Sarasota "Grouper" Run - My First Half Marathon Report (Read 527 times)

Beatin' on the Rock

It's taken me this long to absorb everything that happened Sunday. Big grin On my way to the event - about 5 am - I got a call from my long-time 'Body for Life' email pal Diane. She flew in to Tampa the night before, rented a car, drove down to Sarasota, slept a bit in a hotel parking lot... and she's meeting me at the race! We'd never met in person, mind you; just corresponded via email for 8 years. (Diane actually WON the Body for Life Challenge in 2001, she's a bit of a celeb to me, so I was doubly anxious as I got to the starting line.) Diane showed up just before the start - looking amazingly fit, wearing her very heavy EAS Champions leather jacket and carrying a backpack. We had little time to hug and chat, so she started running with my pal Kim and I - carrying her stuff! It was a GORGEOUS day. At 6 am, the temp was about 55*F. Starting in the dark was surreal. I'll never forget the sound of all those footfalls and excited chattering. Diane and I were trying to run while talking a LOT. At mile 2, she stopped for a potty break and planned to turn around and go to the start to wait. Kim and I kept going, picked up the pace a bit. Our first few miles were slower than even I usually go - about 15 mm! We did the next 5 at my usual long run pace - 13:30 or so. The Ringling Bridge was the halfway point - it's a big, steep incline! I was glad to have run it before. There was a drum circle pounding out a great beat, helping my short legs to keep moving. The sun was coming up over the bay - it was cool and very beautiful. There was a crooner at the bayfront, singing some Michael Buble, and I actually sang back to him! On the way back over the bridge, Kim had to walk, and one of my goals was to run the whole thing, so I went on alone. Guess who I saw coming up the other way? Diane - carrying her leather jacket and backpack and chatting away with some gals! I felt so good for miles 7 - 11; really smooth. My pal Shwim surprised me from the sidelines, cheering for me - it felt great! I was actually hungry after about 2 hours. I found Starburst to be the boost I needed - after the intitial chew, I molded it to the roof of my mouth and I just swallowed the sweet/sour goodness as it melted. Wink The fastest marathoners then started passing me, so I figured I wasn't going to meet my secret goal - finishing in under 3 hours. The last few miles were back through the Indian River neighborhood of big, bayfront homes and old, shady trees. There were folks in their robes and slippers standing out in their yards with thier morning coffee, cheering for us. The volunteers were wonderful, calling out and smiling at the water stops; I so appreciated knowing exactly how much further I had to go as my legs were beginning to get numb, but I did NOT want to walk. The finish was set up amongst the giant banyan trees in front of Ca D'Zan, John and Mable Ringling's bayfront mansion. Rounding the final turn into the corral, I saw my friends and family smiling and cheering, and an announcer called out my name just as I caught sight of the finish clock: 2:57:20! I had to keep going for a bit after crossing because I was so emotional. Blush I got to spend the day with my wonderful, beautiful old friend Diane, who crossed that finish line carrying all her stuff! I am so amazed that Mr. Higdon's training plan worked for a non-runner like me. I am not very good at math, but I must have been going quite a bit faster those last 6 miles. I ran easy, reached all my goals, and enjoyed every minute of my first half marathon. Modifies to add this stolen image Evil grin Photobucket
    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
      Congrats on reaching both of your goals! Glad you finally got your race report posted. Tongue Great Race! Jason
        I am so amazed that Mr. Higdon's training plan worked for a non-runner like me. I ran easy, reached all my goals, and enjoyed every minute of my first half marathon.
        After reading that second sentence, the first sentence makes no sense at all. Smile You had a great plan, and flawless execution. Way to go!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Ringmaster

Sally, waiting for your report was worth it--I actually teared up reading it! YOU DID IT! What's with calling yourself a "non-runner"? You ran your race, baby--every step of the way. You trained, you planned, you strategized--don't you dare sell yourself short. Be proud of your accomplishment: you deserve it! You didn't reach your goals by accident, and even good ol' Mr. Higdon didn't do it for you: YOU DID IT. I'm glad you had great race day weather, good friend support, and, it sounds like, fantastic race organization. WAY TO GO, SALLY! Still wearing that medal, I hope? When's our next one? Big grin

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
          Mile by Mile

Prince of Fatness

I was wondering how you did, and just found this report now. If you weren't a runner before, you certainly are one now. Congratulations.

Not at it at all. 

After reading that second sentence, the first sentence makes no sense at all. Smile You had a great plan, and flawless execution. Way to go!
              I agree. Preparing for and accomplishing your goals gives you a fantastic feeling that you won't soon forget and inspires others to work towards their own goals. Great report and nice to hear about hooking up with your long time friend. AWESOME!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sally, thanks for such a great race report! You gave me, another "non-runner" (not really, but I know what you mean!), hope that I can do the same thing come September! Congratulations! Teresa

Big Chicken!

Woo-Hoo Sally!!!! Way to go! You ARE a runner. YOU ROCK!!
                  Kris C Running away from the couch one mile at a time!
                  wbertha

FANTASTIC JOB!!! You are a runner. Keep wearing that medal...hey, you even deserve to sleep with it on. Now, when's the next half marathon??? wbertha
                    Kimmie

Loved your report! Way to go!
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How awesome...what a great way to knock out your first HM! Isn't that a fantastic distance?! I'm so glad you and Diane finally got to meet up...what a great surprise! Sound like your day couldn't have been any better. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay