How often do you race? (Read 531 times)

sugnim

I am trying to plan my race schedule for 2013.  2012 was my first full year of running, and I pretty much just signed up for whatever race sounded fun.  It turns out I did 14 races this year.  Next year, I want to be a little more selective about which races I choose, and I hope to mostly do trail races.  How often do you race?  Do you plan to race more or less in the coming year?

xor

I plan on racing far far less.  However, it is kind of a trick question because it is partly dependent on race distances and one's race goals.

Mr MattM

Some years I have raced relatively often.  The past 2 years, not so much.  Next year?  Yes, more.

be curious; not judgmental

sugnim

I plan on racing far far less.  However, it is kind of a trick question because it is partly dependent on race distances and one's race goals.

Nah, no tricks here.  Feel free to mention distance, frequency, post-race snacks, or however you look at your racing.

DoppleBock

I really cannot run a race "Easy"

You could race a 5k almost every weekend - Maybe every other.

I found in 2012 I ran too many longer ones marathon and beyond.  When I ran 2-3 marathons a year and then a bunch of shorter stuff - 14 was a pretty good number.

I agree that it is a matter of distance raced, intensity you race at and how fast your recover.  I can run 2 good marathon - 50 mile races 2 weeks apart, but the 2nd one pretty much destroys me.

Enjoy your 2013!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

With road racing you can substitute a 5k-10k race for one of the speed workouts in the week. Marathon-50Mile could be a nice long run if you are willing to run easy.

DoppleBock

x2 post

Arimathea

Tessa

A lot depends on how fast you go, how much you push yourself, and where you are. One big factor in my racing frequency is my bank account -- with one kid in college and one in his senior year of HS, I can't afford to enter as many races as I would like.

In 2012, I did 3 ultras, 6 fulls, and 3 halfs. I don't think I did any shorter races. 2011, 2 ultras, 1 half, and 9 fulls. So 12 a year for the past two years. I'm not sure how many I'm going to do for 2013, I'm waiting to see how many of the classes I'm scheduled to teach in the spring get enough enrollment to run. Because the more classes run, the more I run!

mikeymike

After Saturday I will have raced 15 times in 2012 but most of that was in the 2nd half of the year.

I don't have a specific goal for number of races but if all goes as planned I will probably race 20 to 25 times in 2013.

Runners run

DoppleBock

If all goes well in 2013, I will race

2-3 5ks

2-3 5 milers

2 10ks

1-2 Marathons

1-30 miler

1-2 50 milers

1-100 miler

10-13 races (250-300 miles)

2012 I ran

1-5k

1-5 miler

1- 1/2M

4-marathons

3-50ks

1-6hour (42 miles)

1-50 miler

3x24 hour race (128.66 / 124.5 / 84.5 miles)

15 races (648 miles)

HM + 4 training races = 5

local trail series (each has 5K or 15K option) = 6 [NOTE: I've never done the full series before, but would like to this year if I can get to all the races]

trail 5 miler near my house = 1

7 miler we always do just because = 1

trail marathon = 1

50K to be determined = 1

That's 15 off the top of my head, not counting spur of the moment things like when a friend calls up and says "Hey, let's do the 5K benefit for my kid's school" or "They have hot chocolate at the Christmas 10K" or whatever.

xor

I entered 32 events.

I completed 24 events.

I DNFed 3 events.  Rocky Raccoon 100 in February, Rainer to Ruston 50 miler in June, and White River 50 in July.

I DNSed 5 events. Ouch.

All the DNSes and 2 of the DNFs were related to my health.  RR was different... I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I badly bruised my sesamoid bones in my right foot and then spent 30ish miles compensating by running on my heel which badly bruised the heel and inflamed my plantar fascia.

In 2013, I hope to run 3-5.  I plan on racing 2 of them.  But the "plan" is more a santy claus wish.

It all depends on your goals.  If racing is primarily a social activity, then 14/year may not be enough Smile

If longer races than what you have done so far are on your radar, then it would be very helpful to pick 2-3 of them as "goal" races, filling in the rest with shorter distances, and leaving a month or so after each goal race for recovery.  Treat any trail marathon/ultra as a goal race.  Some trail 50Ks are equivalent to a double marathon in time/exertion to finish.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I would like to do a fall trail race.

I doubt I will ever run a summer race again.

I think people race too much and don't prepare enough

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

npaden

In 2012 I ran the following races.

Local club races.  $5 fee with a $15 annual membership.

February - 14K

April - 15K

May - 11 miler

June - 10K

July - 10 miler

September - 10K

October - 5K

November - Half Marathon

December - 4 mile XC.

I had one destination race, my goal Half Marathon back in April.

I had one other race, a 5K Make a Wish race that I set my PR on.

So 9 local club races, 1 destination race, and 1 other.

That's about what I would expect to do again in 2013.

Age: 50 Weight: 224 Height: 6'3" (Goal weight 195)

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)