Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Salutations! I followed and somewhat lightly participated in this group when I first found it on RWOL about 2 years ago, but I'm looking to be more active.

I'm 33 year old guy from the middle of the U.S. and an adult-onset runner, starting most of the way through my 30th year. I like Altra's, Saucony's, and long runs on dirt roads. 

I'm building back from a near gap in training since mid-late September. I had a hip issue, followed by a sinus & respiratory infection, and lastly the recent birth of Dear Daughter #3 that seriously put a damper on my running (only this last mention was worh it!). Overall I'd like to build my fitness back up to where I can shave at least 1-2 seconds per mile from my PR, but I'm prepared to accept that that may not come until fall at least.

I'm currently undecided as to whether I will run the local full or half marathon in late April. I've done the full twice, but never the half. That alone could swing things toward the half, but we'll see.

Happy running!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

kkittenkat

English Villian

flavio/piwikiwi - I'll check out Strava on the weekend then. 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Brewing welcome. We have 3 cats and they are self sufficient apart from food. They come and go as they please and toilet outside. Had a dog briefly and it was a nightmare although the species we chose was poor 

Keen welcome back

KK I reckon its worth it to try and remotivate you and hold you accountable for more regular mileage. You can get the App on your phone and upload from your watch to strava to record everything. Use Mr Google if you get stuck.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

jaimegu

Piwi: This winter is shattering records every day... today is the "warmest" at -9C since before Christmas but the -20C days will return after a "small system" called northeaster (cyclone that creates blizzard conditions with snow and strong winds) that is burying Blair in Atlantic Canada, and New England.

The longest streak of -20 or lower days here... record cold in many places, Record snow in Erie, PA, snow and frozen pools in Florida,

runethechamp

Brewing - Good thing you could take care of the cat for a while at least.

Piwi - Our two cats sound like yours. We also have a dog that is still trying to figure out that it's best to just leave the cats alone. I take the dog running (she absolutely loves it) and she keeps me honest at a very easy pace on my short easy runs.

Jaime - Our winter is brutal as well, sometimes it gets into the low 40s at night, with daytime temperatures from the mid-50s to mid-60s in winter. Yesterday it even rained a little bit! 

Doing a retake on my 9 at MP tonight. Crossing my fingers it will work out.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Running Problem

Problem Child

Changing your eating habits (whole 30) while getting back into running more often always sucks/hurts. It's USUALLY just the first week but it's enough to make you want to reconsider eating healthier and eliminating sugar. It's impressive how much more your body needs to work to learn how to burn fat as fuel in the beginning stages.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

watsonc123

Brewing - welcome

Keen - welcome back.

Jamie - that's cold.

I have the opposite problem, it's been warm here, and unusually humid.  Tuesday's intervals were something, given I'd done nothing quick since October and it was very warm, thankfully it was only 5 * 400m.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

runethechamp

Did my 9 at M-pace workout yesterday as described above but somehow managed to run it a hair faster than planned at 7:21 pace. I thought I had it but then had to make a quick stop after mile 7. I decided there was no way I would not finish the workout so I did the last 2 miles after the stop, and while my breathing had recovered it certainly didn't feel like my legs had.

I've also come to realize that Mr Daniels doesn't mess around, and just this week I noticed that Sunday's run will be pretty much a copy of yesterday's, only with 2k of threshold pace thrown in between mile 6 and 7 of the part at m-pace. Based on how I felt yesterday I will have to work very hard to make it through Sunday in one piece 

Getting back into it

Jaime its amazing how people acclimatise to their environment. Im sure you are used to cold winters by now.

Brewing haha I like your profile pic. I dont get a say in having cats. My wife and 4 kids over rule me.

Rune it sounds tough. Plans keep you accountable and give you something to follow but of course dont take into account your age, how you are feeling and previous experience although they usually recommend a certain mileage to be run prior to a plan. I failed first time out at Pfitz 18/70. I was ok at speed workouts but couldnt handle overall mileage and the 2 longer runs per week. Eventually I got injured and burnt out. I tried again a year later with a much bigger base and nailed it.

Big storm here yesterday with violent winds and rain coupled with a big high tide flooded alot of lower lying roads. My mate and i got a run around the harbour in before it turned to custard and washed away the track.

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - we've had the same humidity up here - not pleasant.  Luckily most of my runs have been pretty easy while working through this ITB issue.

Keen - welcome back and congratulations on the new member of the family!! I find it hard enough work looking after 1 so I am impressed you can handle 3 kids!

Jaime - that storm looks like it has been crazy cold!

Rune - nice effort hammering out that workout even if it was tough going.

We have a cat also, the good thing about cats is they mostly take care of themselves, but yes the shedding hair everywhere is a real nuisance.  Also he has a bad habit of trying to trip me up like some sneaky cat ninja in the hallway in the dark at 5am.  I suspect he secretly hates me.

Me - ITB seems to be improving, it's just niggly now rather than really sore.  The osteo said it was pretty common a couple months after a marathon and she sees Ironmen who have had similar issues, and just to not go crazy on the mileage for the next few weeks.  Had a massage on it too which seems to have helped, in combination with less road and more track/grass running, and I'm mixing up high drop and low drop shoes again like I used to (I've been almost exclusively on low drop for the last 6-8 weeks which might have played a part).  I have a longer run tomorrow so we'll see how it handles that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Ooh Mark, I forgot about that marathon of yours, and you running fast relatively soon thereafter. That might be your injury culprit right there.

Keen - Welcome and congrats on daughter #3!!

Oh, and regarding the stop I had on my run, I realized I wasn't entirely clear when I told that story and now I see it looks like I stopped because I was tired. That was a quick bathroom break instead, and I had to climb and jump across a tall fence to get to this sporting goods store that I knew would have an available bathroom.

Getting back into it

JamesD

JamesD

Happy 2018, everyone.  James, 55M, Columbus Georgia, USA.  Married, 14-year-old son.  Retired in 2013 from economic work in U.S. embassies overseas & at the State Department in Washington.  Ran two years in high school before injuring a knee.  Ran once a week for most of the ten years before retiring, & worked my way up from 2x/week in 2014 to 5x/week in 2017.  Still have knee trouble pretty regularly (it stiffens briefly after showers almost every day, and standing in one place for more than a couple of minutes hurts), but it doesn't seem any worse on 30 mpw than it was on 12 a few years ago.  The increasing mileage means I’m still improving, which is fun.  I only run three or four races a year, at distances from 5K to a half, so almost every race is a last-30-years PR.  

Last year my normal training week was 28-31 miles, and I averaged 25 mpw for the year counting vacations, sick weeks, etc.  This year I’d like to peak at 40, be around 35 in normal weeks, and average 30 overall.  My goal race is a half that I’ve run each of the last four years (Soldier Marathon & Half Marathon, Nov. 17, Columbus, GA USA), and I expect that if I stay healthy & run the mileage I aim to, I should break 1:30.  Thought I was in sub-1:29 shape last November, but I cramped up very early despite starting slowly and had to walk for a while.  Still got under 1:32, so with more miles & fewer cramps, sub-1:30 should be doable.

I’m starting base work now, but for most of the year a typical week is Monday longish, Friday either tempo or something faster like long hills or track intervals, Tues/Thurs/Sat easy, and Weds & Sun off.  One unusual thing I do is stop every half-mile during easy runs for a minute or two of balance or core work.  On normal runs, I start out slowly and gradually speed up after a mile or two without really trying, and the frequent stops help me avoid going too fast during easy runs.

Been part of this group for almost a year, and I really appreciate the community of people at this level of dedication.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

James welcome back. The stopping on easy runs is unusual. I wonder if it impacts on the run overall from a fitness benefit ?

I had a better week due to crappy weather not allowing anything else to interfere with my running.

Weekly Summary
                                Monday, Jan 01, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 07, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Mon 6.2 7.48 Morning Run Link
                                Wed 6.2 7:09 Morning Run with tempo strava
                                Thu 6.8 8:01 Morning Run strava
                                Fri 10.6 8:39 Morning Run strava
                                Sat 5.1 8:39 Morning Run strava
                                Sun 13.2 6:43 Morning Run strava
                                  48.1 7:43    

I set myself a goal of running a sub 1.30 this morning and managed a 1.28 flat. Kept a steady 4.10/km in the first half downwind and maintained with more effort back into the wind. No warmup which was naughty so first couple of kms were forced. Pretty happy as only averaged about 25 mpw through december.