Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Jaime welcome back. Have you moved to Sweden or will you be going back to Canada ?

Bummer about the injury. I guess you have checked your shoes are good etc. What is D+ ?

Mick thats sounds interesting. I guess its better to collapse and not be able to walk/run than die of overheating.

James good call on taking a down week. Your tempo pace seems good as that is sub 1.28 half marathon pace.

Pouring here this morning and a long run to do.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

jaimegu

D+: uphill

D-: Downhill

I will be back to Montreal by the end of June.  It's a 3 month assignment.  Gothenburg is a very nice city but  I'm missing my home.

Everyone is a runner here, and next weekend will be that world's biggest half... bu I have no plans to run that fast or that long.

The freaking injury comes from running downhill at the end of a wet, windy and cold Boston Marathon.  As I mentioned in the RR, after the Newton Hills, I sped up but it was short lived, my upper thighs became very stiff and I ran thru that.  At some point my knee started complaining but no way I was going to stop. 

Right now, I don't know if it's my knee or if it's my quad that is wrong.

Jaime ouch marathons can do that. Gotcha on the D+ just never heard the term. That half will be quite an experience.

Mark hope your cold is on the way out. Hawkes Bay Marathon yesterday. A local lady here won the half in 1.26 and got a cool $1000 

My long run done and dusted so thats 5 x 80km weeks and 2 x 70km weeks in the log going back the last 7 weeks. Just the start of some CONSISTENCY hopefully !

Weekly Summary
        Monday, May 07, 2018 thru Sunday, May 13, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 7.5 7:51 Afternoon Run strava
        Tue 6.2 9:01 Morning Run strava
        Wed 7.5 7:30 Morning Run with 6k tempo strava
        Wed 3.7 9:05 Killing time double day strava
        Fri 6.2 8:01 Morning Run strava
        Sat 6.2 9:16 Morning Run strava
        Sun 12.4 8:04 Morning Run strava
          49.7 8:18    

Marky_Mark_17

Re nausea - although I often get nerves before races, I've never really had an issue during the race, except the Taupo Half where I had a decidedly dodgy stomach for the last ~3km and had to dash to the bathroom after the race.  I think it was something I'd eaten rather than race-related though as it felt a bit dicey overnight before the race.

In terms of the pain cave, I actually haven't really struck this on HM's since the North Shore Half last year, when I was actually still getting rid of a cold and definitely overcooked it.  I'm not sure whether it's training, perceived effort, or the fact that once you've had to battle at the tail end of a marathon, 21km doesn't seem so bad.  I definitely was sucking in the big ones during that 5k race last November but that was just usual 5k pain!

James - nothing wrong with a light week every now and then to give the body time to recover!

Jaime - good to see you around and hope that knee injury is not too bad.

Piwi - nice week (and great CONSISTENCY!).  Haha I think you just pipped me this week because I cut my LR a bit shorter than planned.  Yeah I saw some of the winning times... the guy that won the HM was fairly sharp but the 10k times were nothing to write home about tbh.  I wouldn't do that race again, it's a scenic course but actually quite slow and definitely a lifestyle race.  They start the 10km first so the last 2-3km of the HM is horrible trying to weave around 10k walkers.

Me - came down with a little bit of a cold after a crazy busy week at work.  It's not too bad and seems to be on the way out already, but I still cut my LR short (had planned 2 hrs but was more like 1:35) to stay on top of it.  I probably should've seen it coming as Thursday's workout was a bit of a battle tbh.

M: weights

T: 11km easy

W: 13.1km easy with a few hills

Th: 15.5km incl. 2 x 10 min at HMP

F: day off (travelling for work)

S: 15.9km incl. a few track efforts

S: 22km easy

Total: 77.5km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jaime - welcome back. If you can, look for professional help for your injury. Not a doctor necessarily, but someone who understands movement and can help you diagnose the root cause.

Enjoy Sweden.

James - you are progressing nicely. Keep the conservative approach.

Piwi - 50 miles a week and doing doubles!

Mark - hopefully that cold goes away soon.

me - back from the 10k. 39 minutes and change.

