Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

6 @ MP is a bit light to be honest. I don't feel like I'm ready to run at that distance until I can get at least 12 @ MP done. I'm not trying to discourage you from going for that race pace, just looking to give my honest feedback.

I believe you're heading into your race soon, so there was no way to get such a demanding workout in, but that's unfortunately how marathon training goes: once you're in the last 3 weeks, you have no great gauge of what shape you're in. I would tend to rely more on what paces I was running in weeks 4-6 to go in my training, not what I could do in the taper. Tapers leave you in two places: either feeling so fresh that your workouts paces pick up significantly, or feeling terrible that you wonder how you have any chance of coming close to goal pace. I've gone through both (sometimes in the same taper!) and they've indicated nothing of what was going to happen on race day.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Yes, Jmac, I agree it's a bit shorter than ideal, but the real test was last week and then something clearly was off. Just starting taper this week so I don't expect it to have much effect (ran 15 easy on Saturday).  Last m-pace workout before this was February 18 with a 6M+2E+2M where the first 6 were run at 7:26 pace, with HR very close to my race 2 years ago, and the last two felt hard at 7:37 and 7:39. That was a strange day though with tons of wind. The week before I ran my HM race in place of 13 miles at m-pace.

My taper weeks have been very predictable earlier, after a week or a week and half it feels like I'm flying and my legs feels great. I will be trying hard to not pick up the pace for my short T-pace workout next week and rather keep it on pace and see how easy or hard it feels.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

For the last few halves I've done (I know, completely different beast) I've had a week in the last 6 when something has been off and I just can't hit the usual targets.  I usually take it to mean I should have had a light week in the previous or current week.  Only one race when this happened did I feel like I preferred death than continuing to run in the last 5km.

Now that you're back on track I'd ignore the bad week completely.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - yeah, it was the day after some moderate leg training. I’m pretty sure you can go sub 39 for 10K, you didn’t stay out for too long.

Roxx - I’m not the best to ask since I rarely do workouts because I often injure myself doing them, that said I saw a sequence of workouts on the Hansons plan that I found very nice:

These have 400m rests:

12x400, 8x600, 6x800, 5x1000, 4x1200, and 3x1600 with 800m rests.

It’s a moderate introduction and when I did those it was great.

Rune - great workout, yeah somedays you’re the hammer somedays the nail. You're going to have to judge on race day. At mile 20.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

After my last marathon in 2014 i swore id never run another...and i havent Smile actually i didnt think that and had a much better marathon than the first.

Rune good luck you have potential to run faster than 3.25 but your mileage is low for marathon training so a conservative approach is best.

Keen with those low heartrate results obviously taper is working well!

My van was getting signwritten this morning so a mate asked me to tag along for an 18km trail run. It was good but i rolled my left ankle and aggravated my right ongoing achilles/calf so im feeling a bit beat up now.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

6 @ MP is light.  Hanson's has 10 @ MP which is at the lower range of most plans, but it does come two days post intervals, so is meant to simulate the last 10 miles (i.e. you don't start fresh).

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

JamesD

JamesD

JMac/5Ks - I'm with you on avoiding races with slow fields, but maybe for a different reason. I run a lot faster and enjoy it a lot more when there are others around my speed.  I train on my own, so races are for running with others, especially when I only do 3 or 4 a year.  I do enjoy courses with out-and-back segments, though.  Gives me a chance to see the leaders ahead of me (and spurs me if I think I have a chance to catch any of them) and friends behind me.  I'm usually pushing hard enough that I can't do much more than smile or wave at friends, but even that seems to make the race easier.  Most of my friends who run are a little more casual, so they can yell encouragement to me, which also helps.

Intervals - I do 4x1200 @3K effort a couple of times a year, partly for the workout and partly to measure my fitness. Hope to get up to 5x1200 this year.  Do longish hills for my other VO2 max work.  Used to do 800s, and if I started running intervals more frequently, I'd probably mix them in with the 1200s.

Good luck to this weekend's racers!

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - It's funny you say I haven't been out a while. I feel like not running for 3 months was an eternity and I have a very long road back! I'm very happy with my progress though and honestly any 10K time is good. I want to use that race to help set my training paces for the rest of this cycle for me. Plus, just getting out there and racing will make me very happy.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend! Can't wait to hear the race reports.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I am still reeeealllly slow compared to all of ya and where I need to be to get close to 90min in October but I am noticing a slight shift in my lactate threshold.

Todays workout was torture and the really tough JD workouts are yet to come. So it was an easy 2k then 4x200/200 @ 1mile pace followed by 4x1mile at lactate threshold with 1 min recoveries and another 4x200/200 that I didnt really run at my mile pace anymore because my wheels were coming off.

Boy that glass of red wine tastes good today. I will sleep like a baby tonight!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I am still reeeealllly slow compared to all of ya and where I need to be to get close to 90min in October but I am noticing a slight shift in my lactate threshold.

Todays workout was torture and the really tough JD workouts are yet to come. So it was an easy 2k then 4x200/200 @ 1mile pace followed by 4x1mile at lactate threshold with 1 min recoveries and another 4x200/200 that I didnt really run at my mile pace anymore because my wheels were coming off.

Boy that glass of red wine tastes good today. I will sleep like a baby tonight!

The 4x2 after threshold work is one thing I really love about JD. It seems stupid sometimes when you're doing them, but man, does it teach you how to run fast (and more importantly with proper form) when your legs are very tired. They do however feel like all out sprints and not mile pace.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Signwritten? That's not a term I'm familiar with.

James - While I enjoy seeing other runners I know on out-and-back sections of a race (almost all of my runs are solo), most of those courses around here have some curves in the trail. The back-of-the-pack runners typically are really spread out through those, which usually forces me to run very non-optimal paths. Thus my dislike of out-and-backs.

12 miles on the schedule tomorrow, with 10 at MP (Daniels' MP, not mine!), plus some strides. The local running club is doing 14 for the marathoners, so I might just add on those extra two miles just for kicks. And I did notice that on the route for tomorrow there's a very short (~250m) Strava segment in the last couple miles that would be just perfect for an extended stride...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

12 miles on the schedule tomorrow, with 10 at MP (Daniels' MP, not mine!), plus some strides. The local running club is doing 14 for the marathoners, so I might just add on those extra two miles just for kicks. And I did notice that on the route for tomorrow there's a very short (~250m) Strava segment in the last couple miles that would be just perfect for an extended stride...

Daniels' M-pace is just brutal

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

The 4x2 after threshold work is one thing I really love about JD. It seems stupid sometimes when you're doing them, but man, does it teach you how to run fast (and more importantly with proper form) when your legs are very tired. They do however feel like all out sprints and not mile pace.

I need to go back and see what I did wrong today but my legs were just too tired so I might have been beyond the threshold for too long. The crazy thing is the 4reps before the main workout. So it was R-I-R. This is the only workout in Phase II that kicks it off with repetitions. Good workout though and as you said its really efficient.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

jaimegu

A quick note to wish the best to our runners this weekend,  Watson and Mark... Hoping for ideal conditions for you guys.

Marky_Mark_17

Hi all, stoked to say I ran 1:17:45 for 2nd place and a 35 second PB. Totally did not expect that on what is a pretty demanding and hilly course, full RR later on or tomorrow.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"