Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

Mark - Sounds like you're enjoying Kelowna.  I've never been but hear it's beautiful from my family in BC.

Keen, JamesD, Flavio and  Brewing - Good weeks.

Jaime - I don't know about you, but I think a 20 miler takes a lot out of a lot of us without pushing too hard. Impressive Smile

Jmac - GL getting to the bottom of that.  My little niggles and PF (which is getting better with daily - and painful - golf ball massages and ice) are from a weak muscle in my hip area, according to my PT.  I'm still trying to consistently do the exercises he gave me. Funny how the source is often so far from the resulting problem.

Mick and Enric - Welcome!

My week - Keto adaptation continues. I'm going 30 days before starting targeted ketosis (carbing up before workouts).  So I am still a little weak. But I am leaning out very nicely, feeling less fatigued through the day, sleeping very well.  During the first week, I couldn't do an easy 10km without walk breaks. My LSR today was incredibly slow and not very long and my HR got high towards the end but I did it with no stopping so I'm slowly getting adapted to fat burning as a fuel source.  Next week: I'm hoping for 60km with a tempo day and stride work for a speed day with a long run of 16-17km. 15 weeks to HM race day Smile

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
    Tue 5.3 8:58 Keto adaptation week 2: 8k easy (freezing/wet on the feet) with 400m hard to end 0 (0%) strava
    Thu 6.3 8:27 Afternoon Run 0 (0%) strava
    Fri 6.6 8:55 8k E + 8ST (150H/150w) 0 (0%) strava
    Sat 4.5 8:55 Morning Run 0 (0%) strava
    Sun 9.5 9:28 Keto adapt wk 2: not-so-easy L verySR 165 (87%) strava
      32.2 8:59    

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
    2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

Marky_Mark_17

Mick - welcome!!

JMac - frustrating with the injury.  We're definitely all looking forward to seeing you back in action.

Piwi - I'm not a surfer but I reckon you are on the money with your comparison.  Nothing like hitting a really smooth run through the trees on a powder day with 20cm of fresh snow!

Keen - really admire your persistence on the TM. I honestly don't know how you do it.  But having seen what winter can be like in parts of North America, I do kinda get it!

James - good to see you are feeling better again.  Takes a while to get these things out of the system sometimes.

Flavio - nice consistent weeks - have you got a race lined up that you are aiming for?

Blair - nice week and interested to hear how the keto approach works out.  It is awesome up here in the mountains and we have had a ton of snow (60cm or so in the last week).

Me - a miserable 30km in the last week but it was all at altitude and all after snowboarding at least half a day!! The powder days really take it out of your legs so I guess it's kinda like the brick workouts that triathletes do haha.  Gotta at least do something with a HM the week after I get back from holiday though.  Grateful to have had some awesome snow conditions here at Big White even though it has been foggy at times.  4 or 5 powder days in the last week which is as good as you could hope for.

All - just a reminder to let me know if you have any races coming up in Feb.  Currently have Blair, Rune and myself down with races.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

jaimegu

Mark:  You are doing altitude training, you will fly when going back to flatlands.  By the way,  talking about metal heads,  Which music help you for different workouts... I don't care too much for long or easy runs, but I think Kreator is excellent for tempos, specially the albums that were not well received, like Endorama, you just sync in the tempo with the passive-agressive singing and riffs.

JMac:  I hope you find and solve the thing in your foot. Take your time  

Piwi:  I was afraid you were going thru motivation issues,  but it seems you are back at it.

Keen:  Wow, so you managed to put 55 miles all in a TM?  That's impressive.  Re: calibration.  I got a Garmin footpod in Christmas.  I tried to calibrate with the TM but I got a huge number, then I started trying numbers until I got something that is similar to the actual reading of the TM.   However, it changes depending on the shoes:  The more responsive the shoe, the faster it goes.

James: Pretty good week!.  Not so sure it's related to transitioning from TM to outdoors. if that's the case, you might have a very different stride on the TM.

Flavio: It looks very promising!

Blair: Re: High HR in your long run.  Did you really feel like working hard or is it a case of HR/cadence lock?

Also, would you mind elaborating a bit more on the Keto? I read that it's very complicated to keep the right food ingest.

Mick: Welcome!  Your patella can be runner's knee.  If it comes back, check with a physiotherapist.  A simple taping might allow you to keep running, while you work on muscle balance. And, yes, running starts by lots of easy runs, and slowly introduce quality.

