Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - great RR and well done on the race.  The way you paced it and the fact you were able to steadily run some other racers down and finish quickly is really impressive, especially at the tail end of an 80 mile week!  On a flatter course and if you totally gassed it at the end I reckon you would have at least another 30 seconds as well, but maybe you're like me and take a weird sense of pleasure out of setting PB's on hilly courses!  I think you're really well placed for your HM at the end of the month and looking forward to seeing how it goes.  Hope the fajitas were good!!

And yes, agree with JMac about the sig line and including your next race!  Gives us all helpful context for what's up next and each other's training.

Strava Sub-1:30 group - I believe this originally started via the old RWOL forums, or at least a lot of people from there were on it.  There's quite a lot of randoms on there I don't know but it's a public group so go figure.

JMac - haven't had that issue so can't help sorry. Did get a light stabbing on the base of my forefoot at one point but that was purely down to shoes that needed to be thrown out and for some reason I'd worn through the forefoot much quicker than expected.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - in my experience these changes the shoe companies do to the shoes are very hit or miss.

I love the Altra one 2 and one 2.5 line and I’ve been using them as the main shoes for over 3 years.

However the next in line, the One 3 is too narrow.

They are narrowing the shoe to cater to a larger market and leaving us duck feet folk out to dry.

Keen - I’m unable to wrap my head around “ had something left in the tank at the end of a race”. In my experience after crossing the finish line I usually have to take 10 to 20 seconds barely to catch my breath Big grin

Great job at the race it looks like the VDOT think works well for you.

I have a feeling you had a blast on the race as you were passing people all the way, that must have felt amazing.

Strava Sub-1:30 group - Some guys cycle a lot of the mileage.

me - I've signed up for another 5K this Saturday evening. I don't do too well on evening races though I think I set a 10K PR a while back.

There's also the 10k and the half but somehow I don't feel like suffering for longer than 19 minutes if I'm not setting a PR.

I might sign up for a 15k though may 6th.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah, having something left in the tank at the end of a race is not something I've experienced in a long time. My tank was empty by the 2.5 mile mark in my last 10K!

So that pins and needles feeling: turns out I actually DID have something stuck in my foot. I noticed that my big toe was starting to swell, so I started playing around with a tweezer and found a tiny piece of plastic/wood embedded in my big toe. Wondering why you have pins and needles without checking your foot first for foreign objects: that is grade A dumb for you folks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks everyone!

Mark - In the general metropolitan area I only know of four 5k (or 10k for one that's double-loop) courses that are flat - everything else tends to have rolling hills throughout, something that I'm comfortable with now. My typical loops are a bit hillier than average for the area, which I really like. I don't think it's as hilly as what you Kiwi's have to train on, though.
          One thing I do get a weird sense of pleasure out of is listening to other people's breathing during a race. That usually tells me pretty quickly whether or not that person will be able to finish ahead of me or not.

Flavio - Good luck on the 5k! I've only run a few evening races, and don't really want to do it again. Then again, the point of all of them was to have a race in the heat.

JMac - Was it an actual pin or needle stuck in your foot??

My next race - I really want to finish this one the way I did on the other two HM's I've been able to race, or the first 5k in which I broke 20 minutes - absolutley sucking air by the finish, stumbling past volunteers to grab a water bottle, and having to sit down for a few minutes to recover.
          It's interesting how perceptions of a time for a given race can change. When I first looked at my training plan and saw it gave an estimated goal time my first thought was "there's no way I'm running that fast". Looking back now, I'll be disappointed if I "only" hit that target.

I need to set some more concrete racing plans than what I just put in my signature. I want to see how fast I can burn through a 5k now, and the 50k just looks like fun. What could go wrong there, huh?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

One thing I do get a weird sense of pleasure out of is listening to other people's breathing during a race. That usually tells me pretty quickly whether or not that person will be able to finish ahead of me or not.

Oh man so I'm not the only one??? I love when some guy is running with me and he is breathing in a 1-1 pattern like 2 miles into a Half Marathon. It gives me a deep sense of pleasure just thinking "well you're screwed"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oh man so I'm not the only one??? I love when some guy is running with me and he is breathing in a 1-1 pattern like 2 miles into a Half Marathon. It gives me a deep sense of pleasure just thinking "well you're screwed"

I'm not the only one! lol. 

