Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks everyone. 20:16 official for a 5:47 pace. I needed to go 5:44 for a new PR, but given a) course is way hillier b) it was 100% humidity with a TDP of 130 c) there are 15K people that run this and d) I had a terrible taper week, I'm actually very happy.

In terms of pacing, the first K does require you to get out a touch fast. Also, I didn't want to make the same mistake I did in my last 5K of being too conservative. I put the first mile at exactly the pace I wanted, so I wasn't concerned. It's also a downhill section, so you're going to go faster than your expected pace.

The third K has the worst hill of the course, which is about 100 feet uphill, which is why I slowed so much. After the hill, you have about 1.5 miles to go. I felt great at this point, but when I had to start climbing the hills again that occur during miles 1.5-3.0, I knew that I wasn't going to have a PR effort in me. I was climbing the hills at a 6:00-6:05 pace, which was not where I should have been at.

The final 0.5 mile is completely downhill, so it's easy to kick in as fast as I did.

I will say that running a hilly 5K is harder than I remember. I think running hilly marathons is actually easier, just because it's a lot easier to just slog through the slow miles, whereas with a 5K, you get so tired so fast that it's very hard to deal with the pain.

I'll take all of this as a positive going into marathon training. I do have another 10K in 2 weeks, but not sure I'll be in PR shape for that because I'm going back into more mileage before that and will not taper into it as a "peak" race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Congrats on the mileage (kilometerage?) PR.

JMac - Way to go! There are some seriously fast people at your company.

Cfarr - Kudos to you as well on the mileage PR.

Marco - Careful ramping mileage that quickly.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I'm considering jumping into a 5k on Sunday since the temperature should "only" be ~60F/15.5C and the course should be pretty flat. Given how warm things are getting this early in the year (today was 80F/26.6C by 6am) this may be my best opportunity to get a race in before starting marathon training next month.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Watson - Good luck in your race! Saturday or Sunday?

Marco - Make sure you don't increase distance or speed too quickly after your race.

JMac - Great race, especially considering it was a hilly one! I feel like I need a at least a hard workout or two before I can jump into any racing again since I have no idea where I am with respect to racing form right now. I was thinking about doing a trail race or two now in June but I've now realized the planned races don't fit into my schedule at all.

Mick - Yes, that was an exciting game last night! They have set up a big thing for TV broadcasting right next to the lake I run around at lunch. Haven't spotted any stars yet though.

Piwi - Are you paying attention to the NBA playoffs now that OKC are out? Warriors up 1-0 in the finals!

Keen - Sounds like a good opportunity to do a race. Do it!

Wasn't there a somewhat lengthy discussion about Adidas shoes on this thread a while ago? I can't seem to find it anymore. Reason I'm asking is that I picked up a pair of Boston 6 and so far I like them. Very big contrast to the Hokas I usually run around in.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Mick let us know how PT goes.

Watson sorry. Good luck at the race. Will be a good benchmark hit out to see where you are at. Looks like we are copping the worst weather up here.

Marco a half already ! Its hard to keep a good man down.

Jmac hills and 5ks do not mix well. VO2max running is so finely paced that any hill messes with you. Nice job once again.

Rune yes I saw the game. The Cavs totally messed the end of regular time and had a good chance to win. That was a big moment.

Im feeling prettt good now but still have a persistent cough. Forecast is a shocker for my 10am sunday race with 30 knot winds and heavy rain. Might be survival out there.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Rune yes I use Adidas and love Boston 6 very light and fast for a trainer. So comfy.

I got them as well from the same place as piwi (wiggle). I shouldnt have run downhill in them. It agravated the calf pain Smile they are racing flats though. Does Hoka also offer any? I didnt like my Cliftons due to the low drop...

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

I would class Bostons as a trainer rather than flats but i would wear them in a marathon too. Adios is more of a racer.

runethechamp

So if I were looking for their next step from the Boston towards long training runs and a bit more cushioning, what would that model be?

Getting back into it

Looking at Running Warehouse it suggests Energy boost or Supernova but I havent tried either. I can 100 % recommend Nike Pegasus for high mileage.

runethechamp

Thanks Piwi. Good luck tomorrow!

Getting back into it

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - good luck, sorry has been a crazy week at work and was helping the sister in law move today so have been a bit of an infrequent poster.

JMac - nice job in what sounds like miserably humid running conditions.  And yeah I always found those hills really niggly in a 5km or 10km.  You kinda want to be able to just hit a pace and lock it in but in a short race like that it does mess with your rhythm a bit.

Piwi - good luck with the 10k!  Hopefully the weather isn't too miserable.

Rune - sorry I am on help on Adidas shoes, they are too narrow for ducks like me and Flavio.

Marco - don't push it too much on that HM! (I made that mistake fairly soon after a marathon and paid for it).  Also - weeknight half marathon races - wasn't even aware they existed!!

Keen - I'd give it a go.  Take advantage of the conditions!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

If you are looking for adidas trainers then the energy boost are great for longer runs. And since you run on gravel & rainy conditions sometimes, they come with a Continental sole - this is a European tire manufacturer - that gives them a good grip.

Disclaimer: i am not a sales rep or otherwise associated to adidas Smile

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ - Adidas shill detected!!! LOL jk, hopefully you get better soon. I was out for almost 18 months in total counting non running weeks and weeks I could only run 20 miles.

Piwi - no excuses, go run that 10K hard, sub 40 or Gaga!

Mark - All ducks unite against the narrow shoe oppressor!

jmac - will you enter another 5k soon? You're clearly in PR shape, the only question is if you're going to the well too often, but since it's a 5K I suppose you should be fine.

me - 20km long run with some hills to close the week at 49km. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to run next week with all the sight seeing and traveling.

The girlfriend already said that my intentions of running is so I can sabotage her walking endlessly around shops in the afternoon by claiming I'm too tired.

But she also acknowledged she will gain weight if we don't run.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Hey Guys.  Back into the fold here.  Cool to read all the familiar names from last year.

I've signed up for the Chicago Marathon and I'm looking at peaking at 80mpw following Daniels Plan A.  

I've got a HM scheduled on July 22 and I'll be consulting you guys soon about what pace to aim for.   Keep in mind that I do not plan on tapering for HM, I'm choosing to train straight through it.

I will say that I was able to do 8x1000 with 1 min standing rest at 6:00 flat pace recently and completed a 18 mile run today at 7:33 pace with zero discomfort.   I have a 40 min tempo scheduled next week which will be probably an accurate gauge of my HM fitness.   The ultimate goal is just to break 90 minutes.

Oh, and Jmac11 is fast.