starting in the 68 mile week. So I'll do a 55-60 down week and race that 10K with it.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

A chess match vs Mark would be great, because unlike in running I'd have a chance to beat him!

Geez, coming up with my own marathon plan is tough. Daniels 2Q starts off immediately with M and T work (with monstrous workouts) and skips Rep work altogether. Maybe I should just modify the workouts from my existing plan to reflect more mileage during the quality sessions, bringing them more in line with recommendations for the mileage I'll probably be running. 

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - are you looking at the 71-85 plan? It's definitely rough, and I think you're going to find the workouts a lot harder than what you were doing because he tends to put all the easy miles before tempo work, where you had it after the tempo work. If I were you, I'd honestly do the 56-70 plan even if you're doing 70+ because you'll find it more challenging than what you just completed imo. If you find it too easy (which, nobody ever doing this plan has said), you can switch over to the 71-85 plan, or modify to be something in between. I'm skipping his first Q day myself, there is a zero percent chance I could do 6M + 1T + 5M on day 1 of my marathon training. Maybe if that was an E mile instead of a T mile, which is what the 56-70 plan has.

Marky_Mark_17

A chess match vs Mark would be great, because unlike in running I'd have a chance to beat him!

Geez, coming up with my own marathon plan is tough. Daniels 2Q starts off immediately with M and T work (with monstrous workouts) and skips Rep work altogether. Maybe I should just modify the workouts from my existing plan to reflect more mileage during the quality sessions, bringing them more in line with recommendations for the mileage I'll probably be running. 

OK Keen, you're on.  I'm pretty rusty but there's only one way to get better.  I just created an account on Chess.com  - "GhoulWrangler".

Weather is looking a bit meh for Sunday's half at Omaha.  17-18 at race start and humid, with a potentially strong NE which will make the beach section misery.  Fortunately there might be some showers which will take the edge off the humidity.  It's not a quick course despite being quite flat but I'd be happy with 1:18-1:19.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - 71-85 was the first one I looked at (3rd edition of the book). Definitely rough when the first workout is 18 miles long with 11M and 1T in there. 56-70 looks much more doable, but there's still no R or I work at all, which I'd like to do. Right now I think I'll probably end up blending my last plan with 56-70.

Mark - Game on! I sent you a friend request and a correspondence challenge (3 days/move), which should randomly assign colors.

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I was a chess player back in the day too...would be very rusty.  I joined the team at intermediate school to get a day off for the tournament.  I tried the 4 move checkmate in my first match and it actually worked.  Oh the glory, of saying checkmate after 30 seconds and having the whole hall hear it, beats anything I ever did on the sports field!

I started to take on my teacher during school hours and I'd keep beating him so he'd make it best of 3, best of 5...it was great, I'd get so much time off while the class worked.  Unfortunately he got better and started beating me and my requests for best of 3 etc were ignored.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

You guys are having a chess showdown ?

You are so badass 

Keen Mark sounds too confident. Be careful hes probably some sort of freakishly good chess player too.

My calf muscle played up again yesterday. Ive been not feeling anything with it the last few days and running slow flat 6 milers but yesterday it started to ache halfway into an 11km run. Its a bit tight and sore after Ive been sitting and then standup but then loosens up after a few minutes. Anyway back to a few days off. Marathon cycle starts in about 11 days. I feel fit enough to go straight into 80kms per week as long as my calf can cope.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "