I need a new watch. (Read 976 times)

I have come to hate my Timex Ironman triathlon watch. In the begining, when I first starting training to run the New York Marathon, I didn't have a way to time my runs. I wasn't really so sure I was going to stick with this running hobby so I used a watch that was a free premium from Kelloggs. It had the Olympic symbol on it and a stopwatch feature that you could turn on and off. When the battery died, I simply retired it with my marathon medal. My next watch was the big clunky Timex Expedition, which had really big numbers on the face and a winding stem that sometimes cut into my wrist (during th 2003 Yonkers Marathon, other runners kept yelling at me "You're Bleeding!"). Still it was simple to use. You pushed one button to start the timing. You pushed it again to stop. when you got home, there was your time, saved on the watch! Eventually that died too and I got the Ironman watch I use now. It has 5 buttons. Each of the buttons has multiple functions, meaning it you press it for 1 second you get one result and for two seconds you get another. In the "chrono" function" there are laps--so after I press the stop button at the end of the race, it doesn't stop counting, it starts counting the second lap. I get home expecting my time for the race and I get my time for the race combined with my time for getting my bag and driving home and eating lunch and whatever else I did before I decided to stop the watch. When I am running in Central Park in a race, and I'm trying to avoid tripping over slow runners and getting run over by faster runners I don't want to be distracted by my watch, which button to press and for how long. I want to press one button and take off. All I want is simplicity and Timex refuses to give me that--I wrote an email explaining my problem, and they said to call customer service. Customer Service said "Sorry that's the way it works". Does anyone have an EASY TO USE watch without so many buttons?
    I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Berner? Is that you? Really really you? How are you man? Dude.
          Is that you? Really really you?
          In the flesh. Slowly returning back to form after a self-imposed break from all things running. Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In the flesh. Slowly returning back to form after a self-imposed break from all things running. Smile
            Dude. The swamp misses you.
            C-R

Does this one have a heart rate monitor version? Polar's watches are pretty simple but they aint cheap. Timex - it takes a lickin and keeps on trickin

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

It is simplicity of design, but I was hoping for something a little easier to carry, something that would fit on my writst, and importantly it must work it the absence of sunshine. Any other suggestions then??????
                I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Can't help you. I love the Timex Ironman design, 5 buttons yeah, but super easy to use. The most frequent "ironman" button on watch face for the splits. Doesn't matter if you pressed split instead of stop. Just recall the laps (one of the other buttons) and you will get your race time. Plus they are relatively cheap, $25-$30 on eBay.

dork.major dork.

This model also lacks a stopwatch function.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

kcam

Can't help you. I love the Timex Ironman design, 5 buttons yeah, but super easy to use. The most frequent "ironman" button on watch face for the splits. Doesn't matter if you pressed split instead of stop. Just recall the laps (one of the other buttons) and you will get your race time. Plus they are relatively cheap, $25-$30 on eBay.
                      I always loved my Triathlon (always the 100lapper hated the 50lapper). What finally got me to go to the Garmin was my eyesight. I can't read the Triathlon anymore while it's strapped to my wrist! Have to take it off and hold it away from me. That's some sad shiite! My last triathlon still sits unused in my gym locker at work - still ticking, patienly awaiting use.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When I first started running I had a Timex Marathon watch. I ended up "upgrading" to a triathlon model with the ability to keep track of laps (the Marathon model I had didn't have any lap capabilities), but discovered that I would only remember to hit the lap button maybe half the time as I passed mile markers during races. So that function was pretty much lost on me anyhow. Now I have a Garmin...haven't worn a regular stopwatch since I got that. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay