Define 'Bandit' (Read 1314 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, you're a bandit. The organizers spend a lot of time and effort, and probably money, arranging the necessary permits, security, ambulances, etc. Not to mention the volunteers, who are probably there because they support the organization and not for random runners. Someone who crashes a wedding is still a wedding crasher, even if they don't drink from the open bar.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

A Saucy Wench

I prefer this kind of pie... What was this topic about again?? MTA: I screwed up the image link.
      Shit. Now I am hungry.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Are we there yet?

I say its a free country, 85 bucks is a lot for a race!! Your donation will not be missed. Cool

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, you're a bandit. The organizers spend a lot of time and effort, and probably money, arranging the necessary permits, security, ambulances, etc. Not to mention the volunteers, who are probably there because they support the organization and not for random runners. Someone who crashes a wedding is still a wedding crasher, even if they don't drink from the open bar.
              I think you're glossing over the most important facet -- the venue. Is the wedding in a private residence, a rented area in a public area, or smack out in the open in a public park? The analogy to the OP is that it is smack out in a public park. If a wedding is occurring in Central Park, I cannot see to agree that it is wrong for other people to go out and enjoy Central Park. To try to keep the analogy closer, perhaps the OP is normally afraid of Central Park -- afraid of certain unsavory characters which hover around it (these obviously stand in for auto drivers, certainly an unsavory bunch). But because the wedding is going on in Central Park, it is now a safer area. I cannot find fault with the OP for going out and enjoying Central Park now that there is a big wedding crowd out enjoying it, making it safer by their presence. Also, I do not expect the OP to buy a wedding gift, as OP is not there as a wedding guest, but just as a member of the public community who enjoys right of access to the park, and enjoys its usage. In actual fact, I have seen a friend running in a race. When I asked her about it afterward, she said she was wondering why the people around her were breathing so hard. It was in a public park, and she was running it as she regularly does; she simply happened to be unaware that a race happened to be scheduled then. It was very amusing to discuss afterward. I disagree with the point-of-view that she was doing something morally wrong, when she was in actual fact simply running her regular run, in public access roadway. But I have to say, Jeff's answer was the one which made me LOL:
              If you do bandit, then run like you stole something.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Yes, kudos to Mr not-Phil for the true Bandit. I came back into this thread to add that... in fact, that exact shot from the movie... and was beaten. A tip of my potato cap to you, sir.

Dave

Did anyone else notice how much that picture looks like the SNL version of him? I'll take Japan US relations for 600 Alex.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

To elaborate this further, and to try to cross over from the clearly "no wrong" analogy toward the bandit side: If Adam runs on the race course unknowingly, as part of his regular run, and the race course is public access (and not closed to public during the race), I say Adam did no wrong. If Barbara runs on the race course knowingly as part of her regular run, and the race course is public access (and not closed to public during the race), I say Barbara did no wrong. If Charlie runs on the race course unknowingly, as a course he uses occasionially, and the race course is public access (and not closed to public during the race), I say Charlie did no wrong. If Daphne runs on the race course knowingly, as a course she uses occasionally, and the race course is public access (and not closed to public during the race), do we say if Daphne intended to enjoy the greater safety of the course that day because there were more runners on it than normal, that Daphne did wrong? Here it is becoming less clear perhaps. But, if we say this is wrong of Daphne, what of some other similar scenarios, below? What if Manhattan Runner's Club has a Saturday afternoon club run in Central Park, and Edward decides to run with them, without joining their club. Has Edward done wrong? Do we have to hinge this decision on whether Manhattan Runner's Club intends their runs to be public or club-only? But, do they really have the right to refuse to let others run while they run -- it is a public park, and if they have no permit to close the park to other public members, how can they rightfully deny others the simultaneous running use?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Yep. Mamaofthree. See what you've wrought? A few years ago I opened up a thread on another site with the question "Do runners still bandit Boston?' I might as well gone on to a PETA website & said " I club baby seals for fun." To Bandit is like Fight Club. And we don't talk about Fight Club. Enjoy. Whatever You Do. F The Man.

Imminent Catastrophe

AmoresPerros, to carry your Central Park analogy further, I have run Central Park during a NYRRC-sponsored run, and also during a Triathlon. I was not a bandit because I did not use any of the race aid stations and did not benefit from the events taking place. But, more importantly, I would have done these runs in Central Park whether or not those events were taking place. The OP stated that he/she would not have done that run on those roads otherwise because they "aren't very safe to run on (unless there's a race going on)". So, she is benefiting from the race, and the organization and security that the organizers expend a great deal of effort on. Again, she's probably not hurting the organizers much but really, if she objects to the organizers so much, couldn't she just find another route to run that day? Then there would be no ethical conflict. I'll be in Boston on Patriot's day but I'm not going to run the Boston Marathon route, even partially, although I could. It's just not right.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

I'll take a stab it at... i'm in the middle of law school finals! We need to protect the interests of the race directors. This is a business and they've been granted the rights to put on an event. The city/whoeverelse has consented to letting them do this and they'ven been given the rights. While running as a bandit may concievably cause no harm... you're not taking away anyone's spot, you are depriving the race directors of the fruits of their labour. They have paid money to close down streets, find volunteers, get permits etc and have a right to be compensated. While one person in themselves may not pose a problem, what if hundreds of runners decided to run as bandits. The race might not be profitable anymore and end up closing down so no one benefits. We call this the free-rider problem. The same is true with news, intellectual property, etc. While you might not be physically stealing, you are depriving people of the fruits of their labour, and taking a personal benefit at the expenses of the majority. Evil grin

Prince of Fatness

Yes, kudos to Mr not-Phil for the true Bandit. I came back into this thread to add that... in fact, that exact shot from the movie... and was beaten. A tip of my potato cap to you, sir.
                            Heh. I would have had him there earlier Mr not-SeƱor but stupid work got in the way. Don't think of it as being beaten. The inevitable just happened. If it wasn't you or me it would have been someone else. Or not.

Not at it at all. 

Imminent Catastrophe

I'll take a stab it at... i'm in the middle of law school finals! We need to protect the interests of the race directors. ...We call this the free-rider problem. The same is true with news, intellectual property, etc. While you might not be physically stealing, you are depriving people of the fruits of their labour, and taking a personal benefit at the expenses of the majority. Evil grin
                              Yeah!

Imminent Catastrophe

Yep. Mamaofthree. See what you've wrought?
                                OT but Peke98, that's a GREAT avatar!