Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - The temperature is going the other way here, quite rapidly. Currently about 88F/31C. The low temp this morning was the high just a couple days ago (68F/20C).

I'm probably going to start doing some more runs on the treadmill to build up a little more tolerance to the heat ahead of my race - being on the treadmill in the warm garage with no wind circulating certainly helps with that. I figure it won't hurt, but could really help come race day.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - good to see you are still around, was wondering what happened but figured other stuff got in the way.  Hope your dad is OK.

Piwi - yesterday morning was damn near perfect for running up here.  11C, practically no wind, beautiful clear skies.  One of those mornings where you just feel really happy to be out and enjoying a run!

Incidentally it was a total contrast to the day before, which was heaving with rain, very cold, and there was all sorts of debris and crap everywhere after the storm on Tuesday night!!

Keen - +1 for the heat acclimatisation strategy.  It definitely helps.  My FM last year was on a relatively warm and humid day for that time of year, but we'd been on holiday in Queensland (tropical) the week prior and that definitely helped.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Watson - Glad to see you, was worried for a bit. Hopefully we hear more from you soon!

Keen - heat acclimation is so crazy. I ran in 55 the other day and thought it was hot. I remember in the fall last year, I thought 65 with low humidity was a little chilly!

Mark - are you really gonna go 4 months without another race? Or is that just your next target race and you may do some shorter stuff beforehand?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Keen im sure good things come from toughing it out in the heat. I dont enjoy summer running and my mileage and enthusiasm drops.

Okc made the playoffs so Ive got more NBA to watch 

Watson welcome back.

Mark gloves did the trick for me up the top of Papamoa hills yesterday. Great running temps.

I will be running in Auckland next sat/sun morning from Parnell if you are around.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac  - yeah nothing else locked in until August.  If I can find a decent 5k or 10k race nearby I would do it.  However there's really only one event (at the start of July) that looks like it might fit the bill.  To be honest, I really enjoyed having a solid 4-5 month block of training over winter last year and I would be fine doing something similar again.  It's nice just to be able to focus on the run or the workout and enjoy it.  It's been a pretty busy period of racing too so I'm OK with a little downtime from racing.

Piwi - will let you know.  Weekends are a bit trickier for me now as I am Daddy Day Care on Saturday (wife works most Saturdays) and then try and give her a sleep in on Sunday!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

The same here in Europe regarding weather. I am probably a loud breather too. But I am also slow so there is still hope Smile

Piwi: the Bostons came. I had ordered the UK size at wiggle and they fit perfectly. Unfortunately I have to skip running for a couple of days as I have calf pain that seems pretty persistent. So I have really nice racing flats but they will have to wait for me to recover. Will try to cycle. Pain started last week after the JD back to back workouts and got worse to the point where I felt it while running. I guess my muscles and tendons were just not ready for that pounding yet! Classic mistake. :/

MJ sorry to hear about the calf pain. Do you own a foam roller ? My Bostons have almost got a 100kms on now, it sure builds up quick. They are my daily trainers as i have 3 pairs of fast shoes. Sometimes you have to alter a plan for your own needs but that comes with experience.

Mark no worries. Have you considered Mount Walkers and Joggers half or 10k at Mount Maunganui Queens Birthday weekend ? Its a fun event. I may do the 10k although Im getting slower and slower....you could win the 10k.

jaimegu

Hi guys,

Happy to see Watson back.

Mick, patience will take you thru.

Me: boarding to cross the pond.  Not sure how fun it will be with the current forecast for Monday

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Congrats on your team making the playoffs! There has been a teacher strike in Oklahoma the past two weeks, so I've been working from home to stay with DD1 (7). I typically only hear about the Thunder on the radio on the way to work, so I was completely out of the loop here.

Jaime - Welcome to the States!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JamesD

JamesD

Jaime-  Good luck!  Stay warm & dry as long as you can.

I'm recovered from my sinus infection, though I still have a head cold and/or allergies.  Strength is almost back to normal, though my easy runs don't yet feel as effortless as they did a couple of weeks ago.  I can tell I haven't done any fast running in a long time; when I tried some gradual accelerations after today's run, first and second gear (loping and running) felt fine, but I couldn't shift into a higher gear than second.  I may start doing some short tempos if I can get another steady week or two in and lengthen my long runs.