There were a total of 5000 people between the 5k and the 10k. It made for passing a huge wave of hobby joggers, we were still passing people at the 6k mark.

Right around 3k maybe a friend of mine came to my side and said “Tonight I’m running a sub 40 10k”. We ran together all the way to 7k and it was nice to have company, it makes running definitely easier.

Also having to pass a lot of people made it easier as well.

My heart rate was in the perfect spot all the way to 8.5K and I never went into the red zone.

Overall a very nice experience.

Weather was around 16c which definitely helped.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio huge congrats on the sub 40, well paced too. Thats alot of runners in a 5/10k for sure. So did your mate make sub 40....

Mark still a solid week considering you are under the weather. Yeah i remember you saying Hawkes Bay was a bit of a mish mash and slow. The Tauranga Marathon is pretty similar with lots of gravel track etc. I prefer big city Marathons with atmosphere and road running.

My 12 year old is addicted to the online Game Fortnight which he plays on his Playstation. Its got pretty bad and they were talking about it on the news the other night so we are not alone. Ive told him he has to run 1km around the block to earn 1 hours play. Hes run 3kms today so far.....

watsonc123

Piwi and Mark - nice weeks.

Flavio - nice sub 40.

Jamie - welcome back.

My week was good, pretty much the same volume as Piwi and Mark.  It was actually my biggest week this year.  I was going to do 20km today, but decided to do 18km like the previous Sunday (as that had knocked me around a bit).  Right now, my easy pace is about 8:00/mile which is all fine, but my top end pace is slow - my interval and tempo pace is around 15s/km or 24s/mile slower than I'd like.

I will be running the half at Christchurch on 3 June.  Aim is TBD.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                Mon 6.2 8:02 Evening Run strava
                Tue 7.6 7:35 Windy Lunch Run - Incl. 10 * 400m intervals strava
                Thu 8.7 7:42 Morning Run - tempo 4.0km-11.0km strava
                Fri 7.6 7:49 Morning Run strava
                Sat 7.5 8:11 Afternoon Run strava
                Sun 11.2 8:16 Afternoon Run - MLR strava
                  48.8 7:57    

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - crushed it in that 10k despite having to dodge the crowds, awesome stuff!!

Piwi - sounds like a fair deal with your son haha

Watson - nice week and I've added CHC to the race list.  Hopefully you get better weather than they had last year!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Piwi: great idea for the junior. You know what I probably did things at that age that were much worse especially since we didnt have any playstations. So I think its great that you are incentivising him to run to earn his playtime. A colleague of mine just told me about fortnight and that his son stopped eating and they are gaming in groups. Must be a great game Smile btw great 20k workout especially in view of the climb.

Flavio: your hr was pretty low for the effort. Its probably because of the mild conditions. Like when Kenians descend from 3000 meter altitude to sea level to run a race Smile

Jmac: great race. Thats a fantastic time. Thats probably the 2nd best time here on this thread? Anyways well done!

Jaime: sorry to hear that....really hope you will recover soonest!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Watson solid week. The fitness will return just keep these weeks going for a few months.

MJ sounds like a worldwide problem with that game. Hes got quite an addictive personality, probably similar to me  . That can be good for running when you run everyday.

Just saw Jmacs 5k result on Strava and he crushed it sub 18 and fast finish. Looks like hes got plenty more to come with PRs in all distances.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Nice work Flavio.  And good luck to those battling injuries, it's a really tough time mentally.

Interesting comments on willingness to go into the pain cave after a disaster.  My second half was supposed to be sub 90 but I started to struggle at 14km and it soon became a death march to a 1:33 which really doesn't describe the pain I was in.  The following year I felt in great shape and felt tremendous during the run.  With 5km to go I was 40 seconds down on sub 90 pace but knew I had it in me to step it up.  Because of the previous year I delayed and delayed really ramping it up and when I did I felt like I could do anything, and could have kept running when I finished.  I went sub 90 by 17 seconds and was really happy...and then a few days later started wondering what I could have done if I'd gone earlier.  Hopefully something similar happens in my next race after the last debacle, but there will definitely be some trepidation and mental scars.

