Why no carbonation? (Read 320 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I know someone who swears there are reliable studies proving that carbonization sucks the calcium out of your bones.  He also believes consuming milk products sucks the calcium out of your bones.

I don't drink sodas, carbonated or otherwise, but it's because I don't really like them.  Not because my bones fear them.

I imagine giving up all sodas would force a typical person to consider everything else they're consuming, leading to the prospect of weight loss.

Or you can just run a lot.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Strict WTF adherent

Any dark-colored colas contain phosphates, which inhibit calcium absorption. 

This is why we need to bring back CRYSTAL PEPSI

A Saucy Wench

I know someone who swears there are reliable studies proving that carbonization sucks the calcium out of your bones.

The mayo clinic disagrees.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

These are the same idiots who think "fat free" means they can eat the whole box of cookies.

Wait...what?

But seriously, this is all making me think I'll be okay.  I probably do need to cut back...aspartame and such...but I do count calories fairly religiously, so I don't think I'm susceptible to that mindset.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Hip Redux

I know someone who swears there are reliable studies proving that carbonization sucks the calcium out of your bones.  He also believes consuming milk products sucks the calcium out of your bones.

Someone told me eating too much spinach would also do the same.  

I've heard many times that carbonated drinks - diet or "regular" - are bad for you, that weight loss is easier if you give them up. 

ditch the unwanted side-effects by firstly freezing the soda & then chopping it into small cub...oh, never mind.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

bhearn

FTW

A Saucy Wench

Wait...what?

But seriously, this is all making me think I'll be okay.  I probably do need to cut back...aspartame and such...but I do count calories fairly religiously, so I don't think I'm susceptible to that mindset.

In all seriousness.  There are people who think there is an insulin response, there are people who dont.  I've seen stuff about cravings, others think it is crap.  The most realistic thing I saw is that some people react badly to it and some dont.  I didn't magically see weight loss when I gave up diet soda.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

We all grew up being told we needed to drink our milk in order to have strong bones. However, there seems to be a correlation between consumption of diary products and hip-bone replacements. Go figure.....

The explanation I have heard for this is that dairy products cause acidity in the body whioch dissolves the calcium.

Full disclosure: source for the correlation and the explanation is a Cornell scientist who is involved in "Forks over Knives" which promotes a plant-based diet. He actually grew up on a diary farm, and came to the above conclusions during his research.

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Drink nothing sweetened, whether with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Carbonation is okay if it is without any sweetener, whether sugar or artificial. Seltzer? Rock on.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Carbonation is okay if it is without any sweetener, whether sugar or artificial. Seltzer? Rock on.

Yep, agreed.

It's not the carbonation--it's the sweeteners and other lab-created chemicals that can cause problems.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

joescott

We all grew up being told we needed to drink our milk in order to have strong bones. However, there seems to be a correlation between consumption of diary products and hip-bone replacements. Go figure.....

The explanation I have heard for this is that dairy products cause acidity in the body whioch dissolves the calcium.

Full disclosure: source for the correlation and the explanation is a Cornell scientist who is involved in "Forks over Knives" which promotes a plant-based diet. He actually grew up on a diary farm, and came to the above conclusions during his research.

More hooey.  If this were true I would have had 23 hip replacements in my life by now.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

More hooey.  If this were true I would have had 23 hip replacements in my life by now.

My husband grew up drinking milk by the gallon and I only had the bare

minimum on my cereal.  Hated milk.  Neither of us has bone / hip problems Wink

steph  

Whatever you do...do NOT drink carbonated milk!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Prince of Fatness

There is residual sugar in beer.  Is that OK?

Not at it at all.