The second guy I passed in that race (~mile 2.5) was breathing about the way I'd expect at about mile 2 of a 5k. He tried a couple surges each time I got close that I didn't even think to match since I knew there was no way he could possibly sustain that and that I'd pass him eventually no matter what. The last guy I passed was doing much better - not fading (but not really kicking either) and his breathing was very similar to mine.

It's especially fun to do during the first 5-10k of a marathon while there are lots of people around!

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

So that pins and needles feeling: turns out I actually DID have something stuck in my foot. I noticed that my big toe was starting to swell, so I started playing around with a tweezer and found a tiny piece of plastic/wood embedded in my big toe. Wondering why you have pins and needles without checking your foot first for foreign objects: that is grade A dumb for you folks.

Oh JMac, this is undoubtedly a lead contender for 'post of the year' on this thread!!

Anyway, I'm glad that was all it was in the end!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Me too. Except I can vividly remember one half marathon where I got this very wrong.  I was in a pack of 4 at around the 10km mark, and one guy was breathing like he was at the end of a 5km.  I thought 'oh man you're toast'.  He ended up burning the rest of the the pack and leaving us in the dust at around the 17km mark.

Keen - you would crush your 5km PR on current form.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac that is funny but Im glad you found it.

Keen you are in the envious position of having improving fitness to the point that you dont know how fast you are. Its a great time in running what I would call " the honeymoon phase "  Marks been honeymooning for over 2 years now 

I vividly remember when I was new to running seeing local races where people were running sub 4 min/km for 10kms and above and thinking that it was crazy fast but within 2 years I got there. Enjoy and keep up the good training.

With regards to heavy breathers during racing, my PB half in 2014 I ran most of the race behind a very noisy breather who I was sure would crash and burn. He went on to run a 1.19 half. Maybe he was a 1.10 guy when fit though 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - you would crush your 5km PR on current form.

That's why I'm looking at 5k's soon after my goal HM - I think I've found one that's pretty flat and a lollipop, so no hairpin turns (very common around here) and also minimal issues arising from back-of-the-packers taking up the entire path.

Piwi - That thought has occurred to me. It's a pretty nice place to be!

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Haha, I had the same thing in the first 5km on Sunday.  Ran next to a guy who sounding like he was struggling for every breath and thought he's got some problems...I wasn't puffing at all and wasn't at any stage, unfortunately that didn't stop me going to pieces.  No idea what happened to that guy, probably finished 10 mins in front of me!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

runethechamp

I swear in my last HM I thought the 1:35 pacer was going to croak. Right before the halfway turnaround point he was breathing really hard, and he had been limping more or less the whole way. I left him and the group behind right around then, but wouldn't you know it, about a mile before the end he caught up with me again and encouraged me to keep up with him to the finish line. I have no idea how he did that.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

haha ok we have confirmed that heavy breathers may still be fast !

Temperature has really dropped here the last couple of days as Steve and Mark will confirm. Its actually really nice for running, just need to remember to wear gloves on the early morning runs !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

The same here in Europe regarding weather. I am probably a loud breather too. But I am also slow so there is still hope Smile

Piwi: the Bostons came. I had ordered the UK size at wiggle and they fit perfectly. Unfortunately I have to skip running for a couple of days as I have calf pain that seems pretty persistent. So I have really nice racing flats but they will have to wait for me to recover. Will try to cycle. Pain started last week after the JD back to back workouts and got worse to the point where I felt it while running. I guess my muscles and tendons were just not ready for that pounding yet! Classic mistake. :/

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

watsonc123

Yeah it has been cold here.

I ran the half at Sydney marathon in September 2015.  Nice course over the bridge, botanical gardens and Opera house.  Lots of little hills.

Mark - great half.  1:16 is sharp.  You really excel on modest volume with substantial intensity.

JMac - nice race.

Keen - nice race.

Steve - bad luck on your race.

As for me - life has completely got in the way with an exam, really busy at work, and house build. Plus also another stressor of my dad having a collar bone issue (broken but some unusual underlying issue which has not been diagnosed yet after many tests).

So my training has been super suck. As has my posting.

The next two weeks I am in holiday so I will get a few runs in.  Then the Wellington half is 1 July so hopefully an ok cycle can be managed.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25