Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Piwi - So that's what these park runs look like. It seems like you're just running in some guy's backyard. And if that's your pain cave, you need to be trying for sub 18 so we can really see what you look like in pain.

MJ - I gotta go with the neither approach. If you aren't really running now, you don't want to go into some serious training. You would need at least 6-8 weeks of base building before starting any plan. It sucks, but that's how injuries go. I follow the plan of it taking as many weeks to get back to where you were mileage wise as you were out. So if you plan on taking about 6 weeks, you would need 6 weeks of building back up. Although that's if you take full time off, what exactly is your plan between now and then?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mick - I'm with JMac on this one. If you were 100% healthy I'd say stick with the 12 week plan since the beginning is all I & R stuff, which should help with speed and strength.

Park runs - I really wish we had something like this in the states.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mick I was thinking excatly what Jmac said- base building is number one priority. Like I didnt do...but I was running about 20-30 km/week and I wasnt injured before my latest boost in mileage.

Jmac/Mick- Parkrun is pretty casual and you dont have a bib just a barcode that you carry and when you finish they give you some sort of chip which you give to someone else and they scan your barcode. You print out a sheet of barcodes when you register online. I got a couple of mine laminated and keep them in my wallet. Then you have it handy anywhere in the world you might want to run one. The photographer was just some dude i think and he put them up on Parkruns Flickr group. Its all free so cant complain. You can kinda get an idea of the gravel surface it was on. Some people run them every weekend and have 100 club badges by their names on the website. Seems to have a bit of a cult following and is a popular brand. Dogs on leads and strollers allowed too 

I was hurting in that pic but said to the photographer " pretending its not hurting  "

Also the photo confirms I have a big head and short legs so I will never be a sub 2.10 marathoner..............

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Keen: makes sense, thanks. Get to a good base and then follow the plan until mid September.

Jmac: I was at 35-40mpw (week 10 of 16 of the JD half plan) and wanted to run a warm up half in mid June. Then two weeks ago I started to feel my left calf and lowered mileage. I stopped running alltogether last Sunday. I am going back for another x ray in 2 weeks and if its not a stress fracture the doctor said I could slowly start to run again. I will start cycling next week so fitnesswise I should be fine. So if its not really really bad I should be back at an ok base by mid June. and then have 12 weeks to prep for the goal race.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Assuming you're out for 3 weeks total, that gives you 3 weeks of getting back to 35-40 mpw.

Personally, I think trying to rush back from injury and then right into an intense JD plan is setting you up for more injury. However, if you are ready to take that risk, then I think 12 weeks is more than enough to handle Phases II-IV of his plan. People often want to rush into speed work, but nothing helps out times like mileage. Just spending time building up from 40 to 50 mpw will help you more than sticking to 35 mpw and implementing speed work. I would throw in some tempo work maybe 6 weeks out, but other than that, not sure interval work will help you as much and puts you at incremental injury risk.

Piwi - In the general population, I'm pretty thin (5'9 and 140-145 lbs) but there's this guy in central park that runs past me all the time doing faster work around 5:30 miles and he must be 5'9 and at most 125 lbs. He could possibly be 115 for all I know. Great for running to have that body, but boy I would not trade in for 115 lbs just to run a bit faster. I'll take the non-skeleton look (although I think most of America would consider me to be one). This guy though looks like a strong breeze could knock him over. At least the guys that are 6'2 and 150lbs have the gift of being tall.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

MJ- I agree with what others have said here.  I was out 8 weeks with an injury a couple of years ago.  It took me a good 6-8 weeks to build a platform although the fitness did come back reasonably quickly after that.

Rune - loving the pics on Strava of your Panama trip!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Injuries suck...what sucks even more is over-doing it and turning it into a much longer lay off, a lesson I've learned too many times.

When I come back from injury now (if it's more than a couple of weeks), I'll start with 20 mins of 1 min jogging, 1 min walking and slowly build up from there.  It's 2-3 weeks of frustration because I really want to lift it, but after that I can build up pretty quickly.

On Wednesday I added some tempo back into my training for the first time since The Disaster of Mission BayTM, and felt really good.  I did about 15km with just 3km @ tempo which was 4:07, 4:10, 4:09 and an overall pace of 4:39 and again it felt easy enough.  I was a bit surprised how great I felt but then thought about it - I built up to the race for 3 months and have spent a month of doing easy running but slowly increasing the mileage so I SHOULD be fit, close to as fit as I've ever been.  I guess it's just the race that's knocked my confidence.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I am about 6'2", and if I'm REALLY careful about what I eat I might could get to 150 by my fall marathon (not sure I would want to, though). Running against the wind makes me feel like a sail and I've been a little jealous of tiny people who just seem to power through that.

Steve - Nice tempo. It certainly is nice to find you're in better shape than you thought, especially after a race that didn't go as planned.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I am about 6'2", and if I'm REALLY careful about what I eat I might could get to 150 by my fall marathon (not sure I would want to, though). Running against the wind makes me feel like a sail and I've been a little jealous of tiny people who just seem to power through that.

Wow! Way to make me feel fat at 145 at 5'9. Jeez.

Marky_Mark_17

Wow! Way to make me feel fat at 145 at 5'9. Jeez.

Way to make me feel fat at 163 / 5'10" 

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I actually really started gaining weight with my injury. I have never gained weight in my life, and I thought the scale was just broken. But then I weighed myself elsewhere and noticed it in the belly.

The benefits of running 50 MPW: I can go back to eating like a fat kid 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Park runs - I really wish we had something like this in the states.

/Delurking.

We do.    There's now at least four separate park runs in the DC area each Saturday.

If there's none in your area, it's just because nobody's started one.  So you could start the one for your area.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

The benefits of running 50 MPW: I can go back to eating like a fat kid 

^^ this.

I generally eat pretty well, but there's nothing like a 25km long run to justify donuts and maybe some pizza!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Ok enough of the weight talk you fatties 

Darkwave thanks for that info.

Steve sounds like you are in nice shape.

Jmac I looked up Ritzenheims stats as I liked the way he runs front running and kinda how I dream I look  and hes my height but 117lbs !

Ok I will bite...Im at 149lbs with belly fat and 5'8...

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - thanks, I remember those M-pace runs helping me a lot when I was training for the 50k.

MJ - forget about training plans for a while. Races as well.

Just run easy stuff when the body allows you to do so.

Mark - flag that nutjob haha.

Jmac - thanks for the advice. i have done the 2x3 miles in the past and it was tough but doable. We’ll see. It’s too far ahead right now.

Piwi - most all of the fast runners have big heads and short legs. What’s your next excuse haha.

You don’t really look like in a pain cave.

Abe - thanks for the advice.

Jmac/Mark/Keen - you guys talking about fat, please hold my beer. You're all so skinny! I'm very jealous of you guys. I'm at 17% body fat and I can grab a handful of my belly fat 

me - the race did a lot of damage. I had to take 2 days off. damage to quads, hamstrings, glutes and calves. I'm going to run 35km this week counting a 10k race Saturday night where I had hopes of running sub 40. The next week is also going to be a recovery week to see if I can shake this funk out.

As for pain cave, here are the official requirements:

- Warm weather, bonus points for being above 30c/86f

- out of breath, heart rate above 95%

- blisters

- muscle pain and tiredness

- daydreaming

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly