Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

The race yesterday was 9:30am, way too late at this time of year, it was already pushing towards 25-26 by then which obviously feels hotter with the high sun.  The times aren't especially fast although I doubt it was a very strong field.

You're kidding?  9:30am is brutal especially given the weather down your way is more prone to extremes than up here.  There's plenty of winter halves that start earlier than that!  Good decision to skip it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Steve damn these calves. Mine is going to get a good test this week. Im either going to be ecstatic if it holds up or totally depressed if it gets sore and I cant get into my marathon training.

Nick Willis is very religious so I think he is cleansing his soul. 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Thanks Guys!!

Appreciate all the advice and support!

I'll have a race report in day or two.

Official chip time 3:23:07

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I disappear for a couple of days, and this thread goes off the rails with Piwi and MJ!

9:30 AM Races - Should be banned except in the winter. I love 7 am races in the summer, athough 8 am is okay as well. 9:30 when the sun rises at 5:30 is crazy.

More weather complaints - It's not even the darkest day of the year yet and I'm already mentally drained from running in the dark so much. The sun sets here in NYC at 4:30 this time of year. I was able to get a run in the morning during sunlight and it made me so much happier, so I guess it isn't the cold necessarily.

Me - I also was getting very tired of running only easy runs, so decided to start off my Boston training with some MP work. It was a touch quick because I haven't been running a ton of miles, i.e. my legs are fresh ,but felt so good to get back out there and run something besides easy pace. I will now really start ramping up training. Piwi and I have marathons 1 day apart, so it'll be fun to track our training. Hope that calf heals up!

Weekly Summary
          Monday, Dec 03, 2018 thru Sunday, Dec 09, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Tue 11.1 7:28 Evening Run strava
          Wed 11.0 7:18 Starting to get that dead leg feeling back strava
          Thu 10.9 7:09 Evening Run strava
          Sun 14.9 6:34 2x6 @ MP strava
            47.9 7:04  

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Congrats on the new toy and the calf seeming like it's improving.

CFarr - Awesome job, once more. Can't wait for the RR.

JMac - It really seems like running in the dark is a very personal/individual thing. Running in daylight is a bit weird for me. Because I typically have to run so early in the morning there are only a couple months in the summer when most/all of a typical run will be completely in daylight.
            Best of luck with the newly launched marathon cycle!

Another day of not running for me. Not so much because I just didn't feel like it, so maybe the motivation is back a bit. I was just sleeping so much better than I have been that I wanted to take advantage of it and sleep in. I'll do the bunch of 200s/400s tomorrow instead! Hopefully... I may also switch things up a bit from what I had planned and finish out the year with more Rep/Interval work to rebuild a touch of speed before jumping into the Daniels plan that I have on the calendar. Who knows, it's still kinda in the air.

A local-ish girl crushed a couple records over the weekend at a 24 hour race. Camille Herron is just a machine...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Keen enjoy those sleepins. So good for recovery.

Jmac awesome workout you did. Mark started that topic, I just took it to that other level 

Anyway I wanted to get all shocking controversial posts out the way now before our new leader takes over and bans me 

Daylight here at 5am so I cant relate to your situation.

I got in my first marathon cycle run today and my calf seemed fine. 14kms easy although it was supposed to have a 4 mile tempo but I decided to be cautious plus I still have a cold. Overall I was very sluggish and it was very muggy ( no Kiwi point talk here  Wink

Anyway its a start.

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - it was a cracking morning up here, I was struggling a bit after our toddler packed a 2 hour tantrum in the middle of the night but had a nice 11km cruise around Hobsonville Point and Bomb Point, cool-ish temps and beautiful weather.

JMac - I still have no idea how you can do these long periods without workouts.  I don't have the patience for that.

Keen- those 24 hour races are insane.  The NZ Champs get held up near us at the track I sometimes train on.  A couple of years ago it rained the entire race, would've been pretty miserable.  Also - I'm with you when it comes to training in the dark.  We are pretty close to the longest day here now and I can't wait for the days to start getting shorter again, funnily enough.  Probably seems crazy to some people but hey I love winter too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Look, I like running in the dark here and there, don't get me wrong. But starting and ending every run in the dark is getting to me.

If you had a choice, would you choose to only run in the dark going forward or only run in sunlight going forward? Neutralize everything else, e.g. the temperature, wind, humidity, etc. is all the same.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Dark.

Assuming that there are street lights or at least some sort of ambient light such that I can see where I'm going.  The only time I ever had an issue with this was when I foolishly adventured onto a new trail through bush in the middle of winter at 5:30am.  Not my finest hour but it was fortunately only ~1km long and it did add a bit of excitement.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - that's hilarious and awesome joke! I agree, people are so fake, it's ridiculous.

Jmac - daylight for me. My eyesight is not the same and a lot of places aren't safe anymore after dark.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dark.

Just wanted to note that this is _always_ the correct answer.  To anything.  Running, clothing choices, musical preferences, etc....

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Flavio thank you for appreciating my joke. I'm not some sort of weird sicko really I just have a rude sense of humour 

Dark wave always appears on here when I say inappropriate stuff 

Mark little kids are tough. Life was hard for us with 4 but I wasn't a runner then.

The NZ climate and lifestyle is probably one big reason I tend to wander in my hobbies and have not had the consistency I should have. It would be better to live somewhere that is cold and grey with nothing else to do, I think it's called England 

jmac if temps were the same I guess light is better. I really like just on light when it's half dark. I prefer people to not see me running especially during workouts.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Just wanted to note that this is _always_ the correct answer.  To anything.  Running, clothing choices, musical preferences, etc....

I can agree with this.

From a running perspective, the darkness at once makes the world seem large, with great expanses without any lights. It really removes all sense of distance from the lights I can see on the horizon.  At the same time, it seems small since all I can really see clearly is the few yards illuminated by a headlight - or at times really small if I turn off my light entirely, which is one of my favorite things.

Of course this is from the perspective of running in the country, where I can go miles without passing a house or other sign of civilization. If I ran in the city this might change.

Finally got in a run today. Alternated 200s and 400s at about mile pace until I started to fatigue, so I called it before my form deteriorated. Next time I may just walk more of the recoveries. Ended up getting 8x of each. 400s suck, but they suck much less with a 200 between each one than when they're back-to-back.

There's also a growing pile of girls' running jackets left by the track. Last week there was one, now there is two. I wonder how long this trend will continue.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The NZ climate and lifestyle is probably one big reason I tend to wander in my hobbies and have not had the consistency I should have. It would be better to live somewhere that is cold and grey with nothing else to do, I think it's called England 

Or Dunedin...

I don't mind running in the dark although if it's pitch black then speed work can be a bit tricky (or maybe I need a better headtorch).  Have to look straight down to see where the feet are going and sometimes don't see looming danger in the middle distance...being out in the country would be better.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I can agree with this.

+1.

You should see how many black t-shirts I have in my wardrobe!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"