Why no carbonation? (Read 320 times)

gpb

Or you can just run a lot.

Trouble is, running too much will make your uterus fall out.   

Walk-Jogger

We all grew up being told we needed to drink our milk in order to have strong bones. However, there seems to be a correlation between consumption of diary products and hip-bone replacements. Go figure.....

The explanation I have heard for this is that dairy products cause acidity in the body whioch dissolves the calcium.

Full disclosure: source for the correlation and the explanation is a Cornell scientist who is involved in "Forks over Knives" which promotes a plant-based diet. He actually grew up on a diary farm, and came to the above conclusions during his research.

Oddly enough, running has made me thirsty for milk. As an adult I almost never drank milk by the glass until I started running. I  always had it on my breakfast cereal every day, but now I get thirsty for a tall glass of milk and drink a lot of it in addition to having it on my breakfast cereal.

Retired &  Loving It

ultramarathon/triathlete

" I know someone who swears there are reliable studies proving that carbonization sucks the calcium out of your bones.  He also believes consuming milk products sucks the calcium out of your bones."

"The mayo clinic disagrees."

The mayo clinic disagrees with what?

That there are reliable studies?

That the is no correlation between carbonization and calcium sucking?

Or that consuming milk products sucks calcium, or that it doesn't?

If it's ANY of the above, I'd love to read about it more.   But, despite being a reliable hospital, I'd want to know there exists more than 1 study on any of the above topics before I consider changing my diet.

Until then, more carbonated cheese please!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

Trouble is, running too much will make your uterus fall out.   

And apparently it will make your hip break.  Which is my current problem. Probably because milk products sucked my calcium out of my bones.  Or because I'm an old lady.

My uterus is good, because I keep it in my wife and she runs a lot less that I used to before I broke my hip, old lady style.

(To be fair, she keeps my balls in her purse, so unless she leaves it outside in the cold, they're never blue).

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

For me, regular soda and diet soda are both addictive.  Why?  Don't care, but probably because of the caffiene and/or sugar and/or diet sweetner.  They are made to sell, and made to taste good.  No surprise that people can get addicted.

Sodas also have no nutritional value.  No need for them, but we like to drink them anyway.  I quit.

Sodas, for me, were associated with my fat lifestyle.  Whether it was sugar sweet taste, or the diet sweetner taste, real whole foods didn't go with it.  For me, an apple doesn't go well with a Coke. Nor does an orange.  Nor a banana. What does go well with a Coke is chips and candy bars and ice cream.  So I wasn't eating well when drinking soda.

When I quit soda, my dentist told me to skip seltzer water, because it is just as bad for the teeth as soda.  I wasn't concerned about my teeth (not as the primary reason) when I quit soda, but after talking to my dentist, he said going to straight water would be best.  Evidentally carbonated water and carbonated soda both have carbonic acid that is not good for teeth.  Just saying what my dentist told me.  He was glad to see me quit soda.

Based on my experience, I believe 100% that not drinking soda makes it easier for me to stay away from snacks, and not have to eat as often as I used to.  Quitting soda helped me lose weight by making it much easier to eat less and eat healthy.  Made it easier for me.

lagwagon

I love these threads, learning so much.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

For me, regular soda and diet soda are both addictive.  Why?  Don't care, but probably because of the caffiene and/or sugar and/or diet sweetner.  They are made to sell, and made to taste good.  No surprise that people can get addicted.

Sodas also have no nutritional value.  No need for them, but we like to drink them anyway.  I quit.

Sodas, for me, were associated with my fat lifestyle.  Whether it was sugar sweet taste, or the diet sweetner taste, real whole foods didn't go with it.  For me, an apple doesn't go well with a Coke. Nor does an orange.  Nor a banana. What does go well with a Coke is chips and candy bars and ice cream.  So I wasn't eating well when drinking soda.

When I quit soda, my dentist told me to skip seltzer water, because it is just as bad for the teeth as soda.  I wasn't concerned about my teeth (not as the primary reason) when I quit soda, but after talking to my dentist, he said going to straight water would be best.  Evidentally carbonated water and carbonated soda both have carbonic acid that is not good for teeth.  Just saying what my dentist told me.  He was glad to see me quit soda.

Based on my experience, I believe 100% that not drinking soda makes it easier for me to stay away from snacks, and not have to eat as often as I used to.  Quitting soda helped me lose weight by making it much easier to eat less and eat healthy.  Made it easier for me.

That's an interesting perspective, thanks.

Me...I'll keep considering it, but I really don't think I correlate diet soda with unhealthy foods.  I can understand how someone would, and sure, Diet Coke does pair well with a Snickers bar, but I can absolutely drink it with a banana.  Or oatmeal.  Or baby carrots, or what-have-you.  Matter of fact, sometimes having a can helps me stave off cravings...my theory is the CO2 expanding in my stomach makes it think it's fuller than it is.  At any rate, I can't stand drinking just plain water, except while running.  Can't explain why.

