Why no carbonation? (Read 320 times)

semajdunn

Carbonation adds more carbon dioxide to your system for your blood to transport to your lungs to exhale.  If your system is loaded down with extra carbon dioxide being picked up in the intestines by your red blood cells then it has less reds blood cells available to transport the carbon dioxide from the muscles and you will be fatigued sooner.  For the average Joe that drinks carbonated drinks quitting would provide a similar benefit to a top athlete increasing their red blood cell count.  I am not a doctor or a chemist but this is how I resolved my junior high coach's constant reminders that we should quit drinking pop.  It cuts your wind.  I don't believe coaches just made that up for no reason.  Anything you put in your body must find a way out.  Think about how your body gets rid of carbon dioxide.

mikeymike

Carbonation adds more carbon dioxide to your system for your blood to transport to your lungs to exhale.  If your system is loaded down with extra carbon dioxide being picked up in the intestines by your red blood cells then it has less reds blood cells available to transport the carbon dioxide from the muscles and you will be fatigued sooner.  For the average Joe that drinks carbonated drinks quitting would provide a similar benefit to a top athlete increasing their red blood cell count.  I am not a doctor or a chemist but this is how I resolved my junior high coach's constant reminders that we should quit drinking pop.  It cuts your wind.  I don't believe coaches just made that up for no reason.  Anything you put in your body must find a way out.  Think about how your body gets rid of carbon dioxide.

Now I'm no physiology expert but I did take honors biology my sophomore year in high school (29 years ago) and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once. This reeks of utter nonsense.

I can think of plenty of reasons your 7th grade coach didn't want you drinking lots of soda and none of them require him/her having the slightest understanding of human respiration and cardiovascular function.

It cuts your wind?? C'mon, man!!

Runners run

I also remember my dentist saying about carbonated drinks that with regard to teeth he tells his patients that they can slam all the soda they want, and no problem with teeth.  But if they sip it, like people tend to do while sitting at a computer all day, then that is a dissaster waiting to happen.

Guess the key factor is how many hours a day the teeth are exposed to the acid.  So, slam down your Coke in one gulp, run a couple extra miles a day, eat only whole organically raised moonbeam foods, and you should be ok!

A Saucy Wench

Beer makes you sing slightly flat.  That's what my vocal director said.  She said if you were going to drink the night before a performance, drink spirits, not beer.   Hops affect the vocal cords.

There is a theory for everything

As for the teeth thing...seltzer eroding teeth falls way way way below the damage done by...fruit.  So quit eating.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

DaBurger

Beer makes you sing slightly flat.  That's what my vocal director said.  She said if you were going to drink the night before a performance, drink spirits, not beer.   Hops affect the vocal cords.

There is a theory for everything

The day of performances, one bass singer I knew would avoid coffee all day, and have a shot or two before the show to relax his vocal cords.

Know thyself.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/31/carbonated-water-not-bad-you

Carbonation and dental health

Carbonation results in the formation of carbonic acid, which gives plain carbonated water its distinctive flavor, but neither carbonation nor carbonic acid seem to have a significant effect on tooth enamel erosion. According to a 2001 study published in the Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, “sparkling mineral waters showed slightly greater dissolution than still waters, but levels remained low and were of the order of one hundred times less than the comparator soft drinks.” If you’re swilling multiple sugary, acidic colas every day, you’re going to have eroded tooth enamel, cavities, and a whopping dentist’s bill, but don’t fault the carbonation in sparkling water, it's not bad for you.

But, but...I saw this one article that said there had been a study which showed that a diet soda junkie and a meth addict (both of whom reported terrible dental hygiene) had the same terrible teeth!

Re: carbon dioxide being added to your bloodstream...isn't most, if not all, the CO2 in soda released as a gas (loudly) before could be absorbed by the blood going through the intestines?

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Think about how your body gets rid of carbon dioxide.

It's called belching. I may not know anything about physiology, but I've participated in a Beer Mile or two.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

There is residual sugar in beer.  Is that OK?

Curious that Trent hasn't responded to this.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

Curious that Trent hasn't responded to this.

+1, but if I had to guess he was having fun arguing about calories and got distracted.

Not at it at all. 

I'll act as an expert, since I actually work for a place that sells CO2 to places that put it in cans for you to injest.

There's about 2grams of Co2 in a 12 ounce can of about anything (varies based on the drink). You breathe in about 0.003grams of CO2 with each breath. Anyway, a huge part escapes when you open the can, and continues to escape as the drink is open, the pressure relieved and the CO2 given a way out. What's still dissolved in the drink when you injest it goes into you, and is absorbed through your gut at a rate far far slower than just the everyday breathing CO2 you take in is turned around.

No wind stealing. No bone crushing. No soul sucking. Sorry.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                      gpb

How about alphabet belching?

semajdunn

From the responses from the experts none disagree that some of the carbonated water is absorbed by the bloodstream so even if it is readily expelled during normal expiration it would still limit performance to some small degree for a person competing outside their aerobic zone which anyone racing would be.  It just a matter of how much performance is robbed.  Not a matter of whether or not it happens.  Even the extra weight of the carbonated water would limit performance unless you are also going to tell me it provides energy in which case it should have calories.

From the responses from the experts none disagree that some of the carbonated water is absorbed by the bloodstream so even if it is readily expelled during normal expiration it would still limit performance to some small degree for a person competing outside their aerobic zone which anyone racing would be.  It just a matter of how much performance is robbed.  Not a matter of whether or not it happens.  Even the extra weight of the carbonated water would limit performance unless you are also going to tell me it provides energy in which case it should have calories.

You should cut your shoelaces one mm shorter. The weight in that extra length of lace is robbing your performance. Look for that edge wherever you can find it, man.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'll act as an expert, since I actually work for a place that sells CO2 to places that put it in cans for you to injest.

There's about 2grams of Co2 in a 12 ounce can of about anything (varies based on the drink). You breathe in about 0.003grams of CO2 with each breath. Anyway, a huge part escapes when you open the can, and continues to escape as the drink is open, the pressure relieved and the CO2 given a way out. What's still dissolved in the drink when you injest it goes into you, and is absorbed through your gut at a rate far far slower than just the everyday breathing CO2 you take in is turned around.

Of course I don't believe anything you wrote because you admitted working for the enemy  ;-P   AND you're tall and I mistrust tall folk.

But I think the takeaway is we should all stop breathing and our bones will be stronger and quit worrying about some BS about carbonation harming us.

On a related note, the only time you should drink soda is when it's offered on a race course and it's black, and not diet, and they shook out all the carbonation before putting it on the aid table.  But you should still BUY carbonated beverages so Kevin can stay in business.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

A Saucy Wench

On a related note, the only time you should drink soda is when it's offered on a race course and it's black, and not diet, and they shook out all the carbonation before putting it on the aid table.  But you should still BUY carbonated beverages so Kevin can stay in business.

I'm Kevin's best friend then.  I go through a couple cases of seltzer a week.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7