Me: A very good week by my low standards. (the applet didn't work so I put my week manually):

Tue Tempo  7Km@4:05 11Km  
        Wed Mid long w/6Km@4:36 17Km  
        Thu Indoor Soccer 5.2Km  
        Fri Easy@4:50 12Km  
        Sat Easy Run (@5:09  outdoors) 6.2Km  
        Sun Long Run, hills and ice 32.8Km Egain: 627m
        Total 84.2Km (or  52.33 miles)    
        runethechamp

Mark - I'm jealous of your skiing! It can be so much fun.

Mick - Welcome!

Blair - Nice work!

JMac - Good luck with the foot!

Piwi - Sounds like surfing is good, still wish I had picked that up at a younger age. The plumbing/home improvement is going well, I had to slightly reroute some electrical wires this week and knock a hole in our wall for ducting for our kitchen vent. I think next weekend will bring more electrical and maybe some additional wall hole punching 

Keen - Very nice week! I guess I've figured I enjoy some of the DIY home improvement or I wouldn't be doing it. It certainly brings a good sense of accomplishment when things come together, work when I hook systems up again, and turn out nice in the end.

Flavio - Looks like your training is progressing nicely.

James - Sucks with the flu but it seems like you are on your way back.

Jaime - Nice week again!

I finally got back on track again this week after a couple of sub-par weeks. I decided to compress the workout schedule a bit to not feel like I missed to much, so I had three hard runs, which beat me up pretty badly, at least judging by how today's long run felt. The Bay Area did show itself from its best winter side today though with temperatures in the high 60s during my run. Next week will be tough with 12.5 miles m-pace on Wednesday and a 19-mile run on Sunday so I hope my legs will recover some the next couple of days.

I'm also wondering if I should purchase one of Jack Daniels' 24-week marathon programs for my race in October.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Link
          Tue 7.6 8:53 1:07 3-mile tempo 146 (76%) strava
          Wed 4.2 8:48 0:37 Morning Run 127 (66%) strava
          Thu 6.2 8:30 0:52 Lunch Run 138 (72%) strava
          Fri 7.1 8:43 1:01 7x800 Intervals - almost back on track! 143 (74%) strava
          Sun 15.2 8:30 2:09 Long run with Russ 146 (76%) strava
            40.3 8:38 5:48      

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

running metalhead

SO, here we go, my first post: 

Highlights: 
            Silly 1 km :  I set my GPS to a normal run while I was supposed to be doing a tempo run close to my LT threshold. Stop, and start again :P
            6400m Tempo:  I wanted to keep it close to 4:21 min/ km ( 7:00 min/mile) but I went a few seconds slower.
            29km / 18.1 miles long run. I decided to do it on the trails instead of  the road as I was feeling somewhat sore on my left quad and knee. Bad decision as I hadn't been on the trails since June 2017 when I decided to jump back to road running and stop with ultras for a while. I'm sore as hell and the compression socks did cause me more soreness as they keep my toes together, maybe good on the road but not on the trails, at least for me.

Well, here it is (nice app, it translates to miles so that I don't have to)

Weekly Summary
            Monday, Jan 22, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 28, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
            Tue 0.6 8:35 0:05  Silly Half-Mile 128 (68%) 3 strava
            Tue 6.9 7:36 0:52 6400m Tempo 147 (79%) 167 strava
            Wed 5.0 9:24 0:46 Recovery 129 (69%) 141 strava
            Thu 6.2 8:15 0:51 Endurance 143 (76%) 127 strava
            Fri 4.4 8:48 0:38 Recovery 130 (70%) 114 strava
            Sat 10.6 8:18 1:28 Medium Long 142 (76%) 236 strava
            Sun 18.1 9:47 2:56 Long Trail 130 (70%) 410 strava
              51.8 8:51 7:38     1198  

Weekly Summary

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
            - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
            - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
            - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
            - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
            - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Not much to report on my end, 2 runs of 4 miles each with some pain in the foot. Doctor said I can keep going with 4 mile runs, so I'll probably get up to 3 runs this week and then try for 5 runs next week to see if I can handle just more days without necessarily going up in mileage. My foot did feel better the past few days though, I'm hoping this is a trend and not a blip.

Rune and Jaime - Good to see you guys back from last year's thread.