The dental health aspect is a good point to consider, and is one of the reasons I'm trying to cut back, drinking mostly Crystal-Light-style mix-ins.  Yes, yes, I know: "ASPARTAME! CHEMICALZ!"  But I figure if it keeps me from downing two liters of Diet Coke a day, the lack of whateverium benzoate makes it an overall win.

And by the way, I do go for Caffeine-free when possible.  The taste doesn't bother me, and I don't notice any difference in alertness, I just like The Fizzy.  That said, maybe I should try seltzer water.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Feeling the growl again

Evidentally carbonated water and carbonated soda both have carbonic acid that is not good for teeth.  Just saying what my dentist told me.  

Whenever you put carbon dioxide in water, you will produce an acidic solution.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AbbyDog

If you like fizzy, you should try Hammer Fizz.

That's an interesting perspective, thanks.

Me...I'll keep considering it, but I really don't think I correlate diet soda with unhealthy foods.  I can understand how someone would, and sure, Diet Coke does pair well with a Snickers bar, but I can absolutely drink it with a banana.  Or oatmeal.  Or baby carrots, or what-have-you.  Matter of fact, sometimes having a can helps me stave off cravings...my theory is the CO2 expanding in my stomach makes it think it's fuller than it is.  At any rate, I can't stand drinking just plain water, except while running.  Can't explain why.

The dental health aspect is a good point to consider, and is one of the reasons I'm trying to cut back, drinking mostly Crystal-Light-style mix-ins.  Yes, yes, I know: "ASPARTAME! CHEMICALZ!"  But I figure if it keeps me from downing two liters of Diet Coke a day, the lack of whateverium benzoate makes it an overall win.

And by the way, I do go for Caffeine-free when possible.  The taste doesn't bother me, and I don't notice any difference in alertness, I just like The Fizzy.  That said, maybe I should try seltzer water.

joescott

Just had a nice big glass of my homemade kefir.  Talk about a major health catastrophe.  Made from milk.  Acidic from the culturing/fermentation process.  And when I've done it wrong (or right, depending on one's perspective) it turns out with a bit of natural carbonation and even a detectable amount of alcohol.  Oh my.  Now my hip is going to break, my teeth are going to fall out and heaven knows what other bad things will befall me.  Oh yeah, I won't be able to run as fast, either.  I've been sweetening it with a modest amount of dried cane juice, or as I like to call it, sugar, but maybe I should switch to aspartame just to complete the health trifecta, baby!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Whenever you put carbon dioxide in water, you will produce an acidic solution.

Ah, missed that part.  Well, I hear they're making big strides in denture technology these days, so I have that to fall back on.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just had a nice big glass of my homemade kefir.  Talk about a major health catastrophe.  Made from milk.  Acidic from the culturing/fermentation process.  And when I've done it wrong (or right, depending on one's perspective) it turns out with a bit of natural carbonation and even a detectable amount of alcohol.  Oh my.  Now my hip is going to break, my teeth are going to fall out and heaven knows what other bad things will befall me.  Oh yeah, I won't be able to run as fast, either.  I've been sweetening it with a modest amount of dried cane juice, or as I like to call it, sugar, but maybe I should switch to aspartame just to complete the health trifecta, baby!

Ugh, you're putting BACTERIA in your stomach!! 

ultramarathon/triathlete

Bacteria eat bones.  It's well documented.  If you eat anything with bacteria, even yogurt, your bones will be eaten and you'll eventually be a sack of skin and blood (with some other non-bone things in there).  BUT, you won't have to worry about shin splints, hip fractures, bone spurs, etc.  So that's the plus side.

This morning I ate a piece of toast covered with lead paint.   Totally safe.  No milk, non carbonated, and it was definitely not soda.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                            Gatorade Endurance Team

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/31/carbonated-water-not-bad-you

Carbonation and dental health

Carbonation results in the formation of carbonic acid, which gives plain carbonated water its distinctive flavor, but neither carbonation nor carbonic acid seem to have a significant effect on tooth enamel erosion. According to a 2001 study published in the Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, “sparkling mineral waters showed slightly greater dissolution than still waters, but levels remained low and were of the order of one hundred times less than the comparator soft drinks.” If you’re swilling multiple sugary, acidic colas every day, you’re going to have eroded tooth enamel, cavities, and a whopping dentist’s bill, but don’t fault the carbonation in sparkling water, it's not bad for you.

SheCan

I'm more than a little convinced that the sugar industry pushes the diet coke is poison.  I drink diet sodas all the time, and I realize that its a really bad habit, like many other habits are, BUT, I'm 48 years old, and it really hasn't yet made me fat like I've been warned.  I don't feel the need to make up all those "lost" calories.  I ended up with lots of fillings when I used to drink sugary drinks, sodas and non-carbonated sugary teas, etc.  So many of my teeth problems disappeared once I stopped drinking sugar so much.

I really like diet poison, so I keep drinking it, but not before a run.  I don't like gas, and burping.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson