Good news for older runners - like me! (Read 318 times)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

As one of those older farts this (67) is the kind of results I love to see. I'm also an example of the improvement they saw. When I started running in 2008 I needed two elastic knee braces and my back would ache like the dickens. Well I've now done many halves, 1 30k and am about to do first (and only?) Marathon - without knee braces and have had very little back pain. Yeah, I'm slower than crap but I can keep moving for the 6hrs I'll need to finish a full.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/ask-well-is-jogging-bad-for-older-people/?emc=edit_tnt_20140110&tntemail0=y&_r=0

bob e v
    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

Way to go Bob!  Stamina/endurance are important not only in running, but in other things as well!  I'm 67 an older runner also.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/10/ask-well-is-jogging-bad-for-older-people/?ref=running&_r=0

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/r/running/index.html  "Glimpsing the Health of the Most Extreme Runners" and "What Ultramarathons do to the Body" are interesting too.

Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I believe it, it's just really hard to prove.

TJoseph

That's not why I run, but it is good to know

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I should print this out to hand to all my acquaintances who question why I run since it will hurt my knees!  Oh, and also to the people who say, "Oh, I can't run - it's bad for my knees."

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I should print this out to hand to all my acquaintances who question why I run since it will hurt my knees!  Oh, and also to the people who say, "Oh, I can't run - it's bad for my knees."

I hear this a lot, as well as the variation, "My knees are no good so I can't run."

Joann Y

I hear this a lot, as well as the variation, "My knees are no good so I can't run."

I hear this too. Maybe if these people used their knees, they would work better. Same with the brain, works better when you use it.

Half Fanatic #846

I like to respond to dumb knee comments by saying "My knees are really strong because I run".

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Joann Y

Maybe a better comment would be "don't think about it so much, you might hurt yourself".

I use, "Fortunately, I know better".  Last used on an RN that told me that I needed to drink some ridiculous amount of water every day.

ymmv

A young guy told me his college professor told him running is bad for his knees. I told him to ask the guy if studying is bad for his brain.

If using some body part for its intended purpose was bad for it, then there would be no obese people: their jaws would give out first.

Old and slow, I know about that!   Finished the Seattle Marathon a month and  a half ago, my 5th or 6th. Bob- good luck on your upcoming race- when and where is it? For us old guys I feel that  to finish is quite an accomplishment, even if it takes 5 or 6 hours. You will feel great about it after you finish. (Maybe even during.)

Jeff F

Free Beer

One of my responses to people who tell me running will ruin my knees.  I tell them, "if that is true I can always get new knees, but it is more difficult to replace a heart when it stops beating..."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

One of my responses to people who tell me running will ruin my knees.  I tell them, "if that is true I can always get new knees, but it is more difficult to replace a heart when it stops beating..."

I like that one!