Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - nice job on that run (probably the first sub-1:30 here for 2018 even if it was unofficial).

James - welcome back!

Me - pleasantly surprised with how this week ended up at 76km.  The ITB is definitely on the improve so with any luck it will be fully right soon enough. It's a little disappointing it had to strike during the holidays when I'd planned to smash a couple of really decent weeks but I guess now is the right time to get it right.

M: 15.3km easy (track)

T: weights

W: 16.4km w/ 3x800 and 2x1600 (track)

Th: 12.2km easy (mostly grass)

F: weights

S: 10.5km easy (mostly grass)

S: 21.9km (mix of road, track and grass)

Total: 76.3km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Piwi - I assume the stopping reduces the cardio benefit some, but it certainly seems to help my legs recover.  I doubt I could run even my current low volume if I ran all the easy runs without stops.  That said, when I started base training in December, I seemed to do ok for three weeks doing these runs twice a week (Tues/Thurs) rather than 3x.  Pete Magill's Build Your Running Body book discusses running like this at any pace between jogging and 10K, though he does four sets of varied exercises per stop while I just do one.  The stops also are sort of like Jeff Galloway's run/walk method, though I think he would have me do walk breaks of 30-60 seconds rather than the minute or two of exercises I do.

KK & Brewing - Welcome.  You make me feel like less of a newbie, as I was one of the last to join before RW moved its message boards (where I saw KK start lots of discussions - this is good).  We have one pet, a small white half-Maltese, half-poodle that we adopted from a shelter.  We believe he was owned by an old lady, and we assume she never took him out, because the dog has no clue what cats or other dogs are, just ignores them completely.  Great apartment dog, though - he's quiet & friendly & doesn't shed.

Keen - Welcome back.

I'm just back from two weeks of vacation in Chile visiting my wife's family.  Only got in one run the week of Dec 24-30, an easy 4.7 miles that brought my total for the year over 1330 miles, a little over 25 mpw.  I I had expected the time off & had only taken a few days off after my November half.  Seeing a glacier, bathing in thermal streams, etc., was worth a low week of running.  This week was better until we got back home.

Sun - off

Mon - 5.7 miles easy to moderate, part of it in dune-y sand at a campground/vacant lot near the beach.

Tues - 5.3 moderate in Santiago in ~90/32-degree heat

Weds - 5.6 easy in similar Santiago heat

Thurs - travel day

Fri - 7.2 easy in what for here is cold weather, low 40s/5-7'.  Felt strong and not particularly cold until the last mile.  (Famous last words...)

Saturday - planned to go easy in the afternoon, but my cough turned into what feels like bronchitis, and I'm in bed.  I've gotten sick sometimes after other long trips in recent years, and I assume lack of sleep on the overnight flight back and the change from 90/32 in Santiago to 18/-7 when we landed in Atlanta and went outside to get a van home didn't help this time.

Total - 23.8 miles

The highlight of next week probably won't be running.  I'm picking up my son after school Monday & driving him to Atlanta for the college football national championship game.  It's probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience (good thing, given secondary market ticket prices), as his favorite team hasn't been this good since around 1982 and the championship game just happens to be in Atlanta for the first time in 20 years of similar games.  Since my wife doesn't like football and he's too young to drive himself, I'll take him regardless of how I feel.  So my job now is to get healthier.  Root for me (and Georgia).

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio thats your last injury for 2018 right ? 

Mark good news on your ITBS. It may have been the marathon and subsequent training loads but who knows !

James have you tried running recovery pace in place of those broken runs ? Really slow jog like 9-10 min/mile. I do them when needed and they are an important part of linking a week together. Some runners find them too slow but for older runners they help alot with injury prevention while still giving a fitness benefit. I usually do 4-5 miles for recovery, case in point this morning 5 miles at 6 min/km.

Sore legs today so a slow beach jog for me.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

Piwi, when I try to run steadily for 4-6 miles at recovery pace (8:30 or 9:00/mile), I almost always wind up speeding up after a mile or two to around 8:00-8:15/mile, which is faster than I want to go on easy days.  It takes a lot of conscious effort not to speed up, and my form seems to deteriorate when I'm doing this.  The stops make it a lot easier for me to stick to the slower pace, since I always start back slowly.  They also help with recovery.  About the only time I can hold recovery pace is during cooldowns after tempo or hill or interval workouts - in that situation it feels easy and right.

Flavio, we didn't go to Torres del Paine, but to the isolated Aysen area that's not quite as far south.  I went to Torres del Paine many years ago, and my originally-from-Chile wife wanted to go to the glacier & hot springs and other attractions in Aysen.  The other tourists were almost entirely Chilean, while Torres del Paine attracts a more international crowd.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

watsonc123

James - welcome back.

Mark - nice week.

Piwi - nice week and training half.

Flavio - fingers crossed for a lack of injuries in 2018.

Got my intended volume in.  Tuesday was hot, and was my first non-easy pace since October, so that was hard, and was only 5 * 400 metres, pace dropped a little on each set.  Thursday was also warm and humid, tempo of just 3km, which went pretty well, I sped up each tempo km.  And Sunday, was a "long" run, longest since October marathon.

This week will be a bit more volume.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
              Day Miles Pace Description Link
              Mon 3.7 8:14 Evening Run strava
              Tue 5.0 7:31 Afternoon Run - Incl. 5 * 400m circa 10k pace strava
              Thu 5.0 7:40 Evening Run - tempo 4.0km-7.0km strava
              Fri 5.1 8:38 Lunch Run strava
              Sat 5.0 7:32 Afternoon Run strava
              Sun 7.4 8:09 Evening Run strava
                31.2 7:58    

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Some pretty nice weeks showing up around here.

I missed some runs and am missing 20 miles from what I'd like to have, but I can say that having a treadmill is definitely saving my running.

Weekly Summary
                Monday, Jan 01, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 07, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                Mon 7.5 8:02 Keeping to the straight and narrow in 2018. 147 (75%) strava
                Wed 10.1 8:11 4 hawks & finally meeting the other local runner. 149 (76%) strava
                Sat 5.2 7:32 Not even close to a long run. 😓 2@ ~HM effort. 151 (77%) strava
                Sat 3.0 8:33 Q: What runs for 25 minutes and doesn't go anywhere? A: Me, on the treadmill. 3 easy. 145 (74%) strava
                Sun 7.6 10:59 Tonight's treadmill feature: John Wick. The Boogeyman must do cardio. 136 (69%) strava
                  33.4 8:41

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - my osteo's working theory is that it's just a case of everything inexplicably turning to crap 6-8 weeks after a marathon... she has seen it before with marathon runners and Ironmen (including an age grade world champ) even with good recovery protocols.  I think the Omaha HM was pushing it, but hell I like racing frequently and I've got a podium spot to defend in that series!

Watson - nice week, good to see you on the comeback trail and hope the knee and hip are feeling OK.

Flavio - I am switching up my leg workouts to include some more functional stuff as well.

Keen - loving those TM run descriptions!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Flavio sorry how do you mean about the littering ? You lost me there but Im old haha.

Mark we might be coming up thu/fri. If so I will do one run along Tamaki Drive out to Kelly Tarltons way. Would be early before 7am.

Keen ha yes very inventive on your Strava titles. I use default Morning Run...

Watson 30 mpw is a nice number. Enjoyed watching the cricket on tv at the Basin. Was windy of course. Bails were getting blown off. We have a good international venue for cricket now at Mt Maunganui.

James I have heard others say they cant run recovery pace as their form deteriorates etc. Ive never had a problem with it and my cadence does not drop much. Its about 176 at recovery as opposed to 180 at easy.

My legs were still sore today so ran slow down the beach at a dizzying 5.30/km hehe. Sundays run was very easy on my breathing, no where near tempo lactic pace  , but still trashed my legs which is likely due to no long runs over the last few months.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

jaimegu

Hi, all,

Keen: Welcome back. We are on the same boat, TM is the lifesaver.

Piwi:  Just wow!  You go for a training run/fitness test, no specific training, not even your regular volume, and beat the goal.

