Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Bravo Jaime. You will have sore legs this week. The cold really tightens up the leg muscles.

Jmac so do you jog slowly down to Central Park weaving through people and traffic ?

I dont own decent bad weather gear as its so mild here. I got caught out in that Half Mark and I did in 2016 as it was basically snowing during the race. I just left on my cap, gloves, and 2 shirts. My legs really seized up in the final 5kms. Judging by Franks strava run in Boston today the weather is perfect lol.

Flavio the ladies winner had a much more powerfull build which helped her muscle through.

I doubt I will ever get to Boston mainly due to cost. When our kids are grown up I could see my wife and I going to London plus I have brothers there so hopefully I get to run the London Marathon one day.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jaime - Congrats on a great race. I've been reading a lot about the race and watching pro interviews, and it's clear that the cold just sapped the energy out of everyone. One thing I never really appreciated til now is how a cold wet race really requires you to ramp up your caloric intake because your body is working SO hard to stay warm.

Piwi - I jog somewhat slowly there just because I'm warming up, but definitely not on the way back, yet my GPS always says I'm running about 1 minute per mile slower because it's so off. After running in NYC consistently for 3 years at this point, I've gotten very good at avoiding people and cars without slowing down!

Regarding the gear, everybody over on Letsrun is talking about how wool is actually the right choice. I can't believe that, but so many people are chiming in and agreeing. Apparently wool does a very good job of staying warm when wet (fancy sheep!) so that's the right layer to be wearing. Crazy stuff. Also, it's clear that being rail thin would not help you yesterday: a little bulk helps!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - One of the reasons wool is great is that it dries from the inside, out - rather than from the outside, in like cotton and a lot of other fabrics do. I have no idea where one would get a wool running shirt or shorts. Socks, yes, but nothing else.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Flavio the ladies winner had a much more powerfull build which helped her muscle through.

5'-1", 97 lbs. I guess powerful build is all relative though 

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

If I had to run in those conditions - and thankfully we almost never do in NZ (except that one Taupo race Piwi...), I would definitely say merino wool gear would be the go. I've got some already because it's a great base-layer for snowboarding.  I was wearing a merino long-sleeve top and Nike leggings to run when we were at Big White on holiday in snow and temps below freezing.  I was warm enough that I was breaking a good sweat even after 5km!

Icebreaker are a big brand here in NZ and I believe have a US storefront.  They make quite a bit of running specific stuff too and it's good quality.  Mons Royale are the other one, get used by a lot of pro snowboarders, but don't produce anything running specific (I can confirm it is perfectly good to run in though!!).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

We live in the land of the sheep so plenty of woolen garments are available here !

Rune haha that is light. I guess I was looking at the build of her legs compared to 2nd place African lady who looked much thinner.

JMAC I run embarrassingly slow for the 1st 1 or 2kms on all my runs just to get the old legs going. It brings my average pace down a bit but I would rather not force it. The 1st km of my fast long run was 4.50/km and felt just as tough as the 4.15/kms once I had warmed up.

Mark you would have cold weather gear totally sussed with all that snowboarding.

Im frothing to run as walking around my calf feels fine but hopping I can feel it. Might have to hit the old crappy bike !

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Icebreaker merino stuff is really good. I picked up some of their stuff really cheap about this time last year in preparation for a hunting trip last fall. Awesome base layer stuff, and great quality. I had no idea they made anything running-specific, though. I'll have to keep my eyes open for that.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Keen: I think this is their training/running range: https://www.icebreaker.com/en/mens-training  I haven't tried any of it specifically but have used their regular base layer gear - other than the running gloves which are great.  The other awesome thing about merino is it is naturally odor-resistant so it doesn't get smelly the same way a lot of training gear does!

Piwi- haha patience!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I did a 7km tester run this morning. After all I gave my calf 1 day off . Lovely morning at 6am no wind, clear skies and 9c. Felt ok no real pain just general soreness. I went real slow 6 min/km. Used my " safe route " which is never far from home if I need to abort. great when you need an emergency dump too 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I had another 2 great workouts in a row, 5x1K around 3:30 pace and a 20 minute tempo run where I averaged a 6:03/3:45 pace. With that info, I'm going to set an aggressive goal of a PR in my 5K, so Mark please add that to the board. I think I'll be happy with sub 18:15 though.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Good news with your calf Piwi! And I'm getting sick of taking emergency dumps.

Those training runs look great JMac. Go aggressive on your 5k!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Jmac i saw those workouts, bloody good job !

Rune i knew would relate to that haha.

Im in Auckland. Couldnt find any bargains at the factory shops but got some Nike Pegasus for $100 US which isnt too bad here.

Im still nursing my calf so just as well Im not running with Mark haha. Started off ok this morning but gets a bit sore after 3kms. Just a bruised feeling. Wasnt sure how far I would go and kept monitoring it. Ended up with a decent 19kms albeit slowly but dont feel any worse for it.

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - good stuff, it is such a good spot to run, probably the best in Auckland.  I had to get out early and get a run in before the wife went to work.  Ran up Greenhithe Bridge a couple of times which is basically a 1km hill that kicks up towards the end.  Now on Daddy Day Care duty and getting some extra mileage chasing my daughter around the park haha.  Fingers crossed that calf is OK.

JMac - done, those workouts are looking really promising!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark I saw your run. You have nice flat and hill options everywhere in Auckland. Im not so keen on the Southern motorway though ! Just spent a few tiring hours at Sylvia Park shopping centre.

London Marathon should be a good watch sunday evening our time.

Piwi one day off after a calf injury that had you walking home and you are running 19k a few days later

I am really looking forward to the London marathon this weekend. I have been watching a few teasers and cant wait!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!