Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Hey guys merry new year 

Blair segments are cool. You can create your own too of course. Some segments are ridiculously out of reach if on popular routes where elite/local elite run so avoid those ones . The 10 mins ice soak sounds very soothing especially in summer but your winter sounds terrible so I understand not needing it then.

Rune very nice mileage. 50 mpw will reap huge benefits if you keep it going.

Watson good to see you back. My wife wanted a trip to Wellington but the kids protested the drive down. My son is trying to get into Wellington Uni for film so maybe we will still be coming down. If so we should hook up for a run.

Mark ITBS is tricky but common. I think shoes can often be the cause if they get a bit dead.

My week below. I have no plan or schedule but just get out the door early before it gets too hot. I dont even know what pace Im going to run until Im running. I usually dont run on days when Ive surfed or kayaked. Sometimes I will do both.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Dec 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 31, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Mon 5.0 8.00 Xmas day Link
    Tue 6.8 7:59 Lunch Run strava
    Wed 8.1 11:06 Morning Run strava
    Fri 5.0 8:30 Morning Run strava
    Sun 6.9 11:10 Morning Run strava
      31.8 9:50    

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

kkittenkat

English Villian

Good morning and happy new year Smile

I will post some training - when I do some Smile

I DID go for a run yesterday actually.

runethechamp

Piwi, Mark - Thanks. As last week was a bit of an anomaly with two "long" runs in the same week I will probably get closer to 35-40 miles per week or so the next few weeks. But my legs feel strong when I go out running these days. Piwi, I'd say you're doing well to get 30+ mile weeks when you just run with no particular plan.

This week I have two sessions involving m-pace, 9 miles that I will probably do tonight (there's *gasp* rain in the forecast tomorrow), and the Jack Daniels classic E-M-T-M-E session over the weekend. Has anyone here done his training programs? I'm asking because JD is usually pretty aggressive in his m-pace predictions, and I was wondering if I should run these sessions with his predicted m-pace or rather a more realistic m-pace. I don't think I will have problems finishing the workout either way, although I expect the weekend session to be hard, but I figured it was worth asking to see what other people have done.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Running Problem

Problem Child

New (to this forum) guy with a new goal.

34M in Northern Nevada. Previous PR is a 1:34 from 2016. I took 2017 off from road races, and kind of running in general, to spend time with family which ended up not happening as much as possible. Aiming for sub 1:30. Running started in 2014 when I was training for tough mudders and progressed to marathons (3:13). 1:30 seems to fit aiming for a 3:07 in Chicago this year and I'd say my only "favorite" race is CIM but I've PR'd there both times so I guess any race I PR by a substantial amount is a favorite race of mine. Looking forward to all the advice about training. I'll be following a Hansons approach since I PRd with it previously, I like the weekly mileage and the longest runs are 10 miles on the weekend. I'll probably stick with the basic/beginner plan for the beginning of the year working up to the advanced for Chicago.

Biggest Little Half Marathon. Previous PR 1:34:58 but it measured 12.9. Course was extended in 2017 but I ran it casually to prepare for a pacing gig. Out and back course with a couple long hills I wouldn't consider ideal for a PR but oh well. I've done this race each year it's been around (both years) so it's also a streak of mine.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Rune thanks yeah 10kms 5 times per week seems like a good minimum for me. Sorry I have never done JD stuff.

KK give us the juicy details of your run. What sort of mileage have you been logging recenty ? Are you on Strava ?

Marky_Mark_17

Rune - sorry, I'm no help on Daniels either.

BrewingRunner - welcome!  To be honest courses with hills can still be PR courses if you are smart about them.  My HM PR is on a course with a few nasty hills, and I know others who have PR'ed at Coatesville which is possibly the hilliest HM in the country.

Piwi - I don't think it's shoe wear as none of my current rotation have over 400km on them.  But there are more low drop shoes in the rotation than I've had in the past so I might reintroduce the Mizuno Wave Catalysts or Sayonara's and see if that helps.  Rune also wondered if it might be pronation-related so switching around shoes could test that out.  Running on the softer surface on the track, avoiding downhills, and icing all seems to be helping.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Sounds good Mark to reduce jarring of the ITB irritation.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mark - Glad to see the ITB issue isn't seeming as severe.

Rune - Like the others, I have no experience with JD.  I did buy DRF though and am using one of his plans for the first time so I'm with ya Smile I'm following his HM plan for phases II-IV (6 weeks each phase, although I am considering cutting one of them down to 4 to continue by base building).  I noticed his M-paces are rather generous in their predictions, but, hey, what do I know.  I'll follow along so long as my body doesn't scream too loudly.

Brewing - welcome aboard!

Flavio - the photo (and url) is hilarious!

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
                    2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

jaimegu

Hi, all,

Happy new year everyone!

Rune:  JMac trained with Daniels for his last Full and was very satisfied about... Those quality workouts are beasts.

Brewing: Welcome... You certainly have the potential with that FM time in a short running career.

Watson: Welcome back... Nice to have you here.

Piwi: Good week for someone "unmotivated"

Mark:  I think you are treating the ITB very well, just don't lower your guard.  I do rotate my shoes as much as I can, and I'm finally getting new pairs

Flavio:  Funny link. Even the cops were happy about the island idea.

Blair: Segments are fun, but I have withdrawal issues: I keep a higher pace even if it's supposed to be an easy run just because of the segments

Me:

Confined to a treadmill and my Fenix2 became uncalibrated (possibly because I deleted old activities).  But I now own a footpod

A little worried because my HR is higher in the runs than it was 3 weeks back in similar conditions.  I don't think it's de-training in such a short period of time and I still was somewhat active.  I still failed the quality workout

Weekly Summary
                      Monday, Dec 25, 2017 thru Sunday, Dec 31, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Wed 9.9 6:16 13km@4:46 watch uncalibrated strava
                      Thu 9.4 6:45 13km @4:46/km strava
                      Fri 11.8 6:43 16Km w/3@4:15. the rest @4:55 strava
                        31.1 6:35    
                      runethechamp

Flavio - Haha, that story is great.

Brewing - Welcome. What do you have against cats anyway? 

Blair - Good to hear I have a fellow Daniels follower here. My program is one of his 15 week custom marathon programs (low mileage version), created for a buddy of mine a couple of years ago. The program starts at paces very close to what fits me now so at the moment I'm just following the program straight up. There is some progression in there at week 7 and week 13, so I will see if I'm up for following that once I get there.

I had 9 miles at M-pace on the program yesterday but my stomach did not agree at all, so I aborted after a little bit more than 4 miles. I'll be taking an easy day today and trying again tomorrow, hopefully with better results. Good thing with Daniels is that it's easy to move the two weekly quality days around when something gets in the way.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

kkittenkat

English Villian

Rune thanks yeah 10kms 5 times per week seems like a good minimum for me. Sorry I have never done JD stuff.

KK give us the juicy details of your run. What sort of mileage have you been logging recenty ? Are you on Strava ?

Hi Smile

It was only four miles, but 2 miles up and then 2 miles down. I'm not on Strava but I do use a Garmin, a few years since I used Garmin connect, but I might give it a try this weekend.

Flavio Kiwis will do anything to drink beer 

Jaime hi looks like a similar mileage week to me. You getting hit hard by winter I guess ?

Rune nothing worse than running on a bad stomach.

KK all the cool kids are on Strava now  I highly recommend you join as it may be what you need to remotivate your running.

I created a segment today on Strava using my name in the title. Let me know if this is narcissistic 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

I acquired a cat from my sister in law with about 3 minutes notification. I'm not really a cat person because I don't like having their fecal matter inside the house or the litter getting all over. Plus they shed. A yorkshire terrier doesn't shed, deficates outside, and can go hike 13 miles with me. I joked in the 3:20 thread that I got my wife pregnant to get rid of the cat since the sister in law is an L&D nurse and knows I wasn't about to start taking care of the cat, my wife couldn't be around it, and we took the cat so she could travel nurse and she had stopped traveling and took a long term position locally so she could have her cat back because this wasn't ever supposed to be permanant. She gave the cat away about 15 months later to go back to traveling because traveling and finding a place to live that allows animals is harder to do than just finding a place to live. Add in working 12 hour days and the cat is kind of neglected so she sort of had to admit the reason the cat was around for so long was because I, or another family member, cared for the cat more often than she did. The cat was refered to/named Sh*tty K*tty on the board and she enjoyed sitting on my lap while I would post here from home and was actually not a bad cat. It just kind of stuck and the shirt photo fits because it's awesome.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22