Had a good week, starting to feel really fit and a bit depressed seeing all the ChCh Marathon signs around town but such is life.  I have 12 weeks until the South Island half in Ashburton and if I can stay healthy I should be able to really enjoy it with the base I've got now.

My week was:

Monday         70 mins easy  (14.65km @ 4:50 min/km)

Tuesday        Weights

Wednesday   70 mins with 3km tempo (15.33km @ 4:39 min/km tempo pace of 4:07, 4:09, 4:10)

Thursday       60 mins stationary bike

Friday            Weights

Saturday        110 mins easy (22.89km @ 4:51 min/km)

Sunday         Weights

Having read some of the previous comments about tempo being key, I'm going to try and bring some tempo into all of my easy runs (except when I add a Thursday recovery run).  Last week my long run was 100 mins and I felt fresh - this week I felt good but did start to feel it in the last 10-15 mins and was pretty shattered afterwards.  I never take food or water and I think that length of time is getting a bit borderline for that strategy.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Race Report - McNamee 5K

Wasn’t planning on writing a race report, but with a new PR, feel like it’s obligatory .

I spent the good part of the week doing a mini-taper into this race (will post weekly next), but I was pretty burned out at the end of last week. I knew that my workouts indicated I may be in sub 18 shape, but I figured I could go for it in my “peak” race in a couple of weeks.

With that in mind, and the fact that I positive split my last 10K, I decided going in that my race plan was for a 5:50 first mile and hopefully pick it up from there.

Pre-Race

After one too many drinks Friday night (I’m usually very good about avoiding alcohol the week of a race, but this was a special dinner on the calendar for a while), my Saturday was a bit tough. I went to sleep super early though and got a full 9 hours of sleep because I was so tired, so I guess sometimes drinking 2 nights before is good because you can sleep so easily!

I arrived at the race and got my bib. This was a smaller race than I’m used to, so I got to once again warm up with free reign and get to the start line just a couple of minutes beforehand. My legs felt pretty good during my warm up, so I didn’t push the warm up mileage.

The course is completely flat, which is the first time since I started running again a few years ago that I have run a course like this. Also, the weather was perfect: low 50’s and cloudy. I basically could not ask for better conditions to PR, especially since the day was about 20 degrees below average for this time of year.

First Mile - 5:53

As I stated, goal was to go out in 5:50. The horn sounded and off we went. Of course, especially in these charity 5Ks, you see all sorts of people at the front that make you shake your head. I saw one guy line up at the starting line that looked like he could be Santa Claus at the local mall in his spare time with the belly he was rocking. I even saw someone vaping before the start! As expected with this sort of motley crew, people were blowing by me right at the start. I saw the two lead women go out, along with about 50 other people in front. Of course, I knew half of these people were going to enter the pain cave fairly soon and I didn’t sweat it given I had a game plan going in. I felt like I was running moderately hard, but that my pace was creeping around the 5:55 number as we got near the mile marker Immediately, alarm bells started going off and I said “well maybe it’s not my day again.”

Second Mile - 5:45

At this point, I still felt like I was running very hard and yet the pace wasn’t coming down. I did however start passing a significant amount of people at this point. I made sure to keep on the shoulder of one guy for a good 800 meters or so as there was a slight breeze, while also allowing him do all of the work of pacing. I also passed Santa Claus, who sounded like he was trying to climb up a chimney with 80 pounds of toys on his back at this point in the race. As I was nearing the second mile marker though, I started to realize something which seems so obvious now: I should already be feeling gassed at this point in a 5K, but I was nowhere near it. My legs still felt great, and although I felt like I was “working” hard, I realized it wasn’t really that hard for a 5K. However, once the second mile ticked off at 5:45, I figured my shot of a PR was done and I just wanted to come home in sub 18:15.