Blair - It's always the hips! They're my key weakness and cause almost all the problems I have. I'm really going to focus on them over the next 2 weeks.

Mark - I actually really like skiing as a way to cross train. Sure, it doesn't get your heart rate up exactly the same, but it works so many different muscles that you would never get running, so I view it as a good way to take a break from running but still see benefits. I'm not putting any races on the calendar (and you can take the NYC Half off if you do have it up there).

MJ - Welcome aboard

Flavio - Definitely no fast stuff for me anytime soon. Best case scenario is I start adding mileage slowly now. Even with my "aggressive" schedule, I won't be back to running over 30 miles a week for at least 4 more weeks, and nothing approaching tempo or faster until mid March. I'm not going to push this coming back.

Piwi - Do you find surfing does a good job on your legs? I imagine it's a good quad workout.

Keen - 55 miles on a treadmill is absurd. I find 4 miles insufferable, even if I have TV or movies to watch.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Jaime - haha I hope so!! Even a 6-7km run at altitude is really hard work, we are at about 1800m here so it is definitely getting up there albeit not quite as high as our last snowboarding trip to Colorado, where even the base at Breckenridge is close to 10,000ft / 3,000m and you run out of breath walking up the stairs!

As for music, I used to always run with music and then totally ditched it around 2 years ago.  I found it distracted me a little during workouts, and with easy runs it was actually just nice to enjoy the run.  That being said, thrash metal is definitely a go to, I like a lot of the slightly lesser-known thrash bands like Overkill, Exodus, Testament, Metal Allegiance and have some Kreator as well.  I can definitely see that working for a good workout!

Enric - nice week, I don't do a lot of trail running either but it can definitely be hard work, uses a lot of different muscles to stabilise that you wouldn't use on the roads especially if the surface is loose.

Rune - nice week!

JMac - I hear you on the use of different muscles when skiing/snowboarding.  Snowboarding is calves, shins, quads and glutes, but in quite a different way to running in that you are generally holding them for periods rather than repetitive strides.  It's particularly noticeable after powder days where my right quad will just be burning from trying to keep the tip of the board up all day!  I probably should ride switch more to balance things out considering my left leg is already the weaker one!  And one other advantage is that the reduced mileage seems to have quietened my ITB down for now, albeit it was already improving prior to leaving.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jaime - The HR seems to correlate with being new to the keto diet (elevated HR).  It's usually around 155-165 for easy runs.  My cadence was lower than usual (possibly because I was going much slower than any regular run?). I'm usually around 186spm and averaged 175spm with this run. I'm not sure of any correlation.

As for keto, I am learning as I go.  As much reading as I did, it's an ongoing learning process.  You are correct: it can be quite complicated when done correctly. And done correctly for an athlete.  Essentially, by restricting your carb intake to close to nil, it forces your body to start burning fat as fuel as opposed to carbohydrate for energy.  If you've ever hit the wall, this is a terrible feeling.  But by inducing it over a period of time, your body begins to produce ketones to assist in making this process much more efficient.  Or something like that Big grin  Right now, I'm getting the macronutrient tracking down.  I am at around the same amount of calories/day but the big focuses are on net carbs (for a very active person, staying below 35g per day), getting enough fat (around 140g for me) and protein (around 120g).  Plus the need for electrolyte intake is upped (especially with no processed foods to do the trick!) so I need a lot of extra sodium and potassium.  It's been tough but I'm slowly adapting, I think.  I committed to 30 days pure keto and then going to targeted (which is "carbing up" 25-50g easily digestable carbs before an intense workout).  There's a few elite endurance athletes that follow the diet (the 100 mile WR holder, I believe, and some standout triathletes).  The many cited benefits are something that made me at least want to give it a go!

Enric - do you mean "4:21/min" or is your metric conversion off? Wink

Personal Bests: 5k 19:43 (04/2017), 10k 43.24 (10/2016), Half 1:33:18 (10/2017), Full 3:32:47 (05/2017)
                  2018 Targets: 5k: sub19, 10k: sub41, Half: sub90

running metalhead

Enric - do you mean "4:21/min" or is your metric conversion off? Wink

BlairJB : Yes, 4:21 min/km, LOL. Corrected. THX for  the heads up.

