Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

watsonc123

Piwi- Nice week.  Strava does seem to round down fractionally sometimes, up to 100m (e.g. 11.99 or 12.00 will sometimes show as 11.9).  I'm not sure if that impacts the pace cal or just the distance that Strava presents.

Unless Strava also reduces the time taken, then it has to reduce the stated pace.

Also - nice week.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Mark: Let me tell you a few words of wisdom, because when it comes to drinking CONSISTENCY IS KING. That's a rookie mistake to tackle a machine head concert without proper week long preparation. You should have established a 12-16 week long drinking plan. Like the famous c2d30 (Couch to Drunk in 30 minutes) and add some quality to the training sessions such as proper Whisky and/or Gin once or max twice per week. The real machine head pro's looked down at you with the same disrespect like when you spot that hobby jogger in basketball sneakers withinin the 3hr marathon starting block Smile

Piwi: your watch is just trying to push you a few more miles per week. It's like me setting the time on my watch 5 minutes later than what it really is (doesnt really work, but you get the concept ).

Me: Have had a good week. The bloody PT sessions have done nothing to make the niggle in my left calf disappear but I must admit that my legs are starting to feel stronger. Hanson has you run longer "long" runs and I have completed a 17k this morning, which is a record this year, after basically two injuries. Anyways, I hope I will be able to keep this up somehow. I canned the 90 minutes goal for this year and will try to get as close as possible to 100, maybe 105. I havent fully decided on which race to go to, but I will probably wait until October. I have a 14k race near my home on August 25th with a few friends and despite the ups and downs I want to take off roughly 10 minutes off my time last year. So that will be a nice challenged by itself. So this week was 5 days of running, with 2 days easy, 1 long run, 1 speed session with 12x400 (hated it) and 1 tempo block (just 5k straight) and a total of 54k.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - considering what happened to you, maybe you shouldn’t either 

Piwi - Now I need you to film your ferocious jump. For science…

It looks like it’s time you opened the wallet and got a Garmin

Strava is weird, many times it runs shorter than Garmin

MJ - I’m clapping at you for your consistency is king comment about Mark 

Mark - you’re showing signs of being human, I have updated my calculations and now I estimate you are 12% human and 88% android

me - I saw that Corey had run 20 miles so in his homage I have also run 20 miles... for the week.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

My sister beat her 5K record today, she was almost under 40 minutes. She's very much overweight and has been struggling with that for a long time and now she's finally trying to do things right with moderate diet and exercises.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MJ - I'm glad to see you back on track with some consistent training. Be patient and you will collect results soon.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - As the official thread determiner of these things, no, it doesn’t count as 100K . Seriously though, the whole weekly amount is a bit misleading and tracking averages over 12 weeks span is my preferred way of looking at my mileage, as I know it is for you. Also, I like how you barely made it over 75K. Do you go out on Saturday/Sunday and say “20K would leave me 0.5 short, so I better do 21K”

GPS - I like using the fact that you guys all run non-certified races as an excuse for why your times are faster.

Piwi - You’ve thrown up a lot of 50+ mile weeks this year, glad to see you’re back at it after a few down weeks (I believe).

Watson - Nice week.

MJ - Well done on the drinking analogy, you are competing with Flavio for best humor on this thread!

Flavio -  way to kick me when I’m down. Also that’s great to hear about your sister. 5Ks are often a gateway drug for many people who are trying to lose weight. I know many who started there and eventually worked their way up to doing half marathons on a regular basis.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark, I have to agree with Mick on this, you need to get in some consistent training before attempting something like that again.

In summer, I often feel very rough for the rest of the day after a long run, even at easy pace.  Sometimes nauseated but usually just a pounding headache which water and powerade won't fix.  Bourbon usually does though.

My week:

Monday         50 mins stationary bike

Tuesday        Weights

Wednesday   50 mins stationary bike

Thursday       30 mins very easy to test out calf (6.18km @ 5:22mins/km) + 30 mins stationary bike

Friday            Weights

Saturday        60 mins easy to again test calf (12.53km @ 4:47mins/km) + 20 mins stationary bike

Sunday          Weights

Thursday was okay with minor pain in the trouble spot, and I felt no issues on Friday.  Felt good on Saturday with no pain at all and even pushed it a bit towards the end (nothing faster than 4:30min/km).  Felt a bit unfit but I'm sure that's in my head.

