i don't run because i want to be good at it (Read 384 times)

Mostly harmless

I didn't mean to hate on those who are gifted or enthusiastic in sports (I should not have used the term jock); it was simply that I have received numerous verbal dressing-downs when I tried to engage these guys in discussion about running. I either didn't know what I was talking about or "just wasn't runner material". These same guys are always talking about their sub-7 "easy" paces and PRs in front of girls too. Eventually I just said f*ck it and decided to run for me, alone.

It really stinks that the culture at your school (I assume these incidents happened at school) is like that.  The school that my kids go to has a much different culture among runners.  The fast kids know they are fast and don't feel the need to try build themselves up by putting others down.  I have found that the running community in general to be very supportive and encouraging and quite the opposite of the guys you have dealt with.  It is a testament to your character that you didn't let these jerks push you away from doing something you enjoy.  It would not be uncommon for a young person to just quit running entirely after negative experiences like that so I congratulate you for that.

Running for the fun and fitness by yourself is awesome.  As someone that also has ADHD issues I have found it to be a great way to help me focus my thoughts.  I enjoy the solitude and being able to really focus on just running.  However, running with other people can be fun too and you might consider looking for an opportunity do that.  Best of luck!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I don't really feel the need or desire to run competitively - I view running (exercise) as something necessary in order for my body to grow properly....and if I get good at running in the process, that's just an added perk

First of all, when I've seen your posts before, I thought you were 40+ years old (and born in 1967).  To be 17 again....

I gave up running when I was 16 and ran a total of 1 time over the next 13 years (FWIW, that 1 time was very memorable, but that's a long story...).

I wish I never quit running during those years.

When I turned 29, I was fat and diabetic and was put on medication, was sent to a nutritionist, and was told to exercise.

I spent the following 7 - 8 years running to be healthy WITHOUT ANY DESIRE to compete in a race.  It was purely to be active and enjoy being active and healthy.

Over the past 4 or 5 years, I've become an addict and a competition junkie, and I may need to get help and figure out how to balance my life (work, family, and sport).  Smile

But, being active does not equate to being competitive.  Enjoy what you do!

I have the same 2 goals every year since I started being active.  The first is to "do whatever I can do" as it relates to being active.  The 2nd goal is to "enjoy doing what I do".

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Chris T

Any guys in high school who were bragging about their easy paces and pr's may have been doing so in front of girls...but there's no way any of them were listening. Smile

Augh I didn't realize these were other runners.  I thought maybe they were football jerks or something.  Stinks even more that they are actual runners.

I take it your cross country group is pretty small?  At my kids school the cross country team is pretty big so they have multiple levels of runners.  I'm always impressed by the ones at the end of the line trying their best just to finish the run.  The ones in the front I don't give two thougths about.

Just keep up the good work and find a race to join.  I think it helps a lot to have a goal race to look forward to.  Maybe you could be the guy who runs the half so you can say "How cute you guys ran a 5K today?  You want to come run a real race and go 13 miles next weekend with me?"  Reminds me of the whole Iron Man thing.  "140.6  . . .  How cute you ran a full marathon today!  Isn't that nice."

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
          • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
          • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Thanx again everyone. I'm not even on a running team, I actually would be intimidated to to be quite honest. I agree that it's too bad that some of the guys aren't as nice as they could be, there's sort of an elitist thing going on at my school which just discourages me. It's OK though, I'd rather run in moderation throughout my entire life than just run insanely intensively for a few years in HS and college and ultimately burn out at like 21. I'm willing to be patient too, because, well, i don't really have any other option lol. I think I heard that if you obsess about running, it becomes harder to sustain - it just needs to become part of your life and something you don't think about.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Thanx again everyone. I'm not even on a running team, I actually would be intimidated to to be quite honest. I agree that it's too bad that some of the guys aren't as nice as they could be, there's sort of an elitist thing going on at my school which just discourages me. It's OK though, I'd rather run in moderation throughout my entire life than just run insanely intensively for a few years in HS and college and ultimately burn out at like 21. I'm willing to be patient too, because, well, i don't really have any other option lol. I think I heard that if you obsess about running, it becomes harder to sustain - it just needs to become part of your life and something you don't think about.

You're wise beyond your years, kid.  Smile

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people