Last 1.1 Miles - 5:30

Once I realized how good I felt, I decided to slowly start picking it up. I used the lead woman as motivation (yeah it’s stupid but whatever works for motivation I’ll take). After I caught her and passed her, it was no man’s land. The next person was at least 150 meters in front of me, so I knew I had no chance of catching him, so I just started thinking about what my legs felt like in some of those 1200 meter repeats and how they felt then. I knew that I still had enough in me to get to the finish at this faster pace, so I started really trying to give it my all with about 400 meters left. This is where those workouts really helped: if I hadn’t maybe pushed myself a bit too hard the past few weeks, I don’t know that I would have been as successful mentally, because I knew that what I was feeling now was no worse than what I felt in those workouts and I could certainly keep it up.

We could see the clock with about 200 meters to go, and I realized it would require a mad dash to get a PR. I absolutely floored it when I saw 17:30, but my stomach was getting to the point where another 400 meters may have led to vomiting. But, I thought a PR was totally worth it, and just kept going. It’s amazing: at first I saw the clock at 17:40 and said “I’ve got this!” But it felt like the clock was ticking way too quickly and realized with only a bit to go that I was barely going to get him under my PR.

Crossed the line at 17:51 for a 4 second PR!

Takeaways

My biggest takeaway is that I forgot what 5Ks feel like! I had no idea where I should be pain cave wise throughout the race, which led to the interesting pacing throughout. Of course, I’m very happy with a PR, but I think I can do even better taking this new mental knowledge with me and trying to do a bit better on pacing. I’ll still go for a negative split, because every single PR I’ve ever run has been one, but I’ll be a bit more aggressive in the first mile. I was so scared of blowing up or failing like I did in my 10K 5 weeks ago that I was probably a bit too conservative going out. It’s certainly not ideal to have a 23 second difference between the first and last mile: something closer to 10 seconds is what I was shooting for. However, a PR is a PR and I’m very happy! Time to really sharpen up for the next 2.5 weeks. I want to go for another PR, but it’s going to be in Central Park (hills) and most likely much warmer, so it’ll be tough to go back to back.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - Congrats again on a great back to back with sub 90 and sub 40.

Piwi/Mark - I’m getting tired of you two running with so much consistency. Can someone just put up a 100 KM week please?

Jaime - Good to see you again, hope you recover. I went through 3 months of injuries after my full and it was very depressing.

Watson - Keep up the good work, hopefully we see some consistency.

Steve - No need for tempo in every run. Once a week is plenty. I would try to limit tempo pace to 10% of weekly mileage, although 15% is probably okay every once in a while.

Me - Not much else to say after the race report. Going to go for a few more big workouts, but keeping the long runs on the lighter side and trying to get the legs even fresher for my peak race on May 31. It’s a 3.5 mile race, but I think I can still go for the equivalent 5K PR in it (what’s 0.4 miles anyway).

Weekly Summary
                            Monday, May 07, 2018 thru Sunday, May 13, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                            Mon 6.0 7:56 Baltimore is actually nice for running! strava
                            Tue 7.9 7:39 Evening Run strava
                            Wed 7.3 7:39 3x1T Tune Up strava
                            Thu 6.3 7:34 Evening Run strava
                            Sat 4.0 7:50 Evening Run strava
                            Sun 1.9 8:19 Morning Run strava
                            Sun 3.1 5:41 McNamee 5K: 4 second PR! strava
                            Sun 0.8 8:21 Cool down strava
                              37.3 7:35

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - nice RR and well done on the race and PR.  You really paced that extremely well and finished with your quickest km of the race.  There is nothing quite like the pain that you get at the tail end of a 5km race!  It is great to see you hitting PB's already after coming back from injury.

Steve  - nice week and I'd echo JMac's comments about not needing a tempo block in every run.  As a general rule of thumb, ~80% (or more) of your total mileage each week should be easy.  In general I'd tend towards fewer, slightly longer tempo blocks, rather than more frequent but shorter ones.  Incorporating tempo blocks in a long run is actually quite a good way to keep them interesting!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks guys, so at this stage I'll keep my tempo to 3-5km on a wednesday - hopefully I can get that to 10km over the next month or so.

Mark, can you add my new target race to the front page?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024