So with a race in 3 weeks I'm open to advice on an approach to the next 2.5 weeks of training.  If I feel any more pain in that calf then I'm pulling out of the race but I think it feels okay to plan to race but with a cautious approach.

I'd usually be doing a 6x1km interval session tonight and a 2x15 mins of tempo session on Wednesday.  Intervals seem to be my most common injury session so maybe I just look at tempo until the race?  I should be in pretty good shape with some really good sessions up until 2 weeks ago.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Gone 5 days and 4 pages to read through!

Another decent week for me, I cut back from the last 2 weeks to try and rest up, I will stay roughly the same next week and try to increase the weekly mileage again the following week.

Weekly Summary
                  Monday, Jul 09, 2018 thru Sunday, Jul 15, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                  Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                  Mon 4.4 9:21 Evening Run 138 strava
                  Wed 4.4 9:15 Evening Run 134 strava
                  Thu 4.4 8:29 Morning Run 135 strava
                  Fri 4.0 8:14 Morning Run 142 strava
                  Sat 8.3 8:52 Afternoon Run 138 strava
                  Sun 15.5 9:26 Morning Run 128 strava
                    41.0 9:04      

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - you’ll rebound no doubt. You’ve got that natural speed.

Steve - Tempo should be fine. Avoid the hills for now as they can deteriorate the calf injury.

Australians - have you watched Secret City on Netflix? How does that accent sound to you guys (Especially the prime minister and the reporter)? It seems to me every Australian I ever met had a stronger accent though I suppose in that show they speak some sort of posh ozzy accent.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

My week is done. As mentioned, my Thursday workout really knocked me out. Woke up fine the next day though. Today’s long run also hit me way harder than expected. I was really well hydrated going into it and thought that I was okay given I’ve run in worse conditions this summer, but I was knocked out once again. I had to stop 7 times for water during it and I still came home so badly dehydrated that I felt sick. I actually think part of it too was a mini-bonk as I was so hungry to start the run (even though I ate beforehand) that I wonder if I was switching over to fat-burning. I think that’s probably okay, but certainly not fun. Luckily I have a down week coming up next week as I will taper into my 5K, which seems a bit silly given how it’s a 5K in the hottest week of the year but I could really use a down week given I’ve done 5 straight weeks of 50+ miles and hit my highest mileage week.

For my 5K Sunday, no idea what to expect. Will have to monitor the forecast. I’ll probably go for a PR though because hell why not, unless the conditions are atrocious.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                      Day Miles Pace Description Link
                      Tue 9.9 8:00 Evening Run strava
                      Wed 7.4 8:17 Evening Run strava
                      Thu 13.1 7:45 4E + 5x1200 (4:12) + 4x400 (1:16) +2E strava
                      Sat 9.9 7:58 Evening Run strava
                      Sun 17.8 8:03 Lunch Run strava
                        58.1 8:00

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac it does sound like you are a bit exhausted or dehydrated. I know you push hard through workouts but the heat and mileage may be just a bit much. This down week should put you back on track. Good luck in the 5k. Im contemplating another Parkrun on saturday too.

Mark I would be a cheap date too as far as drinking goes. I havent been drunk since...about your age but it was a bad one where i was still chucking up the next day ! I think that was my last straw for getting smashed.

Flavio great job by your sister and hopefully she keeps up the good work. We will excuse her from the Lady Gaga challenge unless her challenge could be sub 40 5k 

Mick when i finished my run with my friend yesterday he had 23kms and stopped and I was at 22.75 and had to keep jogging untill I got to 23kms .......

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark, I have to agree with Mick on this, you need to get in some consistent training before attempting something like that again.

I am so out of form when it comes to drinking it is ridiculous.

In hindsight my biggest mistake was actually going straight home and into bed afterwards, rather than giving myself a wind-down period of an hour or so just to burn a bit more off.

But as a veteran of probably over 100 rock/metal concerts I will defend to death my right to hold court in the pit!  I think I may have just moved into an older AG when it comes to concert attendance haha.  I was there on history rather than recent performances hahaha.

