Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I'm surprised that you guys all say that you let the hill take you. Maybe I wasn't clear though: these hills were 6% grade over an entire mile, meaning that there were downhill sections that are 10%+ in grade. I don't see how you can go down those without slowing down. I agree on a normal hill (something in the 2-4% range), you can just let the hill take you. You'll get up to a nice, controlled "sprint." But 10%? Do you guys really let the hill just take you at that sort of grade? I feel like if I did that, I would have been running at effectively a full sprint and out of control. Maybe I'm just bad at it like you all said!

Flavio - I've done those exercise with PT before, except using an exercise ball. Does a great job working the glutes. Reminds me I need to be good about strengthening over the next month before I get into serious marathon training.

Race Day - Today is race day for me. Glutes still tight/weak, although the soreness has dissipated. I'm still not convinced I can hit a PR though given how beat up I was the past few days plus the lack of good taper training into the race. We shall see. Race is at 7 PM tonight. I need to go sub 20:05 in this goofy 3.5 mile race in order to get a new 5K PR. Would be ecstatic to break 20:00 given what this past week has been like, but I'll be okay with anything sub 20:30.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - thanks, I workout!!

Jmac - stop with the excuses, PR or bust!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - I'm targeting the White River Marathon on Nov 17. It's a pretty small race (~750 combined between M, 1/2M and 5k), but it's a very flat, fast course (though usually only has 1-2 people between 2:55-3:00. Not too scenic as it's a multiple out-and-back on a river trail, but I'm just wanting to use it as a BQ try for 2020. I also need to get a plan setup - I'm thinking Daniels' 18-week 2Q.

JMac - Get some!!!! Hopefully the glutes cooperate. I'll keep my eye on Strava later looking for the entry. 
        I kind of wish my company would do something like this. The office is right on a river trail and from the gate to the trail to a cul-de-sac on the trail before a bridge and back is extremely close to being 5k on the dot, so it would be very easy to setup. Then again, there would be a severe lack of competition (and likely participation overall) as there isn't really a culture of fitness at all around my work.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Kick some ass JMac!!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

watsonc123

Good luck JMac.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Jmac the very steep downhills I have are not that long, less than 300m then there will be less steep bits to recover on. I dont always go hard out but often jog very slow, its either very slow or very fast. You cant go moderate on the very steep downhills as you start to speed up to sprint unless you are braking hard. You develop muscles that keep you in control to a point. I was really bad at steep downhiills when i started. Ive done a King of the Mount race twice and both times have left me injured for about 8 weeks after. One was hipflexor/groin injury and the other achilles. You would need to do these once per week to stay on top of the steep downhills.

Have a fun race dont stress the PR we know you have been in great form and if you are sore we understand.

Keen good to have a target race. What surface is that trail ? Have you looked at Pfitz 18/70 or is that a dinosaur plan now 

Friday here. Still havent signed up for sundays 10k. I think i will do it for race toughness and just been in an event. Time will be slow due to course hills/stairs and forecast 20-30 knot winds. I did a tester 2 x 2k today which is a bit close I know but needed to test my lungs after having the cold.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac- good luck!!!

And yeah, 10% grades are definitely too steep to ride the hill!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Everything on the course is asphalt. Road for the first ~1 mile, then river trail for the rest. The only hill is a downhill in the second half of the first mile, losing about 200ft/61m (just eyeballing that off the elevation chart). I'm not used to running on something so flat, so starting this Saturday I'm planning on doing all of my LRs around one of the local lakes or river trails. The local running club will end up doing some runs at those locations later in the summer, so I can use those for support. Otherwise I'll be running them solo since I'll be skipping the group runs when they do a hilly route. Only making some of the group LRs, coupled with likely doing workouts as part of some of those runs means this is going to be a lonely training cycle!
                  I think Pfitz is going by the wayside for me, at least for now. I responded really well to Daniels' for my spring half training cycle so I don't see a reason to shake that up.
                  Good luck in the 10k, assuming you run it!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Me - May ended up being my second biggest month of all time @362km (last July was 400km).  Didn't go out intending for that to be the case but that's just how it ended up with some good long runs in there and consistency across weeks.

Yesterday I was wondering why you would say this when it wasn't even the end of the month yet, then after a couple of hours I realized it was, for you . I ended up with my biggest month all time this May, just beating out my mileage from April. I had 160.3 miles in April (258 km) and 166.6 miles in May (268 km). If I can stick with my plan in June I should easily be able to beat that number again.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Rune we are in the future here 

Keen thats good asphalt much better than gravel for 42kms. Ive done 2 x Pfitz 18/70 and it got me what I wanted but I have never tried any other plans.

Nice job by Jmac results on Strava.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Jmac ran a pretty fast 5.6k! CONGRATS

Rune: the town is on fire! Lets see if LeBron is broken after last night! Good month despite all that travel.

Piwi: Captain future Smile

Mark: great effort! Consistency...what is it all good for though? What are your aiming for next?

Flavio: safe travels.

Me: 4.5k test jog and eventhough its subliminar I still feel pain around the calf. So will see a PT and will do pool running and cycling.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

watsonc123

JMac did well.  Maybe a tad quick at the start?

Mark and Rune - nice months volume.

Piwi - good luck.

Watson - good luck for your half even if everyone else has forgotten you're racing too.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

I think Jmac had to start with a sprint to avoid the crowd - I have done a Corporate Challenge once and thats what I did at least.

Watson: just got to add you on strava. Completely missed it - you have Christchurch coming up. Weather seems much better than in the North. While race day seems to be overcast and dry the North will see a fair amount of rain. Good luck with the race and I definitely look forward to the race report!!!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Weekly training is going good so far.  Got in a 6 miler last night which put me at 176 for the month of May.  By far my highest monthly total. 

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

I do not have much to respond, definitely congratulations on the training, and good luck Piwi with the recovery for the race. JMac, well done Smile

To continue my recovery and "legs-testing" after the bad Lux marathon (which felt a bit like an unfinished business after months of training), this morning I tested my legs on a tempo run for half marathon PR pace (~7' per mile). Hopefully the distance and time was ok (feedback welcome).

I went for a bit more than 8 miles run, with 2 slow miles to warm up, 4 tempo miles at 7', and 2 cool down miles avoiding to job (about 8'per mile). it went well, no sore legs and I wasn't too tired at the end. i am pleased on how I am recovering.

Given the feeling of unfinished business after Luxembourg and this morning's test, I have signed up for the (evening again) Half Marathon on the 20th (on a Wednesday!!!) of June. It's a flat race and, if I am serious with my goal of a bus 90' HM in September, I need to test my legs before summer anyway...

However, I do not have a lot of sessions between now and then, probably a couple of intervals and a couple of tempo run. But it will help me experience the 7' per mile for as long as I can take it, and will help me getting a bit faster after the marathon preparation with too much emphasis on slow, long run and too little speed, interval and tempo run (I did not do any intervals for the whole Northern Irish winter...).

I am not sure how I will train in the coming week. For this week, I'd like to finish above 40 miles (I am at 25 now, I plan for a long run tomorrow and a slow recovery on Sunday). Next week, I'd like to keep it there, aiming for 50, but I will be travelling for work to Amsterdam (who went there recently? any suggestions?)... so I'll take what I can...

Then I only have 10 days to the race, so probably I will be tapering again with some interval in the early stages.

After the HM I will aim to bring miles back up with consistency, contributing to the community total count (since you were complaining about it in the last few days Wink )

have a great weekend

Marco

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???