Looking for advice on jogging strollers (Read 703 times)

run4fun8910

Hi Everyone. I need your help in spending my money. My wife and I want a jogging stroller so that on the weekend we can do a casual run together with the whole family. I have two kids. Lily will be 4 in May and Harrison 2 in you guessed it May. What are the good brands? I saw one on a trail that appeared to have a bar in front that would hook to a bike. That would useful. Neither of my kids way 30 lbs yet. Though they are right on the cusp. What is your experience with them with 2 kids in it. Is it very difficult to push them? How much can the kids weigh and still use the stroller? Thanks for any input. Plus you can spend mine and not yours. :-)
    Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
    Lisa3.1

We had a for our son. Please go to the site http://www.babyjogger.com
      run4fun8910

okay I will take a look. was yours a double or a single?
          I have a BOB revolution double jogger. http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller.php?product_id=4It was expensive, but I LOVE it. I have a 3 year old that weighs almost 30 pounds and a 1 year old that is about 18 pounds. You would think that it's a pain to push because of the uneven weight distribution, but it really is well built to accomodate that. I also like the HUGE sunshades that are actually big enough to actually produce shade (which as you know, is usually an issue with strollers). Confused It's a breeze to push and turns really well too. --I'm talking about roads and sidewalks though. I don't have any experience running on trails with it, but it is great in the grass at the park, festivals, etc. The downside is that it's heavy, so lifting it in the car is a pain, and it's big, so if you don't drive something with a big cargo space, it may not fit very well. Oh, another plus is that it does fit through standard size doorways. It's great to take on trips when you're in and out of stores, house, or whatever. It looks really cool too. I would recommend finding a store that has what you are looking for and try it out. That was what helped me make my decision. Good luck! MTA: When you go to the web page, above the spinning stroller, click on the "Duallie" link to see the double.
          Lisa3.1

okay I will take a look. was yours a double or a single?
            Ours was just for our son, but they do make double. It is pretty light. I'm not sure where you are, but if you have an REI, you can go there and try it out at the store.
            run4fun8910

We do have an REI here in Salt Lake. We will be checking it out tomorrow.
              ymmv

When you head out with the stroller, you will certainly need this one on your ipod: http://www.jonathancoulton.com.nyud.net/songdetails/Stroller%20Town Here's the mp3
                run4fun8910

so what Tom. Trying to make me piss my pants. I will have to have that playing on her maiden voyage. Cool

Non ducor, duco.

You must check out the http://www.koolstop.com/joggingstroller/index.php#Anchor-Deuce-11947 Kool-Stride. I have four kids. I bought it with my now 11 year old and have used the thing with all of them. The youngest is 4 and just has outgrown it. The thing I love about it is that it folds up. We used to travel quite a bit, and I loved being able to tear it down so easily. It also a great thing if you have a smaller car. The company is tops too. I called them at one point to order another canopy as something happened to it. They replaced the canopy for free! I was impressed with their customer service and attitude. Anyway, happy running with it. It is also great to roller-blade with but don't anyone!

Non ducor, duco.

Damn! I can't figure out how to make the hyperlink work! Sorry. Sad
                      run4fun8910

Andriea. I was able to get to the website. I like the 20" rear wheel. From what I understand the larger the wheel in the back the easier it is to push. What I noticed with this is the 100 lb weight capacity. Neither of my kids are 30 lbs yet. Nor do I really know when at what age they usually hit 50 lbs. But I did see that the baby jogger will hold up to 150lbs. Now maybe I am just being ridiculous. When my kids hits 75 lbs then I assume they could just ride their bikes and keep up with their old dad. How old where your kids when they grew out if it?

Big Chicken!

DH bought me a Schwinn. Seemed great except it's completely out of alignment and we can't get it straight. If you can get a jog stroller from the store be sure to load the kids into it and make sure it rides straight. My arms get really tired from pushing down to get the thing on the right path for 10 seconds. What a pain. Othr than that, I am glad ot have the stroller. My DS naps for a little while (doesn't usually nap) so he's less cranky later in the day. And I have no excuse to not run. And I am sure in the long run (HA!) I will be faster. It's amazing how much faster you are when you aren't pushng 35-50 lbs into the wind!
                          Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!

Non ducor, duco.

Shawn I don't know when most kids hit 50 pounds. I know my 5 almost 6 year old son can still sit in it. Honestly, they get bored with the whole thing and dont really want to go with you. That ends up being a really good thing for you because it is tough to push two kids for very long. It is good when they give it up because the stride can be strange. I finally got it down to a big push ahead of me with one hand and a stride to catch up to the stroller. This kind of weird thing makes you all too happy when they outgrow it! Forgot to mention that on this Kool-Stride, I also really liked the rain shield that is clear so kiddos can still look out. The only bad thing for all jogging strollers that I have ever seen is that the height of the handle is too low for a lot of men. I dont know how tall you are. My husband is 6'2 and it was a little uncomfortable to have to push. I wouldnt' say he had to stoop but it wasnt as good for him as it was for me. I shopped for almost 6 months and still thought this was the best thing on the market. Good luck!
                            Lisa3.1

So what did you end up with