Steve - good news on the injury front, hope it stays right for you.

JMac - I first picked up on the 'streak' because there were a cluster of weeks around 75-77km.  This last week it was actually just pure coincidence!  I suspect I might lose it this week, but if it takes another 0.5km to get another week out of it, yes I would definitely do that.  But yeah I'm often guilty of trying to round runs up to the nearest km because OCD.  Nice week, by the way.

Piwi - I can count on one hand the number of seriously bad hangovers I've had in my life.  The last was July 1, 2016.  And before that, a friend's wedding down in Cardrona in around 2011 or so.  And before that, the Olympics opening ceremony in 2003 and the Rugby World Cup 2003.  I tend to avoid them because it just ends up wrecking half your weekend which messes with both family time and running, both of which are bigger priorities for me!

CF - another nice week!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You guys are so good at avoiding hangovers. I hope I’m getting to that stage in my life. It’s much more enjoyable to have a few and go to bed then to stay out all night drinking, but the calling does come sometimes. Running certainly does dampen the drinking, especially in the summer, as I’m too dehydrated to even think about having a beer post run.

For me Jmac an ice cold beer after a summer run is one of lifes joys  only later in the afternoon though !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

runethechamp

I went wine tasting yesterday in Napa with some friends I know from work, and I think I was a little bit hung over in the evening after I came home. It's hard to gauge how things will work out when you start sipping wine at 10 am... But in general I have cut back a lot on the bad nights, mostly because of the running. It's no fun at all running when you feel like crap from the night before.

JMac - Nice week! Yeah, make sure you don't overwork yourself with the temperatures in your area.

Mark - Nice week for you too, sounds like you had fun at your concert. It's amazing sometimes if you have some small niggles what just a couple of days off from running can do. I certainly have some sore spots but nothing I'm worried about at the moment.

Piwi - Good to see you are putting together some strong weeks again. Judging by your training runs you are starting to be in pretty good shape!

Watson - Solid week and good tempo as well. I'm not at those paces yet but with a ton of tempo efforts lately I've become very familiar with paces around 6:55/mile (4:18/km). I don't feel like it's quite released yet at that pace but hoping it will soon.

Mick - Good to hear your calf seems to be a bit better. Just take it easy still would be my advice.

Flavio - At least you're back to running! And good work by your sister. Hopefully she'll keep it going.

Corey - Nice week again. Keep up the good work!

Keen - Hope your long run went well.

At some point this week I wasn't even sure if I would reach my 50 miles as I took Monday off after the brutal weekend I had a week ago, and I forgot I would spend Saturday in Napa tasting wines all day with some good friends I know from work. But with some creative scheduling and a double day where I just took the dog for a couple of miles to round off the day, I just made it. I had a failed attempt at my mid-week workout on Wednesday due to an upset stomach, but tried again on Thursday and got it done. Both workouts had significant tempo efforts in them (3x2 miles on Thursday, 2x2 early and then another mile at the end of today's run), and I've been pretty consistent around 6:55 pace on those segments. I even posted a 6:51 mile at the end of today's run without too much trouble so I think the Daniels program is slowly toughening my legs to be able to put in these "faster" efforts at the end of workouts. Next week is bringing everybody's favorite interval workout, 5x1000, so we'll see how that goes. And for me it is now 8 weeks in a row at 45 miles or more. I think my legs are slowly adapting to this...

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Duration Description HR Egain Link
                                Tue 7.6 8:25 1:04 Evening Run 136 (71%) 138 strava
                                Wed 6.2 9:06 0:56 Abort, abort! 125 (65%) 109 strava
                                Thu 14.0 8:07 1:53 Thursday Lake Tempo Intervals 148 (77%) 273 strava
                                Fri 4.5 8:47 0:39 Recovery Lunch Waddling 128 (67%) 86 strava
                                Fri 2.0 10:46 0:21 Evening Doggie Run 118 (61%) 104 strava
                                Sun 16.5 8:29 2:20 E-T-E-T-E 144 (75%) 376 strava
                                  50.8 8:35 7:16     1086  

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it