Mark: Happy for you, on the ITB

Watson: Good progress...A bit of patience until the volume is there

James:  Perhaps you answered the question yourself: If you are tired enough you can run recovery, then the key might be to smash the quality days, and run recovery after. But I tend to understand: Last year I went for a group long run, and the guy that invited me was suffering in every uphill to the point I was not running anymore, so I ended up leaving him behind for the last 10-15Km

Flavio: 35Km and a 10 miler is pretty good considering if you only ran a few days.

Me: Still confined in a treadmill in a local gym.  No creative names as Keen but more to reflect the TM distance which I consider more accurate as the footpod is not calibrated yet (and the internal Fenix2 calibration was lost when deleting 2016 activities. Also the VivosmartHR is only a fixed distance for running regardless of pace).  Overall, I have mixed feelings: good to be near to a 50 mpw mark, but I cut short the long run which I wanted to get 26Km... I just didn't want to crawl at the end and I was feeling a blister developing.

No speed or tempo, either. I need to get there soon.

Weekly Summary
                        Monday, Jan 01, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 07, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                        Tue 9.4 7:49 With footpod strava
                        Wed 8.1 7:43 13k Night Run strava
                        Thu 8.1 7:48 13k Night Run strava
                        Sat 10 7:42 16k w/ 1 min strides at the end strava
                        Sun 13 7:55 21Km Run strava
                          48.6 7:48    

James - welcome back from Chile. And headed to a college football national championship.  Living the life my man; that's awesome!

Rune - the Daniel's workouts sound tough.  I will be with you in the near future.

Jaime - I too am still confined to the treadmill.  Major snowfall a few days ago followed by another deep freeze.  Snow and ice everywhere. And -30 windchill.  It's brutal.

Me - I took a few days off as it seems I am developing Plantar Fasciitus again.  Only in both feet this time.  All the symptoms: the pain in the arches and around the ouside of my foot.  Really bad when I get out of bed in the morning.  I tried a golf ball massage the other days and it Killllled.  I have been crosstraining doing MMA class 3 times a week.  I took an incidental knee to the rib while grappling and I'm pretty sure it's bruised.  It was feeling a little better after two days full rest and I went back to class.  Of course (of course of course) it was a bad idea.  But I go stir crazy without running and this class.  The pain level is back up so I'm going to take a complete rest day and do only bag work at MMA and start jogging slowly in the next few days.  I'd like to get in a 14 week plan (abbreviated from Daniels' 16 week plan) for my HM in May.

Last week:

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                          Tue 6.3 8:51 Easy run plus 10 ST strava
                          Wed 6.9 8:41 60 minutes easy strava
                          Thu 4.1 9:22 Max HR test - not even a week ago but injury layoff seeming longer strava
                            17.3 8:55

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
                          2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi- I had planned to do some grass laps up at the Domain tomorrow (Thursday) and probably take a day off running Friday.  ITB seems to be coming right but I don't want to risk it - and have had the last two runs on the road.  You're welcome to join me up at the Domain though. I will start from Britomart and most likely be up there 6:15am or so.  I leave my phone behind when running (will start probably 6am) but I'll PM you my mobile number.

James - hope you are feeling better soon!  And hope you enjoyed the game too.  Some of the crowds they get for the big football games in the US are unbelievable.

Blair- bummer on the PF. Golf ball is a winner for that, according to my osteo (as is a frozen water bottle).  Hope it comes right for you soon.  I had a friend that used to be very into MMA.  Some awesome fitness from some of those athletes.

Jaime - just sticking it out for 21km on a TM is impressive even if you didn't hit the 26km!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

MarkFlavio, Piwi - Thanks! I typically just lost out whatever wildlife I see, but those sightings have been in short supply lately.

Jaime - Hi! I've been meaning to post a picture of the treadmill screen after my runs, but have just forgotten. I use a Stryd footpod, which has given a distance that's incredibly close to the actual treadmill distance. I'm still waiting on a chance to calibrate it at the local track.

Blair - Bummer about the PF. I've only had it once, but the golf ball thing really helped me. It sure did hurt, though.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4