Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Flavio I will add that endurance mainly comes from CONSISTENT mileage so you could probably do no speedwork but run 80 kms/week for a few months and still get faster. Of course speedwork really helps after that base is built and if you can handle it injury free then introduce some. Im hoping that my 3 x VO 2max ( including 5k race ) workouts over the last couple of weeks makes my tempo pace feel easier 

Steve nice week. You can run easy pace on the faster side if your mileage isnt too demanding. Once mileage gets up and you are running 6 or 7 days/week then slowing down easy pace really helps get you through the week. Im running some 5-5.30/km easy runs but can bang out a 5k like last weekend if needed.

Mick thats a nuisance for you with the injury. I remember the hop test. Had quite a bad running injury once which put me out for about 8 weeks and the hop test was the sure thing to see when my tendons had repaired themselves.

Rune thats good for you to know about that marathon and you can move on to the next one which will hopefully be measured correctly !

Keen looking forward to seeing your 5k PR going down. I enjoyed your near perfect rectangular run on Strava today 

My last half marathon with Mark in 2016 read short at 21.0kms and my last 10k was 9.8kms. Its pretty frustrating and I think its a combination of poorly measured courses  (as most events are not run by runners) and GPS error.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

runethechamp

Piwi - It’s hard to move on from that dumb marathon  . Looked some more at the certification of the course and one out and back turning point was definitely put farther out than the certification said. I walked there at my lunch break to confirm .

Rumors have it that Panamá is hot and humid. If I don’t post for a few days I might have turned into a wet spot on the pavement there.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Short Courses - I’m so lucky I’ve never had to deal with that. Not only are all of my courses USATF certified, they’re done by David Katz, who is probably the most famous and important course measurer in the country if not world. He lives locally in the NYC area so I am super lucky. He measured the Olympic marathon course, and yet he also measured the 5K course I’m running this weekend that has a few hundred runners.

Good article on him and course measuring for the interested: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/theres-more-to-measuring-an-olympic-course-than-just-measuring-it/

Edit: I think I’ve mentioned measuring before but now I can’t remember if I’ve sent out his article in the past. If I have, sorry for the memory loss...

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac I cant remember if you posted that already 

Thats a good read and how all courses should be measured but of course very few are in the big world. Luckily you live in an area where certification is more common. Looking at those little cones in the article still makes me nervous at how easily they can be blown or bumped around.

Rune I will look out for some Panama strava feeds from you.

watsonc123

Steve - are running Christchurch?  I might be.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Well done Flavio on the great race!!!

Everybody, thanks for all the good advice regarding training and races, I'll get back to it after the marathon next weekend end the relative recovery time.

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

me - I might be running a couple more HMs this year.

I think I should focus on tempo workouts. I clearly lack endurance at this pace.

I might not increase weekly mileage as much, but insert some nice 5 and 6 mile tempos, maybe some cruise intervals per Hansons (10s per mile faster than HM pace), done like 6x1 mile, 3x2, 2x3.

I’ve been running mostly easy running so I’ll have to be conservative on my approach to fast stuff.

What do yall think?

I think you can safely do all of those, including the 2x3.  I think that would be very helpful for concentration and strength when it comes to the half marathon.  You'll have to work to it, but if you're doing at least 40 miles a week, you can handle it.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - nice week.  At this stage, longer, easy runs will be great for building your endurance and there is no substitute for time on your feet.  Always a good sign if you are feeling fresh after 100 mins running.

JMac - thanks for that link - it was an interesting read.  I didn't actually realise there was an inbuilt short course prevention factor on certified courses too.  There are not that many certified courses in NZ and a few races could learn a thing or two here - as could Oakland by the sounds of it!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - are running Christchurch?  I might be.

I'm not unfortunately, got a wedding in Melbourne the night before so I subbed in the Waterfront Half...and now have to do the South Island half after that one didn't pan out.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

HELLO!

HELLO..

Hello...

hello..

I guess no body is around... 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It certainly is quiet.

I'm taking things easy this week. I know this board is all about consistency but I think a down week leading into my 5K on Sunday is the right move for me to give me the best chance at a PR. Forecast is looking like upper 50's and cloudy at the moment, although a bit breezy. I'm used to running 5K's in scalding hot heat, so this will be interesting.

I'm really upset though I had this stupid foot injury for a few months. I wonder what could have been if I hadn't stopped running for effectively 3 months, but I guess that's the way with running sometimes. Just gotta be happy that I'm healthy now.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Haha it's funny how we have a day of quiet posting and all of a sudden everyone's like HEY ITS QUIET!!  Actually kind of reflects well on the general level of activity on the thread.

JMac- never anything wrong with a quiet week pre-race.  As for the injury down period... I guess it is what it is.  Can't change it, so you've just gotta make the most of where you're at.  I sometimes wish I'd got into running at an age younger than 34, but hey, I'll take what I've got.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Sorry my bad guys for not my usual twice day posting 

Jmac the way I try to look at it is the injury break makes you hungrier and more motivated and allows your body a nice recovery period. Really looking forward to your 5k as you have so much natural speed.

Mark temps are so good as you say. Even my 4pm Tepuke runs are cool and easy.

Rest day for me today although I went kayak fishing. Yeah I know its a hard life.

Yesterday I doubled with 12km 6@tempo in the morning and 6kms recovery at 4pm while waiting for my son. When I did this last week the 2nd run sucked as my achilles were sore and I got some other weird foot pain. This time was fine though.

Ive got to be patient but my tempo pace is alot slower than when Im fitter. Still early days though.

Heres my Parkrun photo taken about 800m from the finish. Actually in the paincave here 

Piwi: great picture!!! If thats the pain cave then you are looking surprisingly good! But why would they take a picture at that spot with no background whatsoever other then a new wooden fence Smile

Jmac: I am injured at the moment and it sucks to think that this down time will haunt me even after I am back at it. Good luck on the 13th!

Mark: you are probably still some 10 minutes away from your best physically possible half time so no need to reminisce - just go to work Smile But I guess a lot of it has to do with mindest too - I used to play competitive Baseball. And I would never seriously consider to try and play it again - without constantly thinking - whoa I got old I used to do this easily and now I have a hard time with this. I would probably think the same way about running and not put nearly as much effort into it and appreciate the small but steady improvements. So in short I think its ok for me to start with this as an old fart. Hope this makes you feel better Smile

General question: my goal half is in mid September and I guess I wont really be back at running some serious miles before mid June. Should I just restart the JD half plan with about 12 weeks to go or should I do a 4-5 week 5k training plan to seriously work at speed and then do an abbreviated JD half plan. I am asking because I know that the tempo runs really increase my speed and I feel thats what I am missing most. That said with my current overuse injury I want to take it easy - 90 minutes will be too ambitious of a goal and I am aiming at breaking the 100. I will probably leave the 90 for 2019 Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!