Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Heh I was poking fun on the fact that the Dutch are very tall, a light joke really because being tall is awesome.

How's the surf?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I couldn't agree more with this.

I did a 60 minute run last night which included 3x10 mins at tempo pace which I try to make HM pace.  It felt great and reasonably comfortable averaging 4:08min/km.  Compare that to Monday when I did 3x(2,2,4) intervals at around 3:50min/km when at times I felt near death - time never goes faster than on those 1 minute recovery jogs.  Obviously I know 18 seconds per km is a massive difference but it's really been illustrated to me this week.

Blair - Those workouts are exactly what Daniels calls them, hard. And you would be surprised how much of a difference 5 seconds per mile can make.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Piwi - Heh I was poking fun on the fact that the Dutch are very tall, a light joke really because being tall is awesome.

How's the surf?

I would love to be taller although been small is actually good for distance running. Im 5'8 173cm.

Steve i used to do 1000m intervals at the track 6 x 1000m with one lap jog inbetween which was about 2 mins. Man that 2 mins jog went quick.........

I made a segment using my name......   https://www.strava.com/segments/16754266?filter=overall  I have to make sure I lead this one right ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - haha that is an awesome proud dad moment, hope to have some of those with my daughter on the running front but she actually has to start walking first lol

Blair - honestly that sounds like a pretty gnarly workout, I wouldn't be too fazed if you can't nail it.  The rest periods make a big difference.  I did a 5x 1k hard / 300m jog workout and it was hard but fun.  The next week I tried it with only 200m rests and they were the shortest 200m's of my life.

Flavio - the CFO at one of my favourite clients is Dutch and yes he is pretty tall too lol

Piwi - maybe I will drive down to Papamoa just to take that one down haha.  Actually my Strava entertainment at the moment is watching Gene Rand and Stephen Lett try to out-mileage each other.  Gene is regularly around 160-170km/week and Steve is a former Auckland marathon champ who seems to be getting back into running in a big way.  Anyhow Gene went hard early in the week and Steve was feeling the heat to catch up before the weekend not knowing Gene has to drive back home from Gisborne.  It's kind of like reality TV but without the bulls**t haha.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

If I recall correctly then the Dutch are the tallest people in the world? One study said its because of what they eat. Not sure what thats supposed to be (Gouda cheese???). Might be for them like the chia seeds for the tarahumara.

Anyways I will have a hard time after my injury to run a sub 90 hm and I came to realize that after the first couple of quality sessions. I am planning to run 3 hm this year. The first one is a bit hilly and in June. I am aiming for 105 minutes then (5min pace).

And I plan to drop that to sub 100min by early September and finally 95 minutes by early October - the last hm for me this year.

I am following JDs hm plan and will adapt between June and September with your help. I will end the week with 32/33 miles and hope to increase this in the next weeks to 40.

Actually the reason I came here was just to check with the JD community regarding his R workouts. He has something that left me puzzled: one workout is repetitions of 200R/200jg 200R/400jg 400R/200jg. That doesnt seem to make sense. Wouldn't it be better to run 400 and then jogg 400 instead of the other way around?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Actually the reason I came here was just to check with the JD community regarding his R workouts. He has something that left me puzzled: one workout is repetitions of 200R/200jg 200R/400jg 400R/200jg. That doesnt seem to make sense. Wouldn't it be better to run 400 and then jogg 400 instead of the other way around?

I don't think the order really matters. I think he's saying if you're about to do a 400, you need more rest than if you're about to complete a 200. That's just the flip of saying I need more rest after a 400 than a 200.

The rest periods aren't that critical for R workouts. In fact, they're not very difficult to complete. The entire point of them is to build leg turnover and pure speed, so you shouldn't be hurting after this.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

JMac - I would actually say that the rest periods are somewhat important in R-paced workouts, but only in the way that you need to make sure they are long enough to be able to keep good form for all your reps.

Mick - It would be interesting to hear what your program looks like in the later weeks.  A good friend of mine purchased a 12-week JD HM plan with 3 workouts scheduled every week, and in some weeks in the heart of the program it calls for some sort of tempo pace on all of those 3 days .

To avoid the current storm that's passing through here I think I've decided to combine 2 4-mile easy days into one 8-mile easy day tomorrow. I also looked ahead in my program to next week and realized I'm supposed to run 12 miles at m-pace on next Wednesday . I think I will step back from the Jack Daniels m-pace and run it at planned race day m-pace to see how that feels and to give me some sort of gauge before I toe the line in 3 weeks.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Rune - Definitely an awesome moment to be a dad. My oldest daughter (1st grade) asked me to help her train for a 1 mile run her school is doing in a few weeks. Hopefully she'll love it and we can eventually run races together.

Piwi - I live right next to OKC, yet I seem to only hear if the Thunder win or lose from you.
                  Around a local lake there's a segment named for a local runner who has won our marathon, and even won Comrades. Oddly enough, I can't find her on the leader board at all.

The Dutch - I'm indebted to them for creating the stroopwafel.

