Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - I enjoy running races that allow me to accentuate the pain once I'm in the cave. Currently, I'm planning on running CIM next winter which will allow to me finally run an easier marathon! I also agree with your question, where is MJ?

Keen - I'm telling you, just following the 56-70 plan. There are a few components of it that are more difficult than how you just trained: easy miles before T work, and also MUCH more T work. I feel like most of your stuff was mile repeats, or 2x2, right? The 2Q plan will have you doing more 4x2 work, or 2x2 followed by E followed by 2x2. Brutal stuff. I would also question why you want to do R work so much (I mean that in a friendly way). The only point of it is to get leg turnover up right? The same thing can be accomplished with strides.  Stick with 56-70 workouts and reap the rewards.

Piwi - That's awesome with the waves. Also, you were commenting all over Strava at 1 am local time. Were you out drinking on a Friday night? 

Steve - Awesome video (and hair).

Mark - yeah the problem is it's rolling hills at the end of the race. It's all Central Park so I know the hills well, and I'm not looking forward to doing them after 11 miles of HMP. Plus, the problem is the race runs North, which is where the wind is usually coming from that time of year. We'll see when we get to the date with the weather as well. It's the middle of March in NYC, which means it can be 15 degrees or 45 degrees, plus potential snow/rain/ice.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I was looking at a couple early R sessions (or combo T+ R) just to work on a bit of turnover before diving in to what will essentially be four months of T sessions. So far most of what I've put down (4 weeks so far) is T, though there is a healthy dose of M and one I session - basically all either from 56-70, the workout-specific sections earlier in the book, or my last plan (with longer T sections and longer warm-ups). I may just go after what's in the book just for the sake of simplicity!

Very odd, almost treadmill-like run on the roads today. The fog was so heavy that I couldn't even see 6'/2M ahead of me, so all I had was this weird view of a tiny patch of ground moving underneath my feet until I was within 2 miles from the house.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Now I got it! You're trying to get this in before the full plan. Makes total sense. He has a section earlier in the book that details all of the R pace workouts. Personally, I would just do 200 meter repeats to start, capping them at a total distance of 5 percent of weekly mileage. Maybe something like 20x200 to start. Then you can do 10x400 your next workout, which is tough, and then increase the number of reps and stay at 400 meter repeats. Do that with 4-6 mile warm up (want to warm up extra for fast reps) and then a 2 mile cool down. That's a good 12ish mile workout

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac yeah I had a big night 2 beers and bed at 9pm 

Woke up and couldnt sleep so got up for a midnight feed and to play candycrush. I know its a hardcore lifestyle i lead 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac yeah I had a big night 2 beers and bed at 9pm 

Woke up and couldnt sleep so got up for a midnight feed and to play candycrush. I know its a hardcore lifestyle i lead 

Your candy crush efforts are impressive. You should include it in your sig line.

I've definitely found myself going to bed earlier and earlier, especially when I'm deep into marathon training. My bed time was 4:30 am in college, and slowly moved down. Probably early 20s was around 12:30-1:30, now it's 10:30. I assume I will be asleep by 7 PM by the time I retire.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Because I don't have the time (how is 16 weeks not enough time?? lol) to get in a couple weeks of rep works before mostly M and T workouts, I'm thinking of the first two weeks having one R session and one T session, then blended R+T workouts the third week and maybe one such workout to start week 4 before leaving the R stuff behind entirely.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I can actually survive on less sleep now than when I was younger, although I still prefer not.

Went for a 90 minute run today, with a plan to end it as soon as I felt a niggle like I did on Thursday but it never came.  Felt pretty good and fit, and was surprised just how easy 4:45min/km pace felt.

I'm officially in for the Waterfront again.  I'm going to stay at the same place and get similar flights but apart from that I'm looking at how I can do everything completely opposite to this year.  I'm not doing the race next weekend with the niggles around - I could probably get about 1:32-33 at current fitness levels but not worth another injury.  I'll look at my schedule for the next 4 months and work out where I can slip a 5km race or 2 in.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - nice. I’m looking forward to Waterfront. I run around that area so much that it’s actually a nice change to race along there. Up until Dunedin this year, every race I’d flown to had been a disaster so hopefully that curse-breaker is also contagious through the forum.

Piwi - you are the ultimate badass

Keen - I love running in fog but if it was that thick it would freak me out a bit!

Me - our airbnb in Omaha is awesome. The start line is 100m one way, and the finish line is 50m the other way. It’s a shame the weather has been rubbish because it would’ve been a great beach weekend. There will be a bit of wind and humidity to deal with tomorrow but hopefully some rain too. Brad Luiten is racing but no idea who else might show up.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good luck Mark - is this the first of the series?  Is Brad the guy who was looking likely last year until injuries?

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Cheers Steve - this is the second race of five (Devonport was first). Brad isn’t doing the whole series this year, just this race and maybe one or two others but yeah he was leading last season until he copped it from overtraining. I know JMac thinks I’m a frequent racer but since the start of Sept Brad’s done the North Shore Marathon, National Road Relays (I’m on his club team!), Auckland Marathon and Kerikeri Half Marathon a couple weeks ago. I have no idea how he manages but I also suspect that volume is exactly the reason why he can’t hit the same HM times he used to (he did a 1:11 at Kerikeri a few years ago and was routinely around the 1:14 mark).

This is the race where I figure out who I’ll have to contend with for the series because a lot of people do Devonport as a one-off. I think the weather will probably make for a slightly lower turnout tomorrow.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark good luck its been a stormy weekend for sure but hopefully the worst passes tonight. Thats a great location for your bnb.

Steve sounds very promising that your injury is behind you. I was sweet mon and tues on 10km runs but halfway through wed 11km run my calf started aching. Good call on the no race. Wait untill you have uninterupted training behind you.

Piwi: Eating (crap) in the middle of the night and playing video games - sounds like me when I was in uni. Smile

Hope your race goes/went well @ Mark!

Me: the last few weeks have been around 3 runs per week for a total of 30-40k at a decent clip. I am running with our IT folks and they are fast. So I am doing zero easy pace runs at the moment because I started a new job and its the super hectic phase of the year where I would start at 8am and leave at 10pm. I am super busy but loving it. Should get less crazy once I am up to speed with the complex procedures- sometime by next year. Thats probably why you dont get to read as many stupid posts here. Anyways everyone is doing a lot of good work; I envy you! Cfarr good luck with the upcoming race!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Congrats Mark on first place in what sounds like tough conditions.

16 seconds ahead of Brad, looking forward to the RR on that battle.

2024 Races:

Mark amazing way to finish the year and what a year it was.

Mick haha true that I havent come far from my younger days ! The crap food was a bit of yogurt 

Ive been asleep for an hour when you leave work 

Another low week for me around 40kms while I wait for my calf to heal. Today pulled the pin at 3.5kms and walked home. Doing some leg strength and core strength stuff as well. Also a solid elevation walk with my wife. Just trying to stay busy.

Marky_Mark_17

Hey guys, cheers very much for the support, I was stoked to get the first place, had to really work for it though as conditions were challenging and that course always keeps you working... plus Brad was breathing down my neck the last few km's!  Will try and do a RR tomorrow.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"