Define 'Bandit' (Read 1314 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The whole "public roads" thing is kinda silly. Police have the power to close public roads, whether for construction, security, or special events. If you're on a closed road in violation of the terms of the closure permit, then you're subject to a fine (and possible arrest if you fail to heed a police directive to vacate). Closing a public road isn't especially difficult. Here's the permit application for Chicago. Its a 2-page form, and it'll cost you $35 dollars to apply. All I ask is that you please don't close the road in front of my house when I need to go to the grocery store. Otherwise, have at it.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Why is it sideways?

The whole "public roads" thing is kinda silly. Police have the power to close public roads, whether for construction, security, or special events. If you're on a closed road in violation of the terms of the closure permit, then you're subject to a fine (and possible arrest if you fail to heed a police directive to vacate). Closing a public road isn't especially difficult. Here's the permit application for Chicago. Its a 2-page form, and it'll cost you $35 dollars to apply. All I ask is that you please don't close the road in front of my house when I need to go to the grocery store. Otherwise, have at it.
      Duh. Of course police have the power. The question at stake is whether or not that power is being employed legitimately. If police began closing busy roads in the middle of the day, the "rights" of the race organization to make money would come into conflict with other "rights." So, whether or not it's a silly question depends on the context. Do you people really think that banditing should be illegal? Wow.
      mikeymike

I find the absolute black-and-whiteness of much of this discussion pretty amusing, and wonder if all y'all carry this sense of moral rightness over to everything you do in your lives?
        The question as to whether you'd be banditing is pretty black and white according to the definition most people use. The fact you read the responses as having a sanctimonious tone really says more about you than about just about everyone else in the thread. It seems you really want to bandit this race but you want someone to say it's okay to bandit the race. Okay, fine. It's okay to bandit this race. Knock yourself out.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

The fact you read the responses as having a sanctimonious tone really says more about you than about just about everyone else in the thread.
          WAIT. You mean that sometimes the way in which I take a post is sometimes different from the intent and attitude of the poster???
            Are you going to put a race number on when you run as a bandit? You know one you kept from a previous race or something? Because otherwise you might think you stick out like a sore thumb....yet I doubt anyone running is going to even notice you ..the race volunteers might. If you start at the half mile mark and end half mile from the finish I don't see alot wrong with that. Because you won't get an officiall time or shirt or anything.

Prince of Fatness

You mean that sometimes the way in which I take a post is sometimes different from the intent and attitude of the poster???
              I have heard that it can happen.
              Right.

Not at it at all. 

Duh. Of course police have the power. The question at stake is whether or not that power is being employed legitimately. If police began closing busy roads in the middle of the day, the "rights" of the race organization to make money would come into conflict with other "rights."
                If you don't like the way the city government is exercising their power, then vote for a different mayor, alderman or city counsel, who will replace the commissioner of public safety, who will send a memo to the department of road management, who will change the regulations for road closure permits, that the police enforce. Duh. Wink

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Why is it sideways?

If you don't like the way the city government is exercising their power, then vote for a different mayor, alderman or city counsel, who will replace the commissioner of public safety, who will send a memo to the department of road management, who will change the regulations for road closure permits, that the police enforce. Duh. Wink
                  Heh. The democratic process at work.
                  celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Heh. The democratic process at work.
                    Or you can complain on a public forum hoping you feel better after writing it. Whatever works. Evil grin

Chris
                    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Why is it sideways?

Or you can complain on a public forum hoping you feel better after writing it. Whatever works. Evil grin
                      Or you can share your ideas, thoughts, and values on a public forum and learn how they differ from others. Smile
                      celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Or you can share your ideas, thoughts, and values on a public forum and learn how they differ from others. Smile
                        Blush That too.

Chris
                        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

I have no opinion on this matter. But my lack of opinion should not detract from the fact that I have the right to assert my non-opinion and therefore have contributed in some way to the progressive forward movement of this thread. (i.e. I'm bored at work...)
                            --Edit --- Sorry meant to quote Jeffs Quote but can not find original--
                            Quote from Jeff on 4/15/2009 at 12:20 PM: Duh. Of course police have the power. The question at stake is whether or not that power is being employed legitimately. If police began closing busy roads in the middle of the day, the "rights" of the race organization to make money would come into conflict with other "rights."
                            Ahhh .... One of mt pet peaves now that the thread has morphed. I hate when I see an "Off Duty" police officer working as a security guard has the nerve to stop traffic on a public road to let church members out of the parking lot. What gives that church and/or that "off duty" cop to stop traffic? Luckily (Not sure for me or cop) , when I usually pass by he is just getting setup waiting to stop traffic when the church goers get out ..... well I tell you what I have no plans on being illegally stopped on a public road (with no normal stop sign/lights) just because somone does not want to wait 30 seconds to get out of church. Have seen similiar things when business employ silimiar practices to make things easier exiting their lots at 5:00PM ... so not just picking on churches. At least a race has requested/recieved some sort of permission / temporary permit.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

mikeymike

Where's that mackerel thingy?

Runners run