Beer & Training (Read 2411 times)

On what do you base this assertion?

How much time do you have? http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?q=alcohol+testosterone

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A google search is not an answer.

In that particular search, all the findings are in rats and mice.  How is that relevant to me?

I have nothing to offer except that I'm in favor off beer after a good run.........

Champions are made when no one is watching

On what do you base this assertion?

If you get your blood alcohol level to 10% it is likely that testosterone production will drop to zero.

But the good news is that you won't gain weight or die of cancer.

I am a pretty regular drink or two a day person, but I thought I had remembered reading somewhere that alcohol inhibits glycogen formation, or encourages the conversion of carbohydrates to fat (I may very well be completely wrong).  So, for my last marathon I avoided all alcohol for the week before the race.  I was almost disappointed when I set a slightly better than 5 minute PR on a tougher course with very similar fitness and training.  Now I can't drink before a marathon until I have a crappy race to prove it wasn't the lack of beer that helped.  It is a shame too because Boston is up next and there are a bunch of great pubs up in that town.

One of my best races came on a warm Saturday morning after a slow and laid back Friday.  This followed a beer guzzling Thursady that had me down at the Honkey Tonks in Nashville drinking from mid morning throught the wee hours of the night.  Friday was a recovery day of sorts.  I will drink a beer or two prior to a marathon on any occassion that is there.  This is just me though.  As for hard liquor I say no go always unless I am on vacation in the tropics somewhere then a vodka, rum and fruit drink is a must.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Whiskey dick...?

Another reason I am not a fan of drinking hard liqour and will not touch whiskey except on rare occassion.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

xor

Whiskey dick...?

A mountain in Washington State.  Also a triathlon.

A google search is not an answer.

In that particular search, all the findings are in rats and mice.  How is that relevant to me?

All the findings are not about rats and mice... plenty are about studies on people.

This is an uncontroversial and well-established effect. Trying to pretend it's not the case is like saying the world is flat :/

Actually some studies show that testosterone levels are boosted. Floyd Landis explained high levels of testosterone on alcohol consumption the night before an amazing performance in the T d France. I think he had a few beers and a few shots of Jack Daniels. His claims were later found to be supported by some scientific findings (see below). But its also supported by the experience of the people posting here and I would suggest by the common phenomenon of the "hangover horn".

Also what I could be bothered to read about the mice studies showed an immediate fall in T levels. Could it be that alcohol initially suppresses T but causes a surge the next day?

http://www.cbass.com/FloydLandis.htm

"The first study was done two decades ago by researchers in the department of clinical chemistry at Huddinge Hospital in Sweden. It was a small study involving four subjects. They had about 10 alcoholic drinks over six hours, which was found to elevate their T/E ratio “by a factor of 10% to 50%.” The study was published in the journal Clinical Chemistry. “Our interest here was just to demonstrate that we would see an effect,” co-author and now a professor of clinical chemistry at Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm Ingemar Bjorkhem, told Bialik. ” We expected to see an effect.”

Bialik found that a handful of other studies have confirmed the effect. The studies, however, are small and the size of the rise in T/E ratio varies widely. A 1996 study by researchers at the German Sports University found an average increase in T/E ratio of “300% to 400% among six female volunteers and an average of 50% to 100% among five males.” The men’s results ranged from a decrease of 40% to an increase of 300%.

A 2001 review of literature by Simon Davis of Mass Spec Solutions, who was then doing his doctoral work at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory in Berkeley, California, “found alcohol-induced increases in the T/E ratio ranging from 30% to 277%.” The review was done in connection with a pending doping case and was not peer-reviewed. It was recently published online (without permission from Dr. Davis) and was cited by Bloomberg.

“The information is suggestive, but it’s not certain,” Richard Hellman, president-elect of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, told Bialik."

Whiskey dick...?

Laughing out loud!

- Anya

xhristopher

Actually some studies show that testosterone levels are boosted. Floyd Landis explained high levels of testosterone on alcohol consumption the night before an amazing performance in the T d France. I think he had a few beers and a few shots of Jack Daniels. His claims were later found to be supported by some scientific findings (see below). But its also supported by the experience of the people posting here and I would suggest by the common phenomenon of the "hangover horn".

Also what I could be bothered to read about the mice studies showed an immediate fall in T levels. Could it be that alcohol initially suppresses T but causes a surge the next day?

http://www.cbass.com/FloydLandis.htm

Your page is way out of date. Floyd is an admitted doper. That amazing performance was thanks to PEDs.

As dopers often do, he threw out some bizarre excuses. Contador is currently claiming tainted beef and, as a publicity stunt, he's sworn off beef. Tyler Hamilton initially claimed his positive was due to a Chimera. Frank Vandenbroucke, after being caught with PEDs, claimed they were for his dog. I could go on... It's almost comical.

joescott

In my personal case I have observed many times that even just 1 or 2 beers the night before a race or hard workout seems to take the edge off of my performance.  So I stay away from alcohol completely within 48 hours of a race or key workout, and generally just to avoid the unnecessary empty calories I keep alcohol consumption very low during a big race training cycle.  But I have not tested this in mice or rats or people except for myself.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

xhristopher

In my personal case I have observed many times that even just 1 or 2 beers the night before a race or hard workout seems to take the edge off of my performance.  So I stay away from alcohol completely within 48 hours of a race or key workout, and generally just to avoid the unnecessary empty calories I keep alcohol consumption very low during a big race training cycle.  But I have not tested this in mice or rats or people except for myself.

In my personal case I have observed many times that beer tastes 2 or 3 times as good after a race. I have not tested this on mice or rats but, based on my observation of bars after races, others tend to agree.

Tyler Hamilton initially claimed his positive was due to a Chimera.

Depending on the Chimera, it might just make anyone turn to dope...

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

It's different for everyone, as most things are.

There are groups DEDICATED to running and drinking, they are called Hashers.There is a very active group here in Las Vegas.

Do a google search to see if you can find a group near your location. They are a blast!

"A drinking group with a running problem"

This is an excerpt from their website:

The Las Vegas Hash House Harriers and Harriettes, is a Social Running Club that emphasizes fun (beer) more than competition. Our goal is pretty simple - get a little exercise, drink some beer, give each other a hard time, and bitch about stuff with four-letter words.

At one of our fine hashes, which generally meet each Saturday at 3:00PM, you can expect to find a somewhat challenging cross-country trail, which will be marked in biodegradable flour - you know, the stuff Grandma uses to make cookies. You follow this fine trail through all sorts of slop, muck and prickly-briar-filled bushes for four to five miles until you get to the end.

Why, you might ask, would anyone do this?

Simple Answer - BEER. The Complicated Answer - More beer! (We like beer, the people who make beer, and the people who like to drink beer.)

Yep - heaps of beer. All waiting for you... Sounds good, doesn't it? Click here for this week's hash!

One of the guys was on my Ragnar Relay team, he ran 17 miles the day before Ragnar, drinking, then continued with Ragnar (running 3 legs within a 24 hour period... also while drinking) and he holds 6 - 7 minute miles consistently. He is definitely not hindered by alcohol while running.

Again, though, each person is different and can handle each activity at different levels. Smile