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                    - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                    - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                    - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                    - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                    - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Blair sounds interesting on the new nutrition program you are doing. Ive never tracked my calories, probably why I still have belly fat  but naturally eat well and healthily when my mileage is high. In my 2 marathons I didnt hit the wall but that was down to prior training and sensible pacing along with eating well.

Mark Im enjoying your snowboard activity on strava. Looks like you are having a dream holiday.

Jaime 84kms thats very nice great job. Truth be told i havent been very motivated since 2015 but....I am still running and its a constant part of my life.

Rune excellent job on hitting 40 mpw and doing DIY. When I was running 60 mpw marathon training I never had much energy for household stuff especially on long run days.

Eric nice 50 miles. I find 50 mpw is when I start to hit some good form.

Jmac good to hear you are been very sensible with this injury. Surfing does very little for your legs as you may only stand for a few secs but having strong legs helps for foot pressure and carving turns etc. A typical surfer build is short with strong shoulders, back, chest, from all the paddling etc ( im talking about the top in the world guys ) but there are exceptions like in running. I watch the world tour surfing and many of the men are around 170 cm 5'7 and 68kgs 148lbs which is basically what I am.

Heres my last week pretty light. All runs from home and mostly progressive starting at 5.30/km and ending at around 4 min/km.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Wed 6.2 7:38 Morning Run strava
                      Thu 6.2 8:05 Morning Run strava
                      Fri 5.1 8:05 Morning Run strava
                      Sun 6.2 7:34 Morning Run strava
                        23.7 7:51    

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Treadmilling - This is so I can stay close to (read: inside) the house in case I need to help with my 6 week old daughter (or one of my older daughters). it is nice getting out of the wind at times, and tt has moments when time seems to go past quickly, but most of the time it seems like things just drag on. I also hate listening to music/podcasts when running, but listening (or watching something) does make it more tolerable. I've switched to using my Stryd footpod for distance and pace on the TM, since my effort level and the pace/distance from the TM just didn't match up. Stryd is slower by ~10-15 sec/mi compared to what the TM says (at 2% grade), which ends up being about .25 mile difference across an ~8mi run. I'm definitely itching to run outside!

I've decided to use a Daniels plan for my upcoming half, and will start a 12-week plan next Monday. Thanks to those who suggested it! It's actually kind of exciting to use a real plan, rather than just something I cobbled together. It's really not too much mileage, at ~55 mpw. Some of the workouts look tough, but I'm certain I can do them. What's slightly more concerning is the "label" next to some of those paces. Such as "marathon" next to something that's only ~10 sec/mi slower than my PR HM pace.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

I used the Daniels plan and it was good fun. I had to recreate it in Excel though since all the different paces and acronyms are tough to memorize. There is an excel spreadsheet floating around online that calculates the paces automatically after entering things like age gender height weight max hr and last pr over the goal distance. It gives you the repitition / interval / threshold / recovery / easy / stride / you name it pace as well as lactate thresholds and so on. I was only averaging like 30mpw and thought it was tough particularly phase 3. But at 55mpw it should be absolutely ok. Good luck!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - I wouldn't worry too much about his M pace workouts in the half plan. I ran one of them for my half and honestly didn't find it that useful, but I know a lot of people need M pace runs to feel confident at running long distances near tempo pace. Also, if you're using the third edition, he says to run 10% of weekly mileage at M pace, which doesn't really make sense. I would bump that up to 20%. So at 55 miles a week, I would  do something like 2 mile warm up, 10 at M pace, 2 mile cool down for a good 14 mile long run.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

MIck & JMac - Thanks for the input! I don't have an issue with marathon pace runs, but I do wish I could find that spreadsheet! There's no way I can remember the different workouts on my own, so I spent the last hour or so creating the quality workouts in Garmin Connect, copying them to the Garmin calendar, then pushing them all to my watch. I have to keep track of these somehow, though a quick glance at my phone will suffice for anything that isn't quality related.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Keen, I can email you that spreadsheet, although you can get all the paces through the runsmart calculator as well. The spreadsheet is nice though since it allows you to adjust based on weight, temperature, etc. And the JD m-pace runs are tough since he is very aggressive in his marathon predictions. I will be dialing down some of the workouts that I have coming up tonight and later since the progression in my plan will make me try to run faster than my HM PR pace. And if the workouts are hard to memorize I program them in my Garmin, especially the interval workouts. It's also nice to be able to program in pace goals if you want.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it