Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - “yawn yawn and I’m out”  haha excellent.

Mark - awesome that you know your competitors by name. To me they’re all Afro-guy, skinny guy in pink, etc.

I’m also impressed by the lady riding the scooter while barefoot.

Tell that 80’s guy that he needs a ‘stache to go with the headband.

MJ - in my experience AirBnb is still a better deal even if only marginally cheaper than a hotel cause you have more space, common areas and some very important things such as a laundry machine and kitchenware.

Jmac - No miles accrued. My credit card company does not have a good mileage system and I actually didn’t buy most of the tickets.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - No miles accrued. My credit card company does not have a good mileage system and I actually didn’t buy most of the tickets.

Even if your company pays, you didn't get frequent flier points with whatever airline you flew with? I have no idea what the national airline of Brazil is.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

No, no frequent flyer, it was through several different airlines. And it was actually just 2 trips, I'm not on Marco's level of traveling heh.

Speaking of which: just got the frequent flyer catalogue and they have the garmin forerunner 235 for 75k miles. And I am pretty sure I will have about 70k miles or so in my account Smile So maybe next year Smile

@Flavio: even though I run with the IT/programming folks I am not nearly as clever enough to do their/your type of job. I am in sales and do okish there Smile I am not even fast enough to run with them, but I think they feel sorry for me and are actually happy to have someone from sales join them. Two birds, one stone: I am getting faster as a result and get all my programming requests done with priority Big grin

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - thanks, it is actually great to be playing again and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it.  I was dead worried I was gonna trip myself up in the endgame!

JMac/Flavio - yeah I got up to Elite status with Air NZ last year... around 80% of that was off domestic flights for one work client!  I won't do that again this year, but should be able to hold on to Gold status.  I thought the person flying was normally the one that accrued the points irrespective of who paid for the flight?

JMac - I like the rule amendment.  I'd be OK if that was my only HM win... it's really nice to get one but normally I'm more focused on running my best race and the places will be what they will be.  It's always luck as to who turns up anyway and if I had to choose between running a PB and winning a race I would choose the PB 10 times out of 10 (admittedly Omaha is definitely not a PB course though, even if it was in September).

MJ - I got two bananas?  Although I had to give one to my daughter.  As for the AirBnB... Omaha is basically a very nice beach only an hours drive from Auckland (NZ's biggest city) and the starting price there for houses is probably around $1.5m.  So... definitely no cheap accommodation!

Me - man that was one tough recovery jog this morning.  I'm more sore after running a 1:19 than I was after running a 1:15!  Don't think it's anything serious though, the calves are a bit tight, as is my left hammy.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

MJ - the FR235 is a great watch.  I ran with one for 2 years and loved it.  The only reason I switched was because I really liked the look of the Fenix 5S and so I decided if I ran sub-3 in my marathon that'd be my reward.  I actually found the 235 to probably be a little more reliable though, both are good watches but I've had a few errant HR blips on the 5S that almost never happened with the 235, and I thought the GPS on the 235 was marginally better too (which makes no sense considering the 5S is designed for trail running etc. too).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Important:  It's December so we need to elect a Thread Boss for 2019!

It's not a big ask, you just need to start the thread, maintain the race table in the first post, and keep the banter flowing.  The more active members we can get the better.  This year has been pretty good with a lot of chatter and discussion - as of today we're up to page 181, and the sub-3 marathon thread which has a lot more members still hasn't gotten to page 100!  And surely that can't all be down to my overly long-winded race reports either 

Although a couple of regular members kinda faded away (BlairJB and Jaimegu) we got a few new faces too, particularly Corey and Marco who have been pretty consistent posters.

Watson, Flavio and Piwi are all previous Thread Bosses so it would be good if someone new wanted to give it a crack.

If anyone would like to nominate someone else, or themselves, now is the time!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ - Oh, you’re in sales. Friendship deleted haha!

+1 on the FR 235 being a great watch. I only switched to the 645 cause that one has WIFI synchronization which is awesome. It connects to the wifi network and ups the run to Garmin Connect, no need to turn bluetooth on.

Mark - I vote Jmac. I bet even the thread title will be complaining about the weather 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I think JMac too - it's a Sub 1:30 HM thread and he did 2 consecutively in New York so he's best qualified!

And...*cough* I was a new face this year too.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Oh s%$t sorry Steve, I think you've just been such a consistent poster and banter-er that I forgot you joined this year and just kinda assumed you'd always been here!!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Im considering an FR235 for xmas although I might try for 2nd hand at closer to NZ $200.

My biggest want is large data fields that my old man eyes can see. How is the 235 in this regard ?

Jmac I won a Parkrun this year do they count as races 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

So, Flavio is in IT/programming, MJ is in sales, and I'm in the middle as a "sales engineer" who helps the sales guys make sure they're selling the stuff the actual IT guys need. Maybe we can start our own company one of these days.

Mark - You played the ending quite well, actually. Hopefully I'll put up more of a fight this time.

Flavio - Wifi sync is, indeed, awesome!

Piwi - You can change how many fields are displayed on a single screen on the FR235 (and most all other Garmins), from 1-4, with the obvious increases in real estate available to a single field when fewer are used.

Daniels aficionados - A new Daniels spreadsheet is out!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark  - all is forgiven.

CK -  I'm in software development too, we could create quite a company.  Now we just need an idea.  What running apps do we wish existed but don't?

2024 Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac I won a Parkrun this year do they count as races 

Of course, that's why you wrote a race report!

Although my focus is on marathons again next year, I guess I can take this over as the thread boss. Please note that there will be some NEW RULES NEXT YEAR AS PART OF MY DICTATORSHIP. THE NEW BOSS WILL NOT BE THE SAME AS THE OLD BOSS:

- No more reporting in KM or Celsius. Americans don't understand what that means, and our education is so broken we can't do the math. You will submit to our much more cumbersome, illogical, and outright dumb system of miles and Fahrenheit.

- Dew Points are officially replaced with Kiwi Points. Any KP over 70 degrees can be complained about incessantly. Any TKP (temperature plus Kiwi Point) of under 130 shall never be referred to as "hot" again. Any temperature above freezing shall never be referred to as "cold" again either.

- 1 person next year must race in a costume. It can be a clown suit, T-Rex costume, or pink unicorn, I don't care. I preliminary nominate MJ for this task since he is the biggest  in the group.

- If Mark breaks 1:15 next year, he gets the silent treatment from us. Nobody congratulates him, we just ask "what could you have done differently in training to do better?"

- If I break 1:15 next year in a miracle that could rival anything told about Christmas, you shall all bow down to me and declare that yes, I really deserve to be your overlord.

- Flavio must run a race every 3 months, because this thread wouldn't be the same without his race reports. If he doesn't run a race every 3 months, he must walk around his town all day day and write a walk report, because I imagine it would be just as hilarious.

- Calf injuries are outlawed next year. Don't think about them, don't talk about them.

If you all agree with these rules, I am happy to be your new thread leader 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I can submit to these rules except the miles and fahrenheit - who are you, "literally Hitler"??

2024 Races: