Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Fahrenheit is Dutch, not Austrian/German! 
    Maybe we could come up with an app that automatically inserts appropriate emojis into Strava run titles based upon TKP (temperature plus Kiwi Point)?

I, for one, welcome our new Central Park-looping overlord!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

I can submit to these rules except the miles and fahrenheit

+1

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

And on the business thing... given I'm a financial analyst, I'll presumably be the one that finds us some cash and then reminds you all that we actually do need a return on investment and you can't just blow it all on cool stuff, thereby probably becoming the least popular member of the team.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I can run any cabling through tight cavities for you....

Jmac I bow to your leadership. I can do miles. Farenheit will need homework. Im semi American and reside in Oklahoma on NBA days anyway.

Keen 2 datafields will likely be big enough for my aging eyes. Now just to find a 230 or 235 cheap enough. I can live without heatrate or is that a confliction in terms 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Keen 2 datafields will likely be big enough for my aging eyes. Now just to find a 230 or 235 cheap enough. I can live without heatrate or is that a confliction in terms 

Piwi - you can set up multiple screens anyway i.e. you could have 2 or 3 or 4 screens with 2 (or 3 or 4) different fields each.  It's pretty easy to customise.  I have my default screen with time, HR, distance and avg. pace but a few other screens as well.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - Why did you edit all of your posts going back in this thread? I was looking for some good content from you and it's all gone! The new boss in 2019 will not like this behavior 

Keen - I forgot one of the more important rules!

- There will be a competition of who can run the most sides of a figure. Currently, Keen is our leader with his never ending quadrilaterals. I expect someone to reach a decagon by the end of 2019.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I actually used to have a pretty good pentagon gig going down in Takapuna, perhaps I will dig that out.

Speaking of which, I was thinking some forum awards could be in store for the end of the year.

I was going to make it democratic but maybe I'll just choose them all myself and go down in a blaze of glory / hail of bullets in my last official act as Thread Boss.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi said:

I can run any cabling through tight cavities for you....

I think you're confusing us with the Colonoscopy department.

Re: the FR 235 it has a big enough screen and you can set it up as you like. Heart rate is as good as the 645, very consistent. And bluetooth syncing so you don't need to plug it to a computer to sync.

Jmac - You try to push the archaic system on us and we'll send you on a one way ticket to New Zealand for metrification. You will have to dodge sheep on your daily runs as punishment!

Also good luck finding your way back since NZ is not on the map.

Oh, the edited posts, so this one night I was sleepless and had to kill some time so I started cleaning up posts. I live that wild life style, same as Piwi.

re: the geometric figures, I think I can pull of an Elephant one of these days.

Mark - go ahead! Democracy is overrated!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Commander Keen said:

I, for one, welcome our new Central Park-looping overlord!

well done

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

OK, think I figured my race schedule for next year.  Maybe this is a little OTT but I kinda like having a plan.  Keen to get everyone's thoughts?

With 3-4 goal races - and a max of 5 if I give Maraetai a crack - it feels a bit better than this year where I went more or less all out in 7 of the 8 halves I did.  The one slightly annoying thing is that there actually aren't that many half marathons between ~May and September which is my favourite time for racing, and some of them I've already ruled out (Taupo - already done it twice, Wellington - too much risk of wind).

Note: Any comments regarding the absence of a full marathon or similar will automatically be ignored.

Goal races:

Waterfront HM / Apr 14 - half marathon series final race.  Potential PB attempt if training goes well and the weather pans out

Christchurch HM / Jun 2 - fast course as well.  Tends to get a really strong field.

POSSIBLE: Mount Maunganui HM / Aug 24 - will likely do this but just holding to see if I feel like doing Auckland / NZ Road Race Champs 10k again.  Potential to run Dunedin as an alternative which is a couple weeks later.

Kerikeri HM / mid-Nov - quick course and tends to be a pretty strong field

Other races:

Coatesville HM / Feb 10 - only because it's Half Marathon Series Race 3.  Will just cruise it.

Maraetai HM / Mar 17 - Half Marathon Series Race 4.  Might give this a nudge to test fitness before Waterfront - similar deal worked OK last year.  Will see how I go.

Auckland HM / Oct 20 - because I can't not do it (also I bought a super-early bird ticket and I'm only two half marathons away from getting a permanent number)

Based on the current standings for the Half Marathon Series, I've also got the luxury of not really having to push too hard in all of the remaining races (Coatesville / Maraetai / Auckland) because the series field isn't as deep this year without Brad and Chris (the next two guys have been 5+ minutes slower than me in both races so far).  This is good because it means I can just get some solid training over summer (even though I dislike summer) and focus on building towards Waterfront.  Omaha was a big reminder how much I dislike racing in hot conditions, and the series race in Feb this year was even worse.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Note: Any comments regarding the absence of a full marathon or similar will automatically be ignored.

But...That's my job!!! Anyway, here are my thoughts:

What do you want out of next year? That's the only way we can truly answer whether your race schedule is appropriate. If it's to reach your max potential, I think you're racing too much. If it's to win the series, then I think you're doing great.

I am of the strong opinion that you need to race just enough to stay in tune with what racing feels like, but that's it. I often will go months without racing, or if I enter a race, it will be done as a workout (e.g. a HM at MP).

If you're truly trying to peak for a half, think about what a half does in the middle of your schedule. It requires you to mini-taper, which ruins a few days of running. Then, the race itself takes away time when you could have done a quality day. Then you need to reverse taper out of it. All in all, even for a non-peak race, you lose 7 days of quality training.

If you're truly looking to hit your potential next year, I would think 3 HM would be the right number, with 2-4 10Ks or less in it. Running 7 half marathons in a year will not allow you to reach max potential.

Now, you may say that you enjoy racing more and don't want to sacrifice it. That's completely okay and then your schedule looks great. 7 HMPs is not outrageous, and you may only be sacrificing a minute overall in your potential. However, I think overall us amateurs race too frequently and could do so much better by continuing to train.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Interesting thoughts JMac... goal is less racing, better times, basically.

Yes there are 7-8 races in there albeit I will definitely use at least 3 as B races/workouts.

The interesting thing I observed this year - which I think lines up with what you're saying - was that I generally needed a race to get myself race-sharp.  I had a good race/PB at Coatesville and then a better race/PB at Waterfront 3 weeks later.  Had basically 4 months training going into Taupo, which I was a little disappointed with, but then had my best race ever in Dunedin 5 weeks later (with some 10km races in between too).

In fact, now I think about it, every single time I've hit a PB in the HM, I've had a race in the ~4 weeks prior and more often than not, the first race after a long period of no racing has been a bit of a disappointment.

So my thinking is that:

• Maraetai (B race) gets me race-sharp for Waterfront (goal race) and then it's not that long after that until Christchurch (goal race)
                          • Then there's almost 3 months of solid training before Mt. Maunganui (and most likely Auckland Road Race Champs 10km will be 1-2 weeks before that, which is an ideal sharpener)
                          • Then there's another ~4 months before Kerikeri (and having Auckland as a B race ~1 month prior will hopefully sharpen me up)

The key will be discpline around those B races and not smashing myself.  And not chucking extra races in just because.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think that's right. You can't just do a 4 month build up with zero races and expect to run your best. I do think you need tune up races 4-6 weeks before your goal race. However, I think you would be better served with 10Ks because they require less tapering and do less damage to your body. I know you recover exceptionally well, but that underlying damage exists whether you feel it or not.

However, if you want to complete this HM series, than go for it. Just make sure that you only half taper into those tune up races (I usually do a big workout on Wednesday, as if I didn't have a race upcoming, then a recovery run Thursday, off day Friday, recovery run Saturday, race Sunday).

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

With 4 'A' races I think it looks pretty good, given that you seem to be able to handle it without getting injured.  As long as you stick to treating the B races as workouts I see a PB, probably in Christchurch, perhaps depending on weather conditions.  If you can handle the cold, it's perfect for a PB.  It's returning to the town hall base, now that the town hall has almost been repaired, so it would be great if the course reverted back to pre-earthquake when you head east around the river first then finish with a lap of north Hagley then the last km back into the town hall rather than vice versa.

Interesting comments about needing a race to stay sharp.  My PB came after a full year of training, without a single race.  This time round, it will be 8 months between races although I might throw in a park run or 2.

I'd like to be doing ChCh next year but with a holiday for 3-4 weeks finishing 2-3 weeks before the race I may struggle.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I'd like to be doing ChCh next year but with a holiday for 3-4 weeks finishing 2-3 weeks before the race I may struggle.

I assume this means it is not a holiday where there is significant opportunity for running!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"