Looking forward to my 15k tomorrow. It should be pretty windy, as it is every year, but due to a change in the course the wind should mostly be a crosswind, which will really help.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

jaimegu

Hi, all,

Nice to see Piwi writing here

I frontloaded this week but I missed one run to get to the intended mileage.  Yesterday was only soccer and will rest until Sunday. 2 things though.

1. During last Sunday's run I got a deroofed heel blister due to water and dirt coming in the shoe and the sock trapping all of this while moving (chances are I didn't tie very well the shoe). I dressed with with a big band-aid, but that was only to protect while I completed the mileage as it doesn't allow it to heal.  Right now is a race against the clock for healing so I don't feel it during the race.

2. New England is under a storm, which is supposed to finish by the end of the day, there where flooding advisories and all that.  My only concern is that strong winds from North are forecast for a race that goes mainly South, North then South, next to the ocean

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I would actually say that the rest periods are somewhat important in R-paced workouts, but only in the way that you need to make sure they are long enough to be able to keep good form for all your reps.

You're right, I phrased that poorly. What I meant was getting the rest to be exactly the right time is not important, or not nearly as important as it is in an I or T workout. The point is just to take a long enough rest that you are effectively fully recovered.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

You're right, I phrased that poorly. What I meant was getting the rest to be exactly the right time is not important, or not nearly as important as it is in an I or T workout. The point is just to take a long enough rest that you are effectively fully recovered.

This is exactly why I posted the question here and thought that JD got the order of the 400's wrong. I will look at some other plans. His book has a few mistakes and typos so I wouldn't be surprised.

Rune: I can share the plan with you at some stage - I have completed my plan up to phase 2 out of 4 - I enter my workouts in an excel spreadsheet so that I can quickly glance at it before heading out for a run. I follow the book which lets you compile your own plan based on availability of weeks. But even in the 3rd phase which is the toughest of the plan there is only a long run at Marathon pace as 3rd quality workout. So I would say the book doesn't include any weeks with 3 workouts at the lactate threshold. But as said I will take a closer look!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mark thats some good motivation for those 2 guys bouncing mileage back off each other. My pb half in 2014 I warmed up with Stephen Lett. I didnt know how fast he was and asked what time he expected and he said 68 mins. Sure enough he ran that and won.

Keen haha OKC is eeking out some tough wins. They managed to scrape past Phoenix today.

Im only running around every 2nd day but feel like I have a calf strain. May have done something while fitting out my new work van today.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

My knees are gradually getting better, though they're not yet back to normal.  My easy runs are also speeding up to become moderate runs (which I suppose is a good sign for my fitness), so I may need to go back to breaking them up every so often.  Felt better this morning, and my pace was faster than I had intended, so I tacked on another mile.  Knees weren't too bad afterwards, so I'll try to add a few miles next week.

Sun - off

Mon - 6.2 miles easy

Tues - 6.2 easy

Weds - 20 mins swimming

Thurs - 6.2 moderate

Fri - 6.2 moderate

Sat - 7.3 moderate, including 6.2 @8:02/mile, faster than I intended

Total - 32.1 miles

YTD average- 28 miles

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

Jaime - good luck for the race!! Hoping that blister is OK and the wind stays away for you.  At least you will have it tail wind for part of the way so just don't over-exert into the wind.

Keen - hope the 15k went well.

Piwi - yeah Steve has been doing a few of the HMs around me so it is a good contest between him and Brad Luiten. I think Brad pipped him by 20 seconds or so at Orewa.

James - glad those knees are improving!

Me - had my biggest week so far this year.  Some good sessions through the week although I really struggled towards the end of Sunday's LR, was trying to do a progression again but the humidity has come back and so the last 5km was a real struggle.  This week might be a little lighter and then the following week I'll probably do a bit of a taper for the Coatesville HM on 18 March.

M:11km easy

T: weights

W: 14.4km w/ 4x2min hill reps

T: 16.0km w 1x4km tempo / 1km easy, 3x2km tempo/0.5km easy

F: weights

S: 11.5km track workout incl. 4x800/400jog, 4x400/200jog

S: 25.2km incl. slightly botched progression in the second half

Total: 78.2km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

James - PROVIDED the knees hold together, slowly keep adding miles.

Mark - nice week.

Like Mark, I had my biggest week of the year.  It was 4km / 2.5 miles more than the previous week.  My knee was pretty good.  Monday was relatively cool (11 Celcisus / 52 Farenheit) which felt quite cool.  Tuesday intervals were ok, had a very slight throat infection which slightly affected it, also the first six intervals were too slow as I just didn't push the pace enough.  It was also my first intervals in the dark for a long time, which probably affected it too.

Thursday's tempo was pretty good, considering it was lunch time, and it was warm again.  Today's 20km was pretty good, and quite warm.  Two weeks to my half now.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Link
                                Mon 5.6 7:48 Evening Run strava
                                Tue 8.7 7:29 Evening Run - Incl. 12 * 400m circa 10k pace strava
                                Thu 7.6 7:20 Lunch Run - tempo 4.0km-12.0km strava
                                Fri 6.1 8:55 Morning Run strava
                                Sat 7.5 8:02 Afternoon Run strava
                                Sun 12.4 8:05 Warm Sunday Afternoon Run - MLR strava
                                  47.9 7:55  

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25