A question:  Which is harder on the legs, running on concrete or on brick?  On Sunday, for my first run back after being sick, rather than drive to the park with the dirt trail where I usually run, I went on a bike trail that runs past our apartment.  Was surprised how sore my legs were afterwards, especially since I had had four days off.  Sections of it have concrete on one side and brick on the other.  I know that both are harder than asphalt, but is one harder than the other?

My week:

Sun - 4.6 miles moderate on bike trail, beautiful sunny day

Mon - 6.6 easy

Tues - 6.6 easy @ 8:32/mile

Weds - off, didn't swim b/c head cold still there

Thurs - 6.6 moderate

Fri - 6.6 moderate

Sat - 7.1 including 5.7 moderate @ 8:06/mile and strides after

Total - 38.1 miles

YTD average - 29 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

James over on the old forums there was some interesting debate over is asphalt softer than concrete. Some swore it was and others said it made no difference for runners.

Personally i feel asphalt is more forgiving to run on. Brick would not be as dense as concrete so i feel it would be more forgiving although ive never run on brick.

Keen it is funny that I support your local NBA team from the other side of the world while you have no interest !

Jaime: good luck! Not sure its your first time or you are a regular in Boston - but enjoy it and please share with us afterwards!

Piwi: Crazy half time there. My respect. I have a foam roller and I roll almost every evening but I think its a small tear or something like that. Not too sure but I still feel it. I am too lazy to cycle at the moment. But I will give it a try tomorrow to see if its ok.

Flavio: Yuri always runs at around 5:30 kpm so not sure he cycles it. But I am certain he is on some magic juice because one cannot run these kind of miles for extended periods of time without burning out - unless you are part of the running monks in Japan. Lets see what and if he says anything. But the guy is clearly nuts. Thats for sure.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Mick ah ok hope the calf is ok. I saw Flavios question to that Yuri guy. Cant be all running miles surely !

Jaime good luck.

My week hit 80kms

Weekly Summary
                          Monday, Apr 09, 2018 thru Sunday, Apr 15, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Day Miles Pace Description Link
                          Mon 6.2 8:31 Afternoon Run strava
                          Tue 7.5 7:27 Morning Run strava
                          Wed 5.0 8:42 Morning Run strava
                          Thu 6.2 9:38 Morning Run strava
                          Fri 6.2 8:46 Morning Run strava
                          Sat 13.1 6:48 Morning Run strava
                          Sun 5.6 9:08 Morning Run strava
                            49.8 8:10    

Marky_Mark_17

Jaime - once again, all the best for Boston and hope you've adjusted to the change in timezone OK!

Piwi - really nice week.  I will have a look at that Mt 10k.

James- nice week, those sinus infections can be tough.  I don't run on brick a lot (seems like an expensive way to build a cycleway!), but definitely find asphalt preferable to concrete - faster and easier on the legs.

Me - light-ish week post-race at just over 50km.  I will start to build up again from this week, probably focusing on just developing the endurance a bit more to start with as I have almost 4 months until Taupo.  Overall body seems OK apart from a few minor niggles so that's definitely positive.

M: rest

T: weights

W: 9.1km easy

Th: 12.8km easy

F: weights

S: 13.5km incl. 6x 400m / 200m jog

S: 14.7km incl. 20 mins moderate effort

Total: 50.1km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

What's up guys! This time I did a better job of preparing for the 5k race as I got all the mileage early in the week and also ran 11km this morning. In summary, this time I had the excuses ready haha.

Total time of 19:19. At first I was disappointed but now I can see I'm just impatient.

I can't really ask for a much better time at this point. I just can't wait to be running low 18s for 5k again.

If the weight keeps going down I might be there in a couple of months.

I was inspired by Piwi's time trial half yesterday and now I'm considering running a half May 6th.

The target will be to run sub 1:30 to finally justify my place on this thread after not running anywhere near that in 2 years.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Oh yeah, 80km again this week. I'm very happy about that.

I really can't take that for granted!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly