Has this ever happened to you? (Read 555 times)

I was running in the Calif Intl Marathon last month and after about 3 miles my race number fell off. I was using one of those belts that the number attaches to-I've used this belt several times in the past without any problems. Now, I realize that dropping stuff during a race with this many entants one would usually just forget about it and keep on going but this was my number. I had visions of being pulled off the course about a mile from the finish or being denied a finishers medal. Also, I wouldn't be able to get my gear bag at the finish (not easily, anyway). So I stopped, and trying to make myself as thin as possible, sidestepping backwards towards my number that was flutttering around about 30' away. Feeling like a salmon swimming upstream, continually apoligizing to my fellow runners, I finally was able to retrieve the bib. I hand carried the number for the rest of the race. Other than causing other runners to have to divert around me, I don't think I caused any other problems but I still feel kinda bad about the whole mess. What would you have done?
      That sucks. But I would've done the same thing. Something to be said for good old fashioned safety pins.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

Something to be said for good old fashioned safety pins.
        ... as long as you make sure that they are not at the same height as the old nipples. Once made the mistake of having the bib too high and wondered why I had blood on my shirt (the safety pin brushing against my nipple). Angry Can you imagine the pain when I went in the shower after the race. Shocked This is one mistake I will NEVER make again. Neil ps Back to the original post - I'd have done the same thing. Smile

Running ... just keep running!

I'm one of those runners who religiously use 4 safety pins to secure my number and get a little concerned if I only have two pins. I don't know that I would have gone back for the number if it was not in a thinned out crowd. But you would have had to go through some extra steps to retrieve your bag at the end. And of course some marathons have finisher's shirts for which your bib is required in order to pick it up. So I can see some circumstances I would want the number and others just not a big deal. But no, I've never had your incident happen to me. Big grin
          USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010

I'm one of those runners who religiously use 4 safety pins to secure my number and get a little concerned if I only have two pins.
            I'm the same way, and also have never had that happen. I'd have done the same thing in your situation.

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)