Injured and Depressed (Read 1089 times)

uncontrollable

It DOES suck.  People who don't run likely can't grasp just how bad it sucks.  There should be running specialty therapists - they are needed for times like these.  One positive - though possibly not in the near future - it will still be waiting for you when the time is right, like  an old friend. Luckily the passion & desire to get out there only intensifies when we can't ... once you are healed - look out road/trail/track/ or wherever you may roam.  It will be yours again.  Hang on.

peace

Sometimes you have to take a break from running because of injury. The thing is not to become completely sedentary. Depending on the injury you can walk, cycle, swim, weight train, etc..

Just wanted to agree with what everyone says. Most non-runners don't understand what we miss.

I've had 2 major hiccups in the last 2 years - by way of a stroke and most recently seizures classifying me as epileptic - but my desire to run again is even stronger.

I'm going tea-total and caffeine free from now on to help ensure my fitness remains as best it can and keep my weight down.

If you can -walk whenever possible.. Otherwise swim/cycle or do  yoga/pilates so that you return to running more flexible and with a stronger core.

Keep your chin up.

LiliGo

Sorry about your injury.  ITBS can be really frustrating. What has worked for me in the past was strengthening hips and glutes, rest an NSAIDs.  The following is a pretty good blog post that I found recently that cover what is been found about the injury so famr and describe some of the exercises I did and that seem to have worked for other people too.

Injury Series: Biomechanical solutions for iliotibial band (IT band) syndrome / ITBS

Hope this help!

tomatolover

yes to depression!!!  couple injury with PMS and I get downright weepy

LillGo- thanks for the article...I've been dealing with ITband on and off for over 5 years...it was a very interesting read & i'll be doing the protocol

I'm Betty if you're Al

Sorry about your injury.  ITBS can be really frustrating. What has worked for me in the past was strengthening hips and glutes, rest an NSAIDs.  The following is a pretty good blog post that I found recently that cover what is been found about the injury so famr and describe some of the exercises I did and that seem to have worked for other people too.

Injury Series: Biomechanical solutions for iliotibial band (IT band) syndrome / ITBS

Hope this help!

Wow, that's a great read thank you for that, and thanks for the sympathy all.  I'm an active person so staying busy is not going to be hard for me.  Planning on doing some spinning classes and already have Yoga and weight training in my schedule.  Just miss running.  

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

luken

RA's cranky old teenager

I hear heroin can be a new, interesting, and fun hobby to take up while injured!

Though in all seriousness, being injured sucks. My ex-girlfriend turned into a bitch when she had IT band problems. It's kept her out of running for almost a year. Now I'm beginning to know it all too well. I have (presumably) extensor tendonitis, which makes running pretty painful. My training has been sporadic and it just depresses me not to see those nice, neat 6 days in a row knocked off on the calendar. Hopefully a PT can fix me. Going tonight to see one.

That's